Distant Worlds 2: this time, your space spreadsheet has a 3D engine!

I am pretty sure i have run it on my w11 system. I will double check this afternoon.

Edit: I should caveat that with it was almost certainly with the mods installed when id did it

I did a fresh install and then installed the mod but no dice. Hopefully it works for you @Fenris99

And now back to our regularly scheduled channel

Never had a problem with my windows 10, but I have no experience with 11 sadly, and will not touch that with an iron poker until it offers something more useful than less compatability.

I would try installing the blackbox mod anyway as it fixes the game a -LOT-

I wonder what the difference is:

I guess I timed it just right to where a ship is blocking the combined arms logo as well.

w11

Differnce is way more tech the combined arms mod, and an ACTUAL working game… yay

Are you launching it from your Steam library?

I think we should mosey over to the StarDrive thread

1.06.02 beta has just dropped on steam with added vulkan and jeez it’s a nice improvement.

i think this might be the last iteration before the new ‘major update’, so if you’re holding off, by all means…

one thought/revelation:

do play with nebulae boundaries on. to not do so, means playing, like me, for some xx hours, without the terrain on and wondering why my colony ship/explorer etc isn’t moving without seeing that it’s run into a ‘cliff’. it also makes strategising more intuitive.

up to you :)

I am still playing my latest game and enjoying it a great deal. Expansion has went very well and now tensions are building with my neighbors. I have a decent handle on my ships and fleets and just trying to push through this next phase of expansion/development before I take to war.

While I have played the original Distant Worlds and all of its expansions going way back, I never really progressed very far and never got to where I really understood the world including the techs and the materials. This is my first play where I am really progressing in my understanding of Distant Worlds and 2 is allowing me to push further than I have before. I am not sure why, but it could be that I just have put enough total time that things are clicking better, or perhaps Distant Worlds 2 has some details with the interface and graphics that keep my attention better. Either way, looking forward to what they come up with in the future as it is likely they will keep building upon it as they have before.

We should also be getting a new development roadmap for the next few months once the current beta is released as a general patch. Really looking forward to the team’s self assessment of where they are and what is prioritized next.

That’s fantastic to hear!

yeah weird glad im not the only one that loved SD1, SD2 was a bit of a letdown. I think ppl who like SD1, might like Imperium Galactica II… I played that alot as well. Its like the Call to Power of sci fi 4x… i also loved CTP 1 and 2.

gonna get those mods for SD1, didint know the game had mods!

also one of the draws for me to SD was the combat… its fun to watch and build ships for it. Its around the same time i was into Gratuitous Space Battles 1, which felt similar.

oh i plan to get DW2 eventually…

Well, SD 1 with mods is a superior game for now. DW 2 got some stuff going for it, but the flaws of DW 1 are still there its a wide game, but skin deep, lots of numbers, but you can’t actually do anything with them.

Big update today. I haven’t played this in months, maybe I’ll pick it up again when I have more time in the winter

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10151&t=387620

There are some promising-sounding improvements in that one, particularly with regard to colonisation and fuelling improvements. My gaming plate is full right now but I’ll come back to DW2 as soon as I can.

WOW!

Has this update fixed the major issues? Is it time to jump in for a fan of the first game?

The game performs very well now - I never had crashing issues, but stuttering and lag were common past the first few hours. Now it’s incredibly smooth.

So, I’m having a good time with it. I’m also reminded of some of the mechanics, balance and UI warts I saw in April. The game is great as is (about where it should have been for 1.0), but I’ll be especially excited when those start to be addressed.

That’s great to hear!

That sounds promising. I’ve had this on my wishlist but the combo of disliking the first Distant Worlds and hearing about the rough state of 1.0 has made me hold off for now. I think this game is going to have one real shot at hooking me and I want to make sure it’s in a decent place when I dive in and try to get into it.

So I figured I’d post three times tonight after a bit of a hiatus. I started a few DW2 games but wow its seemed awkward.

Anyone say now we got us a game? Big patch earlier last week came out.