Distant Worlds

I’m not as worried about this. Races were mostly unique due to development modifiers and a specific weapon tech, but played differently mostly due to differing victory conditions.

That should be quite easy to mod IMO - I recall there were mods with dozens of extra races for DWU, and expect the same again.

I believe this is how you do it.

Also,

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Trying sub

Meh sub tag works but it’s the same as small so…

Also if you use preformat markdown you can post HTML

</sub>

cool. Thanks

release date mentioned?

‘Soon’… ;)

Beta signup:

We expect that only a fraction of the folks who sign up will get in. I’m sorry about that, but the interest is high enough that it looks like it will be necessary. We’ll be adding testers in waves, based on our ability to process and handle the feedback.

The sign-up link is below, thank you all for your interest, please only sign-up if you really will be able to help with testing so that we can make sure our slots are used for folks who have time to contribute:

I’M EXCITED!

that is all

Mega FAQ https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4950023

No more orbiting planets. Booo!

Anyone understand how bonus income works? At one point in a game yesterday I think I had a cashflow of -5k, and the bonus income showed 183k and a balance of 0 or close to it. Does the bonus income continually feed into your balance and that is just tracking the annual amount? I definitely didn’t see a huge bump in my balance when the new year hit. I’m not sure what the civvies were doing at the spaceport to generate that kind of spending.

Also, damn pirates. They’re like cockroaches. I didn’t realize they build hidden bases on your colonies, so this one crew spread like a cancer through my systems.

Not sure how you receive the money, but I thought bonus income is mostly from ship sales and trade. For a big surge, probably from a recent research breakthrough that led to all civilian ships paying for an upgrade.

Yeah, it is from things like them building ships and trade. It was just a huge spike all the sudden while still fairly early in the game. I was really hoping that it would show up in the stat coffers. :) It would’ve funded a fleet to kill of the nearby pirates.

It does spike but it will build back up pretty fast.

I still feel like there is information missing. Last night I was continuing the game at at one point my cash flow was maybe -230k, bonus income was about the opposite of that, and my balance quickly climbed up to about 1M.

Everyone seemed to have mutual defense pacts with a host of other nations, so a war that broke out between 2 nations turned into an all out galaxy wide conflict. The galactic news net messages for the war declarations just kept scrolling when it started.

Anyone know if there is a way to order a planet to get rid of a hidden pirate base? I’ve seen advisors recommend it before, but trying to root them out of a planet I took from them. I killed off one group by me, but there is another group that is fairly powerful and they are being quite a nuisance.

For some reason in this game my colonies besides the home world were growing really slow. I noticed I hadn’t researched personnel transit which allows migration, so I don’t know how much impact that was having.

For the hidden pirate base you go to the colony manager screen, select the colony and then look for the facilities tab. Select the base and then click attack. I remember having this same issue when I first started out. Make sure you have enough ground troops to take them out. If the pirates are still building the base one troop should be sufficient.

Lowering tax rates will help colonies grow faster, usually I have tax rate at 0 until I max out, but will raise it if I’m out of cash, and then set it back to 0.

Yeah, I have the tax rates at 0, except for the homeworld which was at like 5 to generate some money. It was growing, but the others were at a snail’s pace which wasnt the case in the game before. I was playing around with turning off automation so could have been that or the fact that no one could migrate because we didnt have the tech :)

I know I played this for a bit way back, and I know I put it aside after a couple dozen hours. But the preview for 2 looked so good I picked it back up the last few days.

My question for enthusiasts is this: How much of it do you automate? What parts?

I ask because I am having a hell of a time with semi-automation. I’m figuring that I want to do things like ship design of the key military ships, and the tech, and the tracking down of the more difficult resources, but I am having trouble not getting bogged down in what is essentially interface details. Having to watch one thing so closely – for example, when that construction ship will finish retrofitting so I can send it to build a mine – that I lose out on research due to the final item in the queue completing without my realizing it. A basic strategy like getting ships close to home a little prior to time to do a major retrofit turns into a logistic nightmare.

I ended up leaving research automated so it will start researching something if nothing is queued up. I’m still able to direct it to research things. I’m trying to figure out a good mix for automation as well.

What speed does everyone like to play at?

I usually automate everything except exploration, colonization and fleet movements, which is about the max my brain can handle. And I only sparingly speed up.

I usually have everything on manual except for design, which I find tedious in nearly every space 4X. I know, that’s blasphemous.

I play at max speed until I have another colony or two, then double speed, and once I know most of the universe and am getting into wars, normal speed.

If it is I’m a fellow blasphemer because I too usually can’t stand ship design.