Do speakers all have the same type of wire connector?

i am thinking of replacing my pc speakers, i think the left one is shot. i saw a deal for speakers for ~5.00 on newegg, but i was wondering if i can just plug them into my 5 yr-old subwoofer without any trouble?

No, unfortunately not. They vary all over the place. Some have RCA connectors, some mini-jack, some mini-DIN, some loose wires.

No, unfortunately not. They vary all over the place. Some have RCA connectors, some mini-jack, some mini-DIN, some loose wires.[/quote]

dang. how can i tell what i got now, and what the ones i look at got?

example: can’t tell what wire they need

I looked at the speakers you were thinking about - they are probably connected to the PC through a 1/8" minijack to the sound card / motherboard.

while you can probably just cut the minijack and connect the loose wires to a subwoofer, you then have a problem on how to get the signal to the subwoofer in the first place!

Normal:

PC —1/8"—> Speakers

You want:

PC —1/8"----> Subwoofer --(through loose leads)—> Wire

Edit:

An alternative could be this. Most motherboard / sound cards have separate jacks for surround sound. One goes center/subwoofer, one goes to front speakers. So you could get the inexpensive speakers, plug em in for left and right. Then you just worry about getting sound to teh woofer from the speakers.

dang i understood the individual words, but together…

i had been having problems with the left speaker.

on another forum, they told me to put in headphones and see if the left problem was still there. if it was, they said it was the sound card most of the time. i tried it and the left had no sound. so i might have to do more testing…

If the same channel is out when you use headphones, the problem isn’t the speaker. How old is the soundcard? Just to make sure, did you plug in your headphones directly to the soundcard or does your computer speaker setup have a headphone jack?

fixed!

did some more futzing and by moving some wires around sound started coming out of the left speaker, clearer than before even.