Do you believe?

Take these question in whatever interpretations you wish.

Do you believe? In what? How do you feel about your beliefs/lack thereof?

I’ve been asking my RL friends about this, and am curious as to the answers I’ll get here.

Oh, and try to keep the flames down. :)

No, I don’t believe dinosaurs were a prank, but to sum up the totality of my philosophical thought: there is no spoon?

Interesting forum choice.

I don’t have faith in faith
I don’t believe in belief
You can call me faithless

Belief transcends Games, amazing though it seems.

I don’t think I believe in much of anything, but I wish I did; faith seems to be a comforting concept which is simply alien to me.

Well, I believe the world around me exists and I exist, which is to say I am not a solipsist. Or at least I come so close to believing it as makes no difference. I can claim 100% certainty about nothing, though, I’m afraid. Except perhaps the uncertainty itself. (Ooh paradox!)

I believe that threads like this should be in Politics and Religion, regardless of how awful you think that forum is.

I’m a Unitarian Universalist, which kinda makes me a devout agnostic.

I believe that’s one way of looking at it. But this is a pretty broad question. He didn’t ask if you believe in God but what (or who) you believe in. It’s almost like asking what’s your personal motto in life.

Personally, I believe nothing is written. There are those who believe somethings were just meant to be, that fate guides our lives. I’ve never understood that.

I have no problem with P&R necessarily, but this is not about P or R. It is philosophy, something related to religion but with less practical purpose.

Actually, I asked -if- you believe, and if so, what. This leaves it open for people like me, who don’t believe in anything! True philosophical agnostics.

I think that, logically, what someone will do in any given situation is … what they will do in that situation. Given all the factors, there is only one option; choice is what you choose given who you -are-.

So to me, I think, some things are predetermined by the nature of the people involved. Not by God, or by the Fates, but by the very people making the choices.

I used to think that everything was that way, but I was told by someone studying Quantum Physics that some things really do have a random occurence, and that in the aggregate, those could affect the universe. Or something. I really didn’t understand what he was saying!

“To you I’m an atheist; to God, I’m the Loyal Opposition.”

• Woody Allen

I believe in something.

I’m not sure what exactly, though a large part of it comes from the Christian faith.

But I do believe in something.

I believe there’s life after death, because whenever I consider the possibility that there isn’t life after death, I feel horribly depressed.

I believe I’ll have another pint.

“The search for the Cup of Christ is the search for the divine in all of us. But if you want facts, Indy, I have none to give you.”

Does belief actually work that way? If someone offered you $20 million to truly believe that the Earth is flat, could you do it? I mean, you could tell yourself that the Earth is flat, but that’s not the same thing as believing.

I don’t believe in fairy tales.

Athiest. We’re cosmic space dust.

Odds of advanced, intelligent life forming? EXCEEDINGLY rare.

But it’s a BIG universe.

Bah! Beat me to it! ;-)

…in a thing called love.

But seriously, my belief system isn’t static enough to classify. The only thing I am certain of is that most people are idiots. That and that “God” is(are) the physical rules that govern the universe.