Disney's CG Lion King

My feeling about all these Disney movies is that they’re all pretty crap. It’s just regurgitating the same stuff over and over. First we had musicals and we exhausted that; now let’s do CG and live versions. It all reeks of Hollywood desperation. The originals were great and timeless. Why do we need to have remakes? Why not just come up with more original stuff? Or at the very least, why not remake stuff that didn’t work that well the first time, and try to make it work now? Money.

I agree with that, but I think I could understand an argument that moviemaking technology progressed so fast between, say, the 80’s and now that people are driven to make version of the movies which are closer in mind to the epics they thought they were originally but which technology or budgets just couldn’t accommodate.

Which is to say, I believe 100% they’ll be making Lion King again once the technology exists to jack into your brainstem and transmit the movie with infinite surround sound and resolution.

The difference here though, unlike the Jungle book trailer for whatever reason, is this one seems pretty boring, like a nature documentary that you know is fake.

I didn’t really like Malificent, but I appreciated that they didn’t just do a straight retelling.

I did like Malificent, and precisely because they didn’t do a straight retelling.

I would argue that the closer they hew to the animated movies, the worse they’ve been.

Yea I’m in that same camp. I don’t need/want a shot for shot remake. Give me a new perspective and maybe I’ll bite.

I heard they are making these “live action” versions to help maintain their copyrights. Though if that is the case, I don’t know why they didn’t start with a live action “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” or “The Old Mill”.

I just watched the original. Lion Long for… Maybe the 15th time in my life.

I watched it in 1994.

I’ve seen it in 5 different languages and even understood most of them (helps when you alrwdy know the story and dialogue.) It always seemed odd to me that the German version says “forget me not” and not “remember me” - the scene where simba talks to the ghost of his father - and for a very long time I assumed German had no word for “remember.”

It does. Errinern.

Anyway, I am actually curious about the cgi version. I also think Scar gets a bad rap. I was rooting for him to win, even in 1994.

“I’m surrounded by idiots…”

Oddly enough I actually learned “quid pro quo” from this movie.

Scar was always my favorite as a kid. I hated Simba then, and still do now, kinda. Immature, irresponsible brat grows into immature, irresponsible wastrel before being finally dragged, kicking and screaming, toward being moderately helpful by his much smarter, shit-together buddy Nala, who I guess somehow Stockholm Syndromes herself into falling in love with him in the process.

Armando…are you, like, my american cousin or something?

We both like food…we both like Scar… :D

If it makes you feel better, the Lion Guard TV show makes it clear that Simba’s reward is a joyless existence as King, a job he never wanted, and one he’s fairly terrible at. It involves a lot of being forced to attend pointless ceremonies that he obviously hates.

Scar did kill the King, then let the entire kingdom go to hell, starve, etc. Not really a sympathetic villain I think.

I’d argue that the starvation was caused by a lack of rains, I.e. a drought.

Not sure how one can manage that!

Except moving, which he specifically forbade.

Mandate of Heaven, dude.

I think canonically, the Hyenas over-hunted the prey species, because they are greedy and bad stewards of the land.

Most likely true.

I don’t see why Scar couldn’t engineer a conflict between the rest of the lionesses and the hyenas, thin out and occupy the 2 factions…

Anyway, I wonder what Favreau will present us.

Jeremy Irons’ absence leaves us without the original’s best inside joke:

“You’re so weird.”
“You have no idea.”

I always thought that the original’s best inside joke was that in addition the James Earl Jones, Simba’s mom was the queen from Coming to America.

I did not know that!

My favourite inside joke, or rather obscure reference, was when Simba and Nala are singing against Zazu, “I just can’t wait to be King,” and Zazu says “If this is where the monarchy is headed, count me out, out of service, out of Africa, I wouldn’t hang about.”

“Out of Africa” is a reference to this.

Very obscure!

This one is over my head. What’s the punchline?

Famous line from Barbet Schroeder’s movie about Claus von Bulow, in which Jeremy Irons plays von Bulow:

-Tom