Do we have any home theater experts here?

Like I said, I have a weird situation. There’s a window directly across from our bed. I want a screen that fits inside the window frame and a VERY short throw projector.

Been awhile since I measured, but that might be too big. That’s just under 70” wide. I’ll have to check. Also need to check to see how the dimensions of the unit and minimum throw have changed.

Finding a screen has also been a problem. Ideally, it would be a motorized, rising screen, but I haven’t found one small enough.

I’ve also spent a lot of money on other things recently, so not a high priority, but always looking for things that will work.

Have you looked at getting a motorized lift for a regular TV?

Already have one. There’s a custom built-in cabinet that sits in front of that window. The tv comes up out of the cabinet. But without replacing the entire thing, the size is fixed and on the smallish side for the distance (~40). And if we did replace it to put in a larger tv, we’d be giving up storage space, which is at a premium.

Wouldn’t the simplest solution be some white blackout blinds?

For a projection screen? Don’t think that will work well for an UST projector, will it? I’ll probably cross that bridge when I find the right projector. I’ve looked at vividstorm, etc.

So here’s an update - the theater is pretty much done.

I went with a 7.2.4 setup, driven by the Epson LS800 ultra-short-throw projector onto a 123" ambient light rejecting screen. Speakers are mostly Klipsch except for one of the subs and the surround and mid-heights, which are SVS.

I’m really happy with how it looks and sounds, but eventually I’ll pay someone to come and route the cables through the walls. And when I get ready for a big upgrade I’ll paint the walls and ceiling black.

I’ve also got a sleeper sofa coming that I’ll put in the back when I have overflow guests, that I may end up putting on a riser and using as a second row of seats.

I dig the little bar table setup in the back, great for game watching!

Looks great!

Nice? What black material is on the wall behind the screen? Looks like a nice way to frame the view. How far off the wall does the projector sit; I assume you have it set up for max recommended screen size. How do you like the contrast? Post a dark room photo of a show for fun.

The black material is standard egg carton foam panels. It’s really just to frame the screen and black out the wall, though. I was getting a little bit of a halo from the projector outside the screen and this solves the problem without me having to take the screen down and paint.

Projector is maybe 8 or 9 inches from the wall. The Epson is an ultra short throw projector, but it could go up to 150” if I had wall space for it.

I’ll take a dark room photo later today!

Looks great. Sorry I missed your inquiry. I usually stick to the games forum. At risk of tooting my own horn I’d like to recommend three sites:

HomeTheaterForum.com friendly relaxed home media discussion. I’m a moderator and reviewer there.

AVSforum.com the deepest technical discussion of home theater issues. I post there regularly.

Hometheaterunited.com my podcast on home theater.

Here ya go.

Very nice!