Disney's / Pixar SOUL

I did not know this was a thing; looks more interesting than Onward (which I do still want to see).

I’m torn about Onward myself. Onward looks like it might be very narrowly focused in terms of audience, but…maybe not.

As for Soul, first trailer so I am sure we will learn a lot more before it comes out.

So are there any boss fights?

This seems strange - Onward in March, Soul in June? Those release dates seem too close to one another…

As rumored earlier, this will directly launch on D+ as well.

Pixar’s “Soul” is skipping theaters and will debut exclusively on Disney Plus in time for Christmas. The animated family film will launch on the streaming service on Dec. 25. In international markets where Disney Plus isn’t available, “Soul” will be released theatrically on an yet-to-be determined date.

“Soul” was initially slated to release in June, but it was later postponed to Nov. 20 amid the pandemic. Variety previously reported that Disney was exploring various release options for “Soul” and was unlikely to move forward with its late November slot. Universal’s decision to push the release of its animated comedy “The Croods: A New Age” forward from Dec. 23 to Nov. 25 — the same week after “Soul” planned to launch — further solidified the possibility that the Pixar film would move.

Just saw an ad for this during the NFL game. It’s so strange that they’re advertising that the movie is coming out on Disney+, but at the end, not announcing a date, just saying “coming soon”.

Same day as Wonder Woman, Christmas. I will probably wind up watching both. Family gathering is tiny this year and not on Christmas.

Probably don’t want people min-maxing their free trial

I watched this tonight. I loved it probably more than I’ve loved any other movie. At least, that’s how it feels right now since I just got done watching it.

This is what I needed in 2020. This is the balm I needed.

Agreed! Excellent engaging and poignant movie that my whole family loved. I’m so glad we watched it tonight.

Also watched this evening. Kids enjoyed it. I felt it was pretty much b-tier Pixar. The afterlife in Coco was far more colorful and interesting. Here it was deliberately bland, geometric, stylized. And… I mean… what was the point of the movie? Life is good? You shouldn’t give up on your dreams? You should give up on your dreams? There’s no purpose in life? It really felt like it wanted to grapple with all these “meaning of life” themes, but in the end didn’t have anything to say about them at all.

I mean, I enjoyed it, it was a fun adventure movie, but I’d put it below Coco or even Onward; but above Inside Out which I despised (and yes I know I’m the only one).

I was surprised to see Trent Reznor in the music credits. Also amusing is the fact that the previous evening, we watched an episode of Travel Man, then an episode of Mandalorian which had the voice of Richard Ayoade, and then tonight he showed up again in Soul! That guy is everywhere! (And apparently my kids sometimes watch Apple and Onion, a real cartoon that actually exists in which Ayoade plays Onoin).

I’ve seen at least one rave review of this. Thinking of picking up a Disney+ just to get the opportunity to catch up on this and other Disney stuff (Mandalorian, Onwards, etc)

I mean if you haven’t watched Mando yet, it is an easy call. Consider this a bonus.

I’ll dwell into spoilers. I went into the movie not knowing much about it, other than it had to do with music.

So when movie started off with that classroom scene, and he had that wonderful piano scene about getting lost in the music, I was already hooked. Then that great session with the jazz quartet at the club. This was going to be a great musical journey!

So yeah, I was pretty shocked when the main character suddenly died. It was kind of serious, but also played for laughs, but I was still kind of reeling from it despite them trying to make light of it. I was already so involved with his music and his life, the death of the main character was not even remotely expected.

But I have to admit the movie slowly brought me back around. It turned out to be the celebration of music and life I was expecting at the start, it just took an unexpected journey to get there.

Dunno, it hit me in the feels because a lot of it is aimed squarely at people old enough to have their best years behind them, and maybe a few decades of grinding it out to realize that you should have been a hippie.

We saw this today. My wife really liked it but I’m more with JoshL (except on Inside Out!) Seemed pretty formulaic and didn’t hit me nearly as much as movies like Coco, Up, etc. It was a good movie but didn’t feel it reached a high Pixar level.

I loved it. Especially the music. Trent Reznor has been one of my very favorite artists for almost as long as I’ve been a fan of music. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all of his soundtrack work but this one really connected with me on another level. I didn’t even realize he was involved with this until the end credits.

Everything about this movie is beautiful.