Divinity: Original Sin

Video, with actual gameplay!

And it’s pretty damn awesome. All you turn based naysayers can take a hike.

Swen’s blog about the reveal:
http://www.lar.net/2012/05/29/divinity-–-original-sin-revealed/

I really like the video they have on their site.

The same video now on Youtube, for your convenience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oOQNJ6g8A4

I like the interaction between the skills. Turn ice into water than electrify it for AOE damage? Yes, please!

Wendelius

Definitely looking forward to this one, though I hope that solo play doesn’t suffer due to the coop oriented design. I enjoyed the first 2 installments in the series, each in their own way. Though I probably enjoyed the original DD more. Actually, I never played the D2 expansion because I was a bit tired of the game by the time I got to that point.

I’m a bit surprised at the move to turn-based but I’m happy with that.

dang…I watched the youtube presentation and that was pretty good, but I would only do single player.

Good update preview from RPGWatch on this game: http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=208

This is going to be great, hope they keep up with the humour (and detail levels of text) from the other titles.

They’ve started a Kickstarter to try and raise more money to expand development (add more stuff). I loved Divine Divinity and have been looking forward to this game since it was first announced. From watching the video. I’m assuming that if they don’t meet their Kickstarter goal they’re still on track for release based on current plans, but more stuff is never bad!

Thanks for link – Good to know. That was my second thought actually… “What, they made a game without going on Kickstarter???”…
Might even go for something on that, as this can only be good.

Hopefully they wont use Starforce this time, like they did with the Divine Divinity expansion.

• The name a pet thing seems like a good kickstarter tier to have :)

I really want this game so I’m going to have to pony up for this Kickstarter also.

These Kickstater games are costing me a small fortune these days, I got spoiled with all the big Steam/GOG sales in recent years costing me next to nothing lol, guess it’s time to give back.

I was going to buy it, might as well preorder it now on kickstarter and support them. Pledged.

Thanks for the heads up on the preview and the Kickstarter.

The pledge video shows a lot of game footage and demonstrates the level editor (which you can use to share your own scenarios). The best part is when it shows how the co-op players are interacting, even though they can also act independently (one can be in turn based combat while the other isn’t and is busy elsewhere, for instance).

The highlight of the video for me is about 7 minutes in. The players are engaged in a battle against skellies, a bomber and some big mob. And they use a variety of strategies to counter each mob; talking and working in concert to get the best synergy going between their attacks. The system also seems quite intricate (with rain putting out fires and increasing the range of ice attacks, for instance).

All in all, it looks great. I’m in!

Wendelius

Found out they have a blog: http://www.lar.net/

Was some interesting reads there about Kickstarter and whatnot.

Think I have to pledge for this, luckily the deadline is after my next paycheck. And hopefully I’ll be able to complete Divine Divinity + Divinity 2 before this one is out… Hopefully.

RockPaperShotgun has a hands on preview up: Hands On: Divinity – Original Sin

Rather than providing specific stage directions for every eventuality, Larian tag and code their world and its inhabitants, instructing every element how to react to the players’ presence and actions. That’s why it’s not only possible to ignore the main quest and head into the wilds, it’s also possible to involve NPCs in your own subplots, simply by having the systems that drive them collide and intertwine. The reactions to the situations you concoct may be less perfectly executed than a cutscene containing a motion captured and fully-voiced argument involving Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart, but Robert Zemeckis will be bringing that to the cinema in his take on Don Quixote (Stewart is the windmill). Original Sin isn’t about perfect execution, it’s about a world that reacts, providing all manner of possibilities, from tactical use of artificial behaviour to accidental farce and disaster.

Combat switches the game into a turn-based mode and manages to create complex tactical decisions, bolstered by use of the elements, through both magic and the natural environment. Casting an ice spell near water will freeze the water, changing the terrain and making it more hazardous to traverse. Therefore, a spell which creates a rainstorm may only seem useful for dampening spirits and putting out fires, but can, with a little invention, transform an entire corner of the battlefield into a slippery death trap.

The content that I played was far more than a proof of concept but the nature of the game – a different kind of open world RPG that genuinely did remind me of my favourite Ultima – left me wanting more. I’d only seen a tiny portion the world, only found a couple of item recipes and less than a handful of quests, but I was hoping that the game would be enormous. It’s an RPG built on solid, amusing writing and strong systems, and the more space it contains, the more possibilities there will be to explore, enjoy and break those systems.

The Kickstarter has made it to 121K out of the 400K they are asking for, so it’s on the right track. And I hope they make that money and more. It sounds like an ideal game to add more depth and content to.

Wendelius

Backed it, that video sold me.

The last RPS preview is very promising. Back it up people!

Backed. Looks like it will have a NWN style editor as well. Awesome.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin/posts/439547

I totally backed this. Loved Divine Divinity and what I’ve played of Divinity II (which I should return to, but damn you Skyrim). ;) This looks really awesome.

Now that is cool, the years of game-play I got from NWN 1 fan modules because of their easy to use editor was huge.

Exactly. I really hope the editor is easy to use and reliable – more like NWN1 than NWN2 or DA:0.