Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Use more elements than Captain Planet!

What strikes mas as strange is the Torment angle - didn’t a similar poll become the basis for why that game is now turn-based? Isn’t this a pretty similar audience, in that a large chunk of the poll-takers might be the same people? I guess not, but I would have thought so at least. Strange, like I say.

The crazy combat mechanics in DOS pretty much require turn-based - in real time they would just be a mess (see: Magicka, which granted is a hilarious mess, but not what I want out of Divinity.)

I think it’s safe to say that, if DOS 2 dumps turn based combat, I might not be bothered to play it.

I won’t go that far (I do enjoy me some Pillars of Eternity and Baldur’s Gate) but I’m going to be a lot less interested, especially as a co-op game. But I’m not to worried, honestly, I really doubt they’d make the jump.

While I agree, I doubt they will make the jump, it seems strange that they even raised the question in the first place. It makes me wonder if they might try to make some sort of dual system where people could play the way they prefer. That would be fine if it works, but I am guessing that it would really throw off the balance of one of the systems.

Sir are you trying to tell me that the realtime and turn based combat systems in Might and Magic 6 aren’t completely balanced and in-sync with one another? How dare you!

Yeah who has ever heard of someone taking a well-loved RPG and completely changing things about it the fans love?

Being plain text, I honestly can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not.

To clarify, I’m not saying it’s never happened before, I just don’t believe it’s going to happen here.

I’m being sarcastic, and I have a specific series in mind that had a well-loved and I believe award winning entry to the series that changed almost everything for 2 for reason i still don’t understand.

I Kickstarted both of these games by the way because I have some faith in them, just like you do.

Dragon Age?

Which series was that? I’m curious. ;)

Dragon Age. DA 2 revamped a lot of things, took out the multiple origins, narrowed it down to one city, put in this weird wave after wave combat system. It felt odd at the time because Dragon Age Origins was well-received by the gaming community, and sold well, although some still missed the older style RPGs, and then DA II came out and it felt like someone sat a a table sand said. “Dragon Age is a huge hit, let’s change everything!”.

Looking back, I think someone mentioned they started DA: 2 prior to DA: O’s release or something, so I’m just speaking fromthe perspective of a fan. I have DA: 2 installed… trying to force myself to get through it. I finished DA: O all the way through, started a second run in prep for DA: 2 and stopped after finding out what they did.

I nailed it!

Mostly because it’s the biggest slap in the face I could think of. It still stings.

Yeah, I thought you meant Dragon Age 2, but I don’t feel like it changed everything (though I’ll concede that it had a very different scope in many ways, and way too many flaws of its own). And the way you wrote made me thing the series you referred to was a kickstart project, which meant it couldn’t be Dragon Age, but I must have misread. :)

I don’t know. I’m on my like twentieth trip back to Kirkwall. I can’t even remember which of the quests are part of the main story. The settings all look the same so I remember the layout but supposedly I haven’t been there before. I think there’s a bad guy out there somewhere I should be really mad about but I can’t remember who he or she was. There are other races around but I don’t think I’ve learned much knew about them… yet.

And that’s just the maps and the weak story. Then you have this weird combo where it doesn’t really matter where i put someone because bad guys are going to teleport from wherever and whenever.

In comparison DA: 0, opening tittle song was pretty intriguing, so was the backstory, and the moment of betrayal, just knew I had to go find that person again… damn it. There was drive and none of the various areas felt the same to me. The campground wasn’t the source of annoyance I find traveling to what a half dozen other locations to talk to my companions… god, yeah I know why I haven’t finished 2 yet and DA: I is sitting on my shelf still wrapped.

The point was though just because something is working well doesn’t mean the dev won’t ditch it to try something new or go chase after a group they think is a better crowd.

Divinity could use some work on the dialogue system but I think turned-base and the way skills, spells and the environment works well in that system. If they made it real time I think it would be more like Magicka… a game that welcomes and wants to create chaos which Divinity really doesn’t.

You should play Inquisition. It’s a much better game than 2, and I actually find it more fun than Origins. In any case, it’s certainly worth playing.

As someone who was also very let down with DA2 (I still have yet to get even a quarter into that one, despite multiple attempts) I really enjoyed DA:I and plan to do a second play through some day with all the DLC, so I’ll second this.

It feels wrong to abandon a sequel and jump to the third entry, but you’re saying it’s worth it. I can’t go more than say 3-40 minutes in DA 2 before I find something else more entertaining to do… I can’t even guess how far I am in.

Well, to be honest, I did exactly that. I played DA 2 up to Act 2 or something, then DA:I came out, and I just uninstalled DA 2 and moved on. I don’t regret it a bit.

Is it possible they were trying to test the waters for a game that follows DOS2? As has been pointed out, it seems pretty late for them to be deciding how combat is going to work in DOS2.