Do you believe?

I gotta believe!

I believe I saw a flying object, which I was unable to identify.

But other than that, I make no claims that is was secret goverment military plane, little green men, brain damage or LSD in the municipal water supply. Those are only guesses and not actual beliefs.

Who else thought this was a Jake Plane thread?

Also, I need you to believe in something. Namely, that car-manufacturing robots will get you, no matter where you run.

Secular humanist.

In myself, yes.

I believe in science. I feel good about that believe.

I believe in the essential goodness of humanity. And I feel like a fucking retard for doing so.

I try not to believe. When you see al the shit in the world. WHen family members go through shit and attempt suicide. When parents neglect their kids even when they themselves are preachers. When churches and their leaders continue hypocritical practices. When your wife gets diagnosed with cancer. When a friend has 2 children born with Cystic FIbrosis.

However, I still have some faith. I still feel there is something out there that is compelling me to be a decent person. Maybe it is just my conscience or soul or one of those mysterious chunks of my brain scientists still are unsure about. Maybe it is all too ingrained in me, that belief.

Dunno.

Not me. It wasn’t made into a poll.

The Jake Plane version would have been:

In what do you believe?

1. A higher power
  2. Life after death
  3. The inherent goodness of man
  4. UFOs / Aliens visiting Earth
  5. Sony’s certain doom at the hands of the PS3 fiasco
  6. All of the above
  7. None of the above
  8. Some of the above

Plus it would have been posted in the correct forum. Jake’s good that way.

QFMFT.

Belief will be irrelevant when the Old Ones come home to roost.

That pretty much sums it up.

No because the Earth is demonstrably round. Conveniently for me, I am not aware of a way to prove or disprove life after death in some other realm of existence.

Kareem, you can die and have a look around. It’s just a bitch trying to let anyone living know, but YOU’D know. And if there is life after death, no harm, eh?

I suppose that’s fair. Still, in the absence of direct evidence, I think I choose what seems the most likely, not what seems the most reassuring. If I see no reason to think one is more likely than the other, then I just don’t know.

Can you really believe something simply because you want to believe it?

Hey I didn’t say it was overly logical, I just find it personally comforting to believe that after dying, I won’t simply be decaying worm food.

Sure, and I often do that myself. But this is death. There is simply no way to know for sure what comes after it. It’s not a situation where evidence is pending and empirical analysis counts for something. It’s a comforting belief for me and whether I believe there is life beyond the first one does not harm anyone else nor does it significantly impact my actions in life. It may do that for others, but it doesn’t really affect what I do every day.

Can you really believe something simply because you want to believe it?

Not when it flies in the face of direct evidence. For instance I “believe” in evolution.

I believe it’s time for lunch.

Uh yeah, it’s pretty much a lot about R. Maybe not to you, but I really don’t see how it could be considered anything else. I think…no wait, hahahaha, I believe you put it here hoping to avoid the usual P&R fallout. I can dig that, but let’s be honest about it.

Also, I believe this thread will hold an even keel until DeepT and shift6 post in it. Then, you may as well box the thread up and slap an overnight FedEx delivery tag on it, shipping address Politics and Religion, qt3.com.

Someone is worse then Hitler, and someone group is a bunch of Nazis.