DnD online

Anyone else had a go? I have only heard bad things so far from actual players/tester. Though gamespay seems to like it:

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/dungeons-dragons-online/668411p1.html

Sounds a lot like EQ2 with the “you can’t leave this area until level x or quest y has been done”. Not necessarily a bad thing but I always felt EQ2 vs WOW lost the design war. And Eberron always seemed “bleh” to me. It doesn’t seem to have any kind of focus as a campaign setting. Has cool ideas but no true story. It also sounds like they have raped the D&D xp system for some reason. The article doesn’t make it clear but it also sounds like they have ripped the guts out of the magic system and changed it to be your standard MMMO fare - mana.

The way dungeons are executed sounds very cool. My players will tell you that dungeons are death traps so its nice they have tried to emulate this idea. I am curious how the death system works and how leveling up works if anyone knows. Face to face DnD is generally an “Ironman” type game - you die without money or friends you die permanently.

You really ought to try not to use ‘rape’ that way.

As for the rest, I haven’t heard any good either, and frankly the low level limit REALLY bothers me. I don’t care if there are 4 sub-levels, whatever that means. The d20 system just isn’t well suited to a MMORPG, IMO. There isn’t enough room for growth over time.

Then don’t complain if mmorpgs are anything but stupid, recursive treadmills.

That’s what you ask as customers.

The NDA is still in effect for beta testers even though there was an open stress test last week. So even though tons of people have played the game and can talk freely about it, beta testers can’t. Kind of a bummer, really.

I don’t see how the two are related. Why couldn’t you make a treadmill with D20 behind the scenes?

Open stress test last week? Was this the one for Fileplanet subscribers only or was it open to the public at large?

I really, really want this to be good. Everything I read in previews makes it sound so awesome, but then people who have actually play it invariably say it sucks. :(

As best as I can tell, there is no first person view. Since I am not controlling a party, I really can’t play my games in any other way. Hope that gets fixed.

Derek, I’m going to hazard a guess that you don’t play WoW, Everquest, City of Heroes, or any other similar party-based MMORPG. The floating camera view is useful precisely because you DONT control the actions of the other party members. You don’t know what they’re going to do, so you have to see them at all times.

Playing a MMORPG in 1st person view is akin to putting blinders on a horse. It kills your situational awareness.

I’m not sure how I feel about this. It sounds interesting but a level cap of 10? I’m hardly the kind of guy that speeds to the level cap. I was actually being gently mocked last night by my guildmates last night in WoW because of the fact that I’ve played 8.5 [EDIT: days, not hours] of playtime and I’m only at level 36.

But 10? One of the things that makes MMORPGs fun is the ability to level up, feel like you’ve accomplished something, get some new or improved abilities and gain some stats. If you honestly only do this ten times in the game then that’s not going to be often enough to keep me interested. Of course, maybe I’m misunderestimating the game or something, but I don’t really get the feeling that this has any chance of being more than a small success.

The DnD brand name has long since lost its lustre in my opinion…it certainly can’t save an oddball design from flopping in the post WoW era.

There was an article somewhere somehow that explained that the 10 levels are really more like 40. You get a certain amount of milestones within each level, at each of which you gain abilities, distribute points, etc.

It may be 10 levels, but it’s a BIG 10 levels.

Well gee, with all that out in the open, I thought even saying anything was against the NDA, but apparently not.

Ill not go into details but Ill say this first:

In general the D20 system can work for an MMOG. There is no reason it can not. Kotor and Kotor II used the D20 system and they were real time, and it would be a small step to move it from a real-time single player game to real-time MMOG.

However…

DDO is a vapid pit of suck. It is totally not fun, not even a little bit. The problem is, I do not know why. I can not say, fix this or that and it will rock. Sure there are annoying things, and yes there are bugs, but even if said things were fixed, the game would still suck in a very big way.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some really cool things about DDO, it does have its good points and I would really like to see a D&D online game. But again, the sum total is “total suckage”. It has no soul and it is no fun.

Some people gripe about only 10 levels. I am fine with that. The resting thing for spell points, I do not like it, but its hardly a deal breaker.

My only conclusion is that Turbine is cursed. AC2, from the surface seemed like it could be good. A big expanive world, really pretty graphics, you could craft everything, etc… yet it sucked hard. If you were to look at DDO on paper, you would think it would make an awsome game. Yet in reality, when you play it, you need to make yourself play it, at least I do. I log in and say, I am going to play it for 2 hours tonight. However after 15 minutes I am looking at my watch, and within another 30 minutes I am loading up WoW, and I am seriously board of WoW.

Did Turbine have any turnover from the AC2 fiasco? Or did they simply stick with the same team… that would explain a lot… I too, have heard many negative things about DDO. bummer… because like everyone else I wanted it to be great.

I guess I’m pretty sure how I feel now!

:lol:

I have been playing EQ for 6 years in first person view. Played WoW for a month in first person view. Just tried out the new Galaxies in first person view.

That is simply the way I play my game. Its my personal preference. I am just glad that EQ, WoW, and Galaxies give me that option.

I have been playing EQ for 6 years in first person view. Played WoW for a month in first person view. Just tried out the new Galaxies in first person view.

That is simply the way I play my game. Its my personal preference. I am just glad that EQ, WoW, and Galaxies give me that option.[/quote]

So you’re the guy who keeps getting me killed.

I didn’t even make 2nd level in the stress test, so don’t take my word as law, but the game felt VERY much like Guild Wars. A somewhat nicely put together game, but with no soul. A treadmill with no pretending it’s not. I couldn’t tell you the story of the game, anything about the NPCs I talked to or anything along those lines because it was all very bland. You run from spot to spot, completing quests similar to WoW, but with nothing interesting to look at, no cool monsters, no moments of um, er, “wow”. Maybe it gets better later on…

Overall, you can do things in combat, you swing your weapon with a mouseclick, you cast spells at your will with skill points, you go for the next pellet over there… shrugs. It doesn’t feel very D&D other than that you can play the D&D classes. Or some form of them since leveling up is different.

That is simply the way I play my game. Its my personal preference. I am just glad that EQ, WoW, and Galaxies give me that option.[/quote]

So you’re the guy who keeps getting me killed.[/quote]
:lol: Nope, if you are dead, then I died first from healing aggro. My personal view preference is not a detriment to how I play the game.

Yeah, I always appreciated WoW’s wow factor. Its just a treat to look at everything in there.

I don’t play in FP view, but I see Derek’s point. Frankly, I don’t look at the other characters to see what they are doing. I use the team features to see who needs healing and when. I don’t have time to check everyone’s HPs in third person by actually looking at them. If Derek wants to play that way, let him.

And DeepT, I am not in the beta, so I am not breaking the NDA. You, my friend, are, so be careful. I don’t want to see you get into trouble.