Disney's Frozen

What’s the buzz on this? I liked Tangled but the faces on the characters seem identical this time around.

Only feedback I’ve seen so far is a movie review by Jeremy Jahns, a youtube reviewer I follow ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhlEoVkrKVQ ). His movie reviews are lightweight fun, but I tend to find myself agreeing with most of them. And he liked Frozen quite a bit.

I’m cautiously optimistic and will take my daughter to see it.

Wendelius

It’s great. We took my 3 and 4 year olds (boy and girl, respectively) to see it early yesterday and they both loved it. Naturally, my son adored the snowman character while my daughter preferred Elsa. My wife and I really enjoyed it as well. The music is good and it’s stunningly gorgeous at times. It’s funny for adults without being desperate (unlike Shrek) and the message in the end turns the typical Disney story on its head a bit, in a very good way (especially for girls).

In the end, if you enjoyed Tangled at all I think you’ll really enjoy this one as well.

Movie Bob over at Escapist teased it a couple of weeks ago, saying forget everything you saw in the ‘crappy’ trailer.

That said, I like watching his vids, but often find myself disagreeing with them once I get around to seeing a given movie.

I never even heard of Frozen until yesterday, but in 40 minutes of listening to the radio in my car I heard 3 different reviewers say they loved it. On NPR they said it was one of the best movies of the year.

It got a big thumbs up from Jeff Cannata too. I’m generally a bit wary of non-Pixar Disney movies, but I might make an exception for this. I’m a sucker for quality animation, regardless of the script.

It kind of gets fuzzy as to which movies are put out by Disney Animation Studio, Disney Toons (which seems to mostly be a straight-to-DVD shop), and Pixar, but if I’m reading it right, Disney Animation Studio has been batting pretty well in the last few years:

Tangled
Wreck-It Ralph
Princess & The Frog
Winnie the Pooh

By contrast, Pixar has put out the following:

Cars2
Brave
Monsters University
Toy Story 3

Not to take anything away from the excellent TS3 and Brave, but I think I’d put the Disney Animation offerings a little ahead, in the aggregate.

The distinction’s mainly a question of visuals for me these days. Even Pixar’s suckier movies (and a lot of their post-Up output is not great, appeals to me visually. I’m kind of resigned to the fact that Pixar are no longer creating filmic masterpieces on every single outing, but I still get a lot of pleasure out of their visual craftsmanship. Whereas I haven’t really been engaged by Disney’s output for a while (though to be fair there’s a lot of recent stuff I haven’t seen). I like Wreck-It Ralph as a film, but almost entirely for the references and writing, not the animation.

The Princess and the Frog is gorgeous 2D. I’d recommend it for the visuals alone (the story isn’t bad either, but not as good as say Tangled.)

I took my daughter to see this, expecting very little, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Going in, I thought there might be too much emphasis on the dumb snowman character that’s all over the marketing, but he wasn’t overbearing or out of place and had some good bits. It was much more of a musical than I was expecting, and I was pleasantly surprised by how traditionally Disney it was. I’m not an opera fan or follower, but I want to use the word operatic to describe how the songs and story melded quite effectively for me and didn’t feel like a break in the action for a simple diversion (that’s not the case across the board, but when they did work, they really worked on me). I was mostly enamoured with the two main character sisters and their struggles. The emotional beats these two went through managed to hit all of my particular foibles regarding feeling abandoned, unable to be yourself, fear, trusting others, and longing for and understanding love. I’m a little verklempt just thinking about it. I’m a sentimental sap, so take that for what it’s worth.

The animation is not distracting, which is to say that it’s very good and therefore as unnoticeable as it should be. I don’t recall any particular forced “money shots” (an odd term to use on a family film) where the camera is made to do something physically impossible for no other reason than to impress. The snow and ice is rendered nearly perfectly. If I had a complaint I would say that the character style bears too much resemblance to Tangled. It’s not bad here (and I love Tangled), but I do hope that it hasn’t become a “house style” that continues in subsequent films and that we get to see a variety of styles in the future.

One more thing is the short that precedes the feature was pretty great, also. It’s a Mickey Mouse short in the classic black and white style (eg. Steamboat WIllie) that nails that look and goes to some interesting places.

That’s an interesting comment, since the snowman is the reason I’ve been avoiding this one. Perhaps I’ll check it out now that you’ve allayed my fears somewhat.

Not to throw cold water (ha) on this thread, but I think it’s a cute movie if you come in with lowered expectations. As mentioned before, it is VERY derivative of Tangled, but not nearly as good. I would rank it below both Tangled and Princess and the Frog. And for some reason, it felt like there was a song every five minutes, at least during the first half. They felt a little more forced than normal Disney fare, but then again I wasn’t really expecting a musical at all.

All that said, the story took a few unexpected turns, the design and effects were beautiful, and the little snowman (who I expected to hate) was actually quite charming. I think the voice actor nailed the subtle humor without going too over the top. Kids will love it; adults, less so.

“Foot size doesn’t matter!”

I hate to say this, but if you want the boys to hang with this movie, you absolutely have to have this character. This is a total chick-flick otherwise. Which is fine for me. I’m a huge fan of Tangled, Brave, and Little Mermaid, so I have no problem with that concept for an animated movie. But my nine-year-old boy wanted to see this movie opening day because of the Olaf fake-trailer/short with the moose. As we watched I was nervous he wasn’t going to get any payoff from that. Luckily I was wrong.

He loved the movie for all sorts of reasons, but Olaf kept him in it, and his favorite moment was when Olaf split off from Kristoff on their race down the hill. Otherwise it’s all girls being girly girls and learning to express feelings in healthy ways and falling in love. At least in Brave you have Merida kicking ass with a bow and arrow, and in Tangled Rapunzel wields a mean cast iron skillet. Here it is cold girl and spunky girl learning to express their feelings properly. Don’t get me wrong, I loved those characters and the movie works for me, but without Olaf and his butt jokes you can carve out most of the boy demographic altogether.

-xtien

“I don’t have a skull.”

If you asked me why Olaf is such a great character, I would point you to this line. I still can’t put my finger on what is so good about the actor’s performance–his voice seems fairly pedestrian, without any wacky characterization–but the delivery of this line was just perfect. Funny, earnest, straightforward, and just a little sad. Really, an incredible job.

You guys aren’t doing a good job of convincing me not to go see this again.

Also, someone get started on the Frozen Skyrim Mod.

Disney was frozen years ago.

In a related note, Frozen was showing in a theatre in Florida, where they mistakenly ran the red band trailer for the upcoming movie Nymphomaniac before the movie started. Yeah, thats not good.

Saw the matinee this afternoon - 1 pm show full of toddlers and tykes, my 11 year old, and two 14 year olds, and two other families (with my group).

I went in having read no reviews, just, like others, hearing good things, so I was cautiously hopeful.

It was brilliant - every character resonated, and the theater was dead silent at the critical finale scene.

I will repeat a friend’s comment from Facebook - ‘This movie is amazing even with the few times it is terrible’

Why are all Disney movies so pro-white folks? The main characters are always white (except Alladin… oh wait he was white too (more of an Oreo cookie, which is white on the inside).

Except for Pocahontas, Mulan, Lilo and Stitch, the Lion King, and The Princess and the Frog and others I’m sure I’m forgetting.