Distant Worlds 2: this time, your space spreadsheet has a 3D engine!

This is the space game to end all space games… Though I was excited to see Gal Civ 4 in the works…

I fired up a game of Distant Worlds Universe recently just to get used to the game again and get ready for the new release. I always do pretty well until it is time to put together fleets to go take on another person, and I get a little overwhelmed. I probably just need to wait a little longer for tech to build up, but all my fleets seem to not have enough fuel to make the trip to any targets, and I get a little lost on loading up troops to take over planets. I have dabbled in the ship designer before, but really need to commit to learning it one day. I may as well wait for the new release now as I still fight the current UI at times.

I had a great time with it, though, and it was good enough as a refresher until this new one comes out. I am really looking forward to it.

I believe if you have a mining station around a gas giant with the right fuel along the invasion route that your ships can refuel. It’s been a while since I played DWU so that may not be right.

I have a bad habit of making maps that are too big, and by the time things get hot and heavy: I get overloaded (or bored with all the logistics). But I love the game and have sunk many many hours into it.

Release aimed for September or October fyi

(ref at 1:03:10)

Yeah, saw this news on explrominate, I’m very much looking forward to this one. The first had UI that didn’t scale properly and I just could not play it, the rumor is they’ve addressed that with this one.

im-so-excited

And you just can’t hide it?

Thou shalt not hide it!

I’m about to lose control and I think I like it! (Really, I have over 1000 hours in Distant Worlds 1.)

Woo Whee!

I wish I knew how many hours I sunk into the original game, but I played most of my time on the Matrix non-Steam version :-\

This is serious. TY Evil Steve!

Has Brian got the game early? if he does…I will be there!

Thanks for posting! Really looking forward to this one.

Ty Brian. Most desired space game is this. I hope you can keep us updated.

Do you have any clear idea on a release date?

Ah, so they switched engines during development. That explains why it has taken so long.

New Dev Diary: Distant Worlds 2 - Dev Diary #2

New Video on the Mortalens: YouTube

This will be a great game.

Fingers crossed! I know the original DW took a little time to achieve its greatness (via patches and DLC), I’m hoping those lessons will lead to a good DW2 right out of the box.

Sword of the Stars 2 will always make me wonder about the quality of and ‘sophomore success’.