Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Use more elements than Captain Planet!

I don’t remember how it came up but in the Kickstarter campaign it was pitched as an RPG with turn-based combat.

It’s basically the first thing mentioned at the top of the Kickstarter page.

Right but the combat system possibly changing was mentioned. The only thing I see from the KS campaign is I voted for the combat system to not change, and that was no. 2 on list of things all votes said not to change… although I think a little tweaking might be nice.

While I think the game would work with Baldurs Gate style combat I don’t really see any reason to change what obviously in D:OS worked very well.

I really think changing the game’s combat to real-time would fuck up the Co-op stuff, too. Which I got the impression was even more of a focus for this new game than it was before (and it was a pretty big deal, before, too). I can’t imagine why they event wanted to poll folks. Maybe to get a sense for what direction to take their next title.

Early Access starts in September 15th.

EDIT: it also has a Steam page now.

Whew, it looks like we can safely assume combat is turn based. Loved the first one, but not sure I want to dive into EA with it.

My only concern is that I hope this game is either more open than the last one. I think Original Sin had the appearance of being open, but there was some very hard gating around the city hub that depended on your character levels. It made wandering around very trial and error if you didn’t pick up on what was going on quickly. I didn’t have an issue with it, but a lot of players got tripped up by this.

I agree, Telefrog. I think that ultimately is what prevented me from being able to get into the game. I need my RPGs to be more open than what D:OS presented me with.

I’ve still got to go back to it. I’m at a bit where I think weapons of a particular type might be necessary, which is exactly the kind of fiddly management I don’t want to do.

I agree it is more on rails than it needed to be, especially on the first map, but it does open up a bit more later in the game. I had lots to do and jumped around a little later in the game. But it’s still hardly what you could call open. I do think it is fun going back to a difficult fight later and kicking ass though, it really gives you that sense of power.

This all comes back to the first game’s opening is pretty bad. Hopefully they learned something and make this game more accessible in the early game.

I mean I loved Original Sin. The gating and quest dump at the hub didn’t bother me because I treated the whole game like a gorgeous puzzle with an RPG-lite wrapper. But when the trailer above says “Forge your own path!” I hope they’re talking about actually opening up the land instead of just referring to your character’s destiny.

Well, whatever. I’m in regardless.

I don’t think there are any fights that require certain weapons, but there are certainly fights where certain elements/resistances make things a lot easier. So probably just as bad, but almost every fight in the game can be overcome with a level or two and pure strength if I recall correctly.

Sorry, I missed this question last year. Mostly because RPGs are big time commitments. So I have to really just clear the table of all other games in a dramatic fashion and dedicate myself for 6 months or more into one. The one exception was Fallout 3 GOTY edition. I happened to lose my job around that time, so instead of properly job hunting, I played the shit out of that game instead for a month, including all the DLC. That was January 2010, where I did nothing else, night and day. After that, the only major RPGs I’ve played have been Skyrim (6 months, not “finished”, but 100+ hours), Mass Effect 3 (3-4 months, finished) and The Witcher 3 (6 months, finished base game and free DLC). So if I do one major RPG every year, I’d be woefully behind on all other genres, so I tend to do a major RPG every 2 years or so. 2015 was Witcher 3, so maybe 2017 will be the next one. I’m actually leaning toward Dragon Age: Inquisition instead of those three listed above, but maybe I should reconsider. It would be cool to play a turn-based RPG again. I really miss those. I never really cared for Real-time combat in RPGs, with the exception of the ones that play like action games like Mass Effect 3 and my brief 20 hours with Fallout 4.

Kickstarter backers should’ve gotten an email for their Steam key today.

Well because I’m so smart I’m still at that point but now have the second one’s alpha downloaded :/

… and it makes a nice impression in the first few minutes. Preset characters are less generic, graphics look a bit richer…

Thanks for the heads up, Telefrog. I probably wouldn’t have noticed for a while. I need to check my email more often…

Well the Lobby seems a little funny, still, but after the characters are in the hot joining works.

This sounds dirty.

Heh. Well not sure what tell you… I was hoping they’d do better with starting the game this time around. It’s still unfortunate. I can’t even see who joins my game. I think I have to start it to lock it down to friends, but they couldn’t join when u did start… They got a game full message.