Divinity: Original Sin

Yay, finally won! And I only looked up help on a … few occasions.

Great game. Now I can play D:OS 2 with a clear conscience. But I think I’ll take a Divinity break first and play something else like Pathfinder: Kingmaker.

I haven’t checked this thread and got to enjoy your last 40 days all at once. Glad you liked it!

It’s better than Mutant Year Zero where you have to “steer” you characters everywhere like a vehicle. I guess this is acceptable on console. But not on PC, IMO.

#1 annoyance keeping me from playing MYZ past the demo stages.

I backed the kickstarter for this but never installed it. After seeing all the excitement for Baldur’s Gate 3 and this developer, I kept thinking… “I think I own that game”, but I searched on Steam and checked Game Pass it wasn’t there. So I pulled up GoG Galaxy to see if I owned it on a different platform. It turns out, I have it on GoG itself! I remember now! I remember as a Kickstarter reward I had to choose either Steam or GoG, and I chose GoG, and Steam was getting all the latest patches and GoG wasn’t, which is why I didn’t even install it at the time, and I never chose GoG as the reward platform for Kickstarter games again.

But hey, it’s on the definitive edition now, and there’s a sequel out already, so I think I’m safe in downloading it now.

I have some questions!

Hopefully someone played recently enough that you guys can help me out.

So i played through the tutorial area a bit. And when I went into that opening dungeon (optional), there was a chest I couldn’t open because I didn’t have that ability. And I couldn’t talk to a rat because I didn’t have that ability.

Is there a combination of two characters I can pick at the start where I won’t have any such limitations at all? I’ll pretty much have all options on the table at the starting dungeon at least?

Also, is it advantageous for my two characters to disagree with one another so they can get opposite traits? Or will that disagreement cause problems down the road?

I’m not sure if you can immediately start out with the ‘pet pal’ talent that lets you talk to animals. I added it some levels later and had lots of fun animal conversations after that so didn’t really feel like I missed out a lot. You only need to give it to one of your characters, naturally.

Lockpicking is a ‘scoundrel’ ability. You can either put a point in scoundrel after one of your main characters dings, or you can add a scoundrel to your party (Wolgraff was my scoundrel, and I stuck with him throughout the whole game). I don’t know if there’s any way to open that chest without it. Sometimes hunting around will reveal a key. Look inside every barrel and crate, as you never know what you’ll find. I think you can go back to that mini-dungeon later, if you care to.

I wouldn’t worry too much about opening every chest, etc. There will be some stuff you just can’t access until later, or maybe even never, depending on group makeup and how much you care.

The character personality traits (‘materialistic,’ ‘spiritual,’ and all that) will affect certain things in gameplay, like immunity to charm spells or fear or stuff like that. I’m not aware of any gameplay impact beyond that and I certainly don’t think it causes any problem in a story sense if your source hunters don’t get along all the time. You can no doubt min-max those little convos, though I never bothered to.

You can. Or, if you use the XC_Bags mod (highly recommended), I believe it autogrants you Pet Pal from the start because it’s really something everyone should have and it sucks to have to spend a fairly limited resource on it (talents).

I searched for and installed this mod. It didn’t give either of my characters the Pet Pal trait, so I still couldn’t talk to the rats. Maybe after activating the mod I have to start a new game?

Yes, it doesn’t work on existing saves. Also, I think you have to make sure it’s activated each time you launch the game, but maybe that was something specific to multiplayer (I’ve only played the game in coop.)

I started playing this and one thing I wish I knew was…

It’s classless.

The classes are only “premade” character templates with set starting equipment. I really fucking wish I knew this before I started but I’m already beyond restarting so well.

You can specialize IIRC but for the most part you can do anything with any character. In my playthru I gave all my characters the ability to open a fight with an AOE. That made fights a lot easier. :)

Focusing your characters on all magic or all physical damage is the way to go. Splitting your damage is somewhat of a waste. The armor design system was one of the big flaws of the game.

As far as I can tell it isn’t binary at all. There’s non-elemental damage and like 4 elemental damage types that magic uses, including magic imbued weapons: Earth/Poison, Fire, Wind/Lightning, Water/Ice.

I ended up having one party member heavy into archery, another heavy into casting (esp. water magic for healing), a third all tanky-man-at-armsy, and a fourth mostly Scoundrel. With non combat skills allocated somewhat randomly.

Worked well enough to win the game, anyway.

By the time I finished the game my party literally crushed all opposition. I could burn, freeze or electricute anything you faced. Using the elements and having the ability to use combinations was great. Even my tanks could start off a battle with some elemental damage.

It wasn’t that easy for me, so, maybe follow Scuzz’s advice…

Well I am at the end game. I sort of hate the traps/elemental hazards and how ultra lethal they are. I also never used a thief so maybe it is my fault, but 2 Mages, Archer, and Warrior really wreck shop…and the archer is the most deadly by far in the end-game. A point blank arrow spray can kill anything. Bosses, demons, liches…doesn’t even matter. They ded. (because the maximum damage is concentrated at the starting point and gets weaker further out…it’s like a continuous shotgun blast…spray).