Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Use more elements than Captain Planet!

No worries, they got 43,000 others to chip in, which is great to see. It may be somewhat surprising given my love for the genre, but I also haven’t played any of those 3 yet, but I think it’s safe to say that neither of us will feel burned by any of them when we finally do.

What have you been playing? If you had to only pick one I’d go with Pillars.

I’m happy they hit Game Master Mode.

Just read through an email from these Larian, mostly about who will be doing the music, but there was also some polling data in there, and one of them showed a poll that was split down the middle between real time and turn based, I got to say, I much prefer it stay turn based like the first one.

I would have mulled it over more in backing it if I knew they were possibly going real time or real time pause, for me this is something fundamental (to me at least) to the game design I very much liked just as it was.

Oh well, guess we’ll see…

Yikes! I just finished the game last week and really enjoyed it. After the fact I was trying to think of why I liked it so much better than Pillars (which I didn’t finish), since I think Pillars had a better system and world/atmosphere. It was the combat, I really enjoyed turn based combat and that many of the fights were difficult, but beatable. It was challenging, fun, and I thought very well done. If they go real time, I don’t think I will bother with it.

I am about to fight the last battle of D:OS and while it may take a little time to get back into the turn based habit it really is a great way to play a game like this. This has me ready to go back into Fallout 1 and 2.

I sure hope it stays turn based.

Likewise. Real time would really kill the co-op play imo. Not to mention the awesome strategy.

huh? I guess thats what you get for kickstarting a game…

Hoping it stays turn-based too which would remain great for co-op.

I thought this was already in development (before the ks, even) . Importante questions like what combat system to use should have been decided a long time ago. In fact their combat got almost universal appraisal.

Well, thats not quite fair, because you’re lumping in people who prefer pausable real time (38%) with actual real time combat (only about 13%).

I’m quite happy to play real time with pause, when its implemented in a way that feels like turn based (Baldurs Gate & Dragon Age Origins), though when the game tries to get more action orientated that approach doesn’t quite gel anymore (eg my impression of Dragon Age 2, though I never did play it).

Didn’t DOS have elements of both? I vaguely recall seeing some timers when I used my abilities outside of combat. If that’s the case then it’s only a matter of balancing the numbers.

Turn-based all the way. I don’t think an even split is enough of a reason to completely change the combat style, either. I also can’t imagine how a real time combat like that would translate well to the consoles?

Isn’t D:OS their greatest success? I think they should try to improve on the turn based formula not change it.

I’m not going for fair here, I’m stating my preference and the main reason I loved the first one, which was brilliantly executed turn based combat.

They’d be dumb to abandon TB after the success of the first one. I know I won’t be on board for the third one if they abandon TB for the second one. I’m still salty that they didn’t get day/night in the second one…

Geez, I sure as hell hope it remains turn based. Chipped money in on the Kickstarter thinking it was going to be another Divinity Original Sin, if they make a major mechanical change like that I’d be kinda pissed.

Yeah, I’ve got the same take on it, I chipped in on this one based on the assumption that something as fundamental to the last one would remain the same, and this is just conjecture on my part they are considering changing this based on the fact their last email contained among other things a poll on turn based vs real time / real time pause, which at least suggests they are considering it I would assume.

Hopefully I’m wrong and this poll was indicative of nothing other than a desire to poll the community.

DOS had some of the greatest realized turn based combat in a modern RPG for me. Would be a damn shame if they reinvented something that worked so well.