DNF makes the Wired vaporware list again

This from a long-time “duper.”

Or are you reformed as part of your post-9/11 “games don’t matter” epiphany?

While we’re busy coming up with random games that feature freezing and smashing enemies…Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance!!! Take that, MP! :D

and a public that allows itself to be duped into thinking it all matters.

??? Of course games matter, if you are the sort of person who is willing to fork over hard-earned dosh to play them. Which, on this message board, we all presumably are.

Gordon,

To the extent that they bring people pleasure, or become an unhappy waste of money, games matter. But my point was just about vaporware–not games in general.

Peter

This was a while back, but who was the Duke Nukem Forever developer who, almost two years ago, said he wouldn’t post on any internet message board until the game was done?

Chances are he didn’t think it would take this long.

To the extent that they bring people pleasure, or become an unhappy waste of money, games matter. But my point was just about vaporware–not games in general.

Well, if you’re going to have a game industry, you’re gonna have a game industry press, and if you’re gonna have a game industry press, it’s gonna cover things like vaporware. Sure it’s trivial, but it’s to be expected.

Charlie “forever silent” Wiederhold.

I’m more surprised to find out that there are people who still read Wired Magazine!

Charlie “forever silent” Wiederhold.[/quote]
I must have missed that. Poor Charlie :(
Which makes me think… The map makers at 3DR must have the largest archive of maps like ever…

[quote=“voltaic”]

I’m more surprised to find out that there are people who still read Wired Magazine![/quote]

I used to have subscription to the print mag, but stopped soon after Conde Nast took over and turned it into a trendy IPO luvin’, CEO smoochin’ tech money mag instead of the mag I loved when Louis Rossetto ran it.

The web site is a little more relevant, but even then half the time it’s a Macintosh lovefest.