Divinity: Original Sin 2 - Use more elements than Captain Planet!

@LeeAbe I got about 82 hours into the first one, before suddenly losing interest.

I tried replaying it but the Orcs on the first beach just struck me as tedious in absurdium.

It happens sometimes.

I managed Pillars of Eternity with white march once the whole way through but the first playthrough stopped when I got to Twin Elms.

Managed Tyranny once and probably won’t go back.

EDIT; It has some similarities but the magic/physical armour is different, and now I’m starting to like it.

I managed a combo with my party where everyone hit the enemy who had high physical armour, knocked it down to 0 (but he had an intimidating 80 hp) and my main character turned him into a chicken (lasts one round) but had enough AP (action points) to smack said chicken hard.

I don’t know how things will develop later but right now action points are few and far between, so in most combat rounds I end up doing one attack action and one move.

Fights can be tense. I was set upon by 3 hungry crocodiles, managed to kill them, but they killed my Elf Rogue twice and my Lizard Pyro once.

Luckily I still had enough resurrection scrolls.

I also found gloves in their stomach that let me teleport things.

So far enjoying it, and getting slowly sucked in. Fort Joy seems much more interesting than the home town of the original game.

Plus there appears to be some sort o fighting pit down a hatch somewhere :).

Don’t (or… do?) be like Apostle.

Holy crap. Divinity 2 will now be fully voiced.

Okay, so remember an age ago when we said we couldn’t do voiceovers for Divinity: Original Sin 2? Well, we changed our mind! We changed our mind and we aren’t sorry! Muahaha!

Well.

Sort of.

About halfway through production, we realized just how big this game was getting. We thought there would be no way, either time or budget-wise, to voice it all. So we started small, hoping to improve the soundscape by voicing some one-liners and voice barks. But it just didn’t feel right. We wanted to hear our beloved characters talk. Really talk. So we crunched some numbers, poured some coffee and decided:

Oh heck, why not. Let’s fully voice Divinity: Original Sin 2!

While I like the idea, the next question is, how far will the release date be pushed back? The two games I keep waiting for which should have been out “soon” are this game and Subnautica. Both keep getting pushed back.

Full voicing only works with good writing and direction. Have Larian got those now?

Ohhhhh! So edgy!

“Has anyone seen my pepper?”

It is a vital spice in life.

That’s a damned good trailer.

WOW.

He hopes to address this by wearing somebody else’s face as a sort of moist balaclava.

hAHAHA that’s awesome.

I’ve just completed one playthrough of early access, and I have to say, I’m enjoying it more the 2nd time through. I finished, then restarted immediately.

I think first time players are going to be put off because there’s not very much explanation of how skills synergise. In my first playthrough I just kind of waffled through and managed, but things didn’t really click until level 5 or so, ad I really enjoyed myself after leaving Fort Joy. (not sure it’s much of a spoiler)

Second time through, I know which skills work well together and have a much more focused group. My cleric is half Necromancer (lvl 2) half healer (lvl 2 hydrophist, i.e. water spells), so he can rain blood on everything, causing surfaces to become wet. Then he can suck the blood up and heal himself- or any unit that is standing on blood.

Plus he has a decaying touch skill, which means units healed suffer damage equal to what they would have healed, i.e. reverses healing.

So, bloody surface, decaying touch on enemy, then “heal” the enemy. My main heal spell regenerates something like 20 health per turn for 2 turns, so that’s some 40 odd damage done to enemies.

it’s gory and glorious.

Then there’s my Enchanter-Witch (aerothurge and hydrosophist and summoner - but no skills yet in summoning). She has a lightning bolt spell, and a spells that hastes the entire group.

So, Rain of blood makes surfaces and people wet, then throw in the lightning spell and you have an electric surface, which stuns units on it that have no magical resistance.

Even if they do, it more or less forces them to try and find a way around your bloody lightning pool.

So, the basic strategy is to have half your party focus on physical attacks and the other half on magic attacks.

Physical and magical armour here block physical and magical effects, and absorb the damage.

Therefore, if you find something with 400 hp, 500 physical armour (high numbers for the early levels) but 30 magic defence, then blast them with spells and then stun them. Makes that fight very easy.

With that in mind I am very eager for the full game to come out, as I want to recruit the Dwarf companion you meet on the boat (but who disappears) and play as, or recruit, an Undead.

Do you create just one main character and the rest join you when you find them in the world? Or do you create a party? If you can do both, then I would be concerned about missing out on the character interactions by not using the pre-made characters.

XCOM 2 or DOS2 ??

thats all I want to know…both are tactical combat games…I’m leaning towards DOS2 due to the shear amount of different strategies and lets not forget story…my concern is, is it too linear? I don’t want to be held by the hand, and just go from one combat area to the next…give me a sense of freedom…not sure if this game has it

XCOM2 looks to me to get old fast…then again, I suppose if you play it in short bursts you’ll be fine

I bought Xcom 2 wotc today and will boot it up soon.

D:OS2 doesn’t feel linear to me. There are certain objectives (leave the prison, then the island etc) but the route to getting them done varies.

In my 1st playthrough I massacred lots of magisters before walking out of the fort across a drawbridge.

This time I found a pipeline that goes from underneath into a swamp.

Also, choices have consequences, which vary naturally, and are interesting.

It’s linear in the sense that you will always start on the ship, always end up in the fort and always leave the fort and always leave the island.

But the details vary - enormously, and I’m enjoying it.

Haha, this sounds amazing! I’m so excited for this sequel. I hope it’s a huge hit for Larian. I can’t think of a better public face for a games company than Swen Vincke. He seems like a such a genuine, talented guy.

I wish he could talk to me every morning for 10 minutes to start my day with infectious enthusiasm so it’s impossible to be in a bad mood.

How close is the beta to the final product? IE: the whole game is done, just polish is left? Or your locked to the first act or whatever…

Quoted from the game Steam page:

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The full version will have a full campaign, more maps for the PvP Arena mode, a brand new Game Master Mode, more difficulty modes and generally more content: new origin stories, a new playable Undead race, new skill schools and other new features. The editor we used to make the game will also be released.”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?
“The Early Access version currently contains: Act 1 of the main story campaign with 8-12 hours of gameplay, playable both in single-player and 2-player, 3-player or 4-player co-op; 2 difficulty modes: Classic and Explorer; 4 playable races (one more to come); 4 origin stories (more to be added); 8 skill schools; a new PvP Arena Mode with 6 maps.

Thanks. I guess I wait then… :(