Do you bicycle? A cycling thread I guess

As a roadie I’m always on the lookout for my next frivolous purchase. I like my helmet, a Bell Slant, but it’s going on 6 or 7 years now and the padding on the forehead is completely worn thin. Can’t find replacement mesh, tried a headband and didn’t like it. Thing I love about this helmet is its snug fit, it seems like almost every other brand is like a salad bowl on my head; I guess my head is more oval and most bike helmets are round?

The latest trends in road cycling fash are more rounded aero-style helmets (though not quite full aero which become too hot in the sun).

So the Met Rivale at $160 seems like the best option… just need to find one and try on.

Giro helmets seem to fit a bit too round on my head.
Also like the look of the Giant Rivet.

Summer update - how’s everyone’s cycling going? I’m having a good year, not that many rides due to kids and life, but some really nice day trips here in Ontario Canada. Tell me about a ride you liked.

I’ve been biking a lot, actually. My son is 2 1/2, and now can sit and enjoy longer rides. I’ve taken him on rides up to 30 miles. So far I’m probably 2-300 miles this year, with averaging about 25-30 a week. Not what it was when I biked to work (I’d get 28 a day), but good still.

What’s great is my son loves going. He requests going on a bike ride all the time (that or a run). Almost every Saturday or Sunday I take him for an hour or more. Take a ride to the library, then go for a 20 mile round trip to a place called Lake Katherine which has a beautiful nature trail with waterfalls and ponds. Take a walk to see the duckies, then head home. Perfect day.

Done it each of the last 3 weekends :)

What set up are you using for this? A seat, or trailer?

I use this. Easy to set up, can fit two kids. With several nephews already, and another kid of our own on the way, that was important.

I have a trailer too, a single seater but it’s good for my 2.5 year old as well. She gets a little antsy after sitting in there for 20 minutes or so, but that’s enough to do a 15 mile ride - 8 out to a park or destination, and 8 back. Can be great fun.

I also bought her a balance bike and she’s doing a sort of sit-shuffle, not enough to go any distance but I bet by next year it will get her to some nearby destinations.

I’ve been really enjoying the Faraday I bought last year. For those who don’t know, it’s an e-bike, with a pedal assist system. So, basically, you have to pedal, but if you turn the assist on then you get some extra oomph from the 200w motor.

I think that the great thing about it is that it got me riding again, after not riding for years, just because it made certain things more practical. You can ride it between 20-25 miles with the assist on “high”, which makes it quite easy to go around 15-20 mph. Or you can ride it like a normal bike.

At this stage, I end up riding it with the assist off most of the time, and have been averaging between 50 and 100 miles a week. I think that’s the beauty of the e-bike… It’s gotten me into biking, and makes it extremely practical to use as a primary mode of transportation. Any reduction in exercise from the potential to use the assist feature is dramatically outweighed by the fact that I ride it far far more than I’d ride a normal bike. Especially with the weather recently where it’s in the freaking high 90’s every day.

On Saturday I went out. 94 with humidity above 75%. By the time I got to the library, a short 6 minute ride, I was sweating. I churned through my entire 3 liter camelback over the course of the 20 miles I did.

Yuck, yuck, yuck.

But, while I’d never use one myself, I greatly approve of e-bikes. As you say, it gets people out biking who might not have otherwise. Love hearing that!

I’ve been doing my commute two or three days a week with the occasional bout of every-weekday-but-Monday (I have to drive on Mondays, sadly). That generally means a good 60 to 90 miles a week.

This past few days I’ve actually punted for health reasons. The 100-degree heat is nasty, but I don’t mind cycling in the heat… it’s the air quality index and the fact that I’m cycling in traffic. I end up getting to work nauseated from the fumes as well as being dehydrated.

Today it is in the upper 90s, but the humidity isn’t as bad and the air quality index is fairly low, so I rode in. Can’t say I’m looking too forward to pedaling back in the heat, but that’s the way it’s gonna be.

I went into April with the plan of biking three days a week through October, and I made good progress up through the middle of June but have fallen off a bit. The combination of an increase in my workload (I took on a new position but haven’t finished handing off my old work yet) and having a 40mi round-trip commute has made that difficult to stick with. I enjoy my rides, but spending 3.5 hours on that each day can be rough. Hopefully the work stuff will be settled soon, but I don’t think there’s any way I’ll meet my original goal of 4,000 commuting miles for the year.

I am thinking of buying this pedal-assist bike for $2700 after taxes. This thread is helping me say yes. I have a 14 mile commute on fairly hilly terrain. It’s too tough for me to bike both ways, but with pedal assist, I feel like I could manage a 100 mile commute both ways. Wow!

For that price, you could get a Porteur S from faraday, which is their more affordable model, which looks like it’s similarly equipped to the trek in that picture. Main differences from my Porteur is the chain drive vs a belt drive, metal vs bamboo fenders, etc. Looks like the Trek has a rear wheel drive vs the Faraday’s front wheel drive, which has both advantages and disadvantages. On the upside, the rear wheel drive can potentially benefit from the gearing, but on the downside the drive can interfere with the normal bike powertrain while the frontwheel drive, when off, basically rides exactly as a normal bike.

I can’t speak for the S, but the Porteur has been an awesome bike, once I got past some of the production issues at first (The first one I got was like the 200th off the line or something, and had some kinks which have since been worked out).

Pedal assist is awesome for what you’re talking about. A 14 mile ride ends up being about as easy as you want it to be.

Have you tried riding it yet? If you ride it, you will likely buy it, because having a bike that just multiplies your power is one of the coolest things I’ve ever ridden.

This is true. I test rode my Trek pedal assist and was sold. I don’t like the hills. The flat stuff I don’t mind pedaling, but going uphill is just a drag at my age. The pedal assist really does flatten the hills, and I still pedal so I still am getting some exercise in.

I did try riding it, and I had a big goofy grin on my face, especially when I went up a hill on the highest gear from a dead stop with barely any effort.

Parts of your bike are bamboo, @Timex?

The fenders are bamboo. You can see it on the faraday site I linked.

Getting a big grin is the almost universal reaction I have seen with ebikes.

The Faraday is especially cool in this regard, since the fact that it has a belt drive means that its normal drivetrain is essentially silent anyway. There’s no rattle of the chain or clicking of the flywheel. But you’ve got a 250w motor that kicks in and pulls you forward, just making you feel like you’re way stronger than you are.

I tried it for a week and just couldn’t bear turning up to work all sweaty. Sadly the bike hasn’t left the shed for about six months now : /

Well the weather was absolutely gorgeous yesterday. Upper 60’s, sunny, a stiff breeze, but you can’t have everything.

So, figuring this may be one of my last chances, I took my son out for a nice long ride. Actually wound up taking two, as my in laws are watching my nephews, so my father in law went with, and I took my son and 4 year old nephew in the trailer. We went for a long ride through the forest preserve to a nature center that my son loves. Waterfalls, ducks, fish, a mile loop trail, flower gardens, one of our favorite places to go. It was about an hour each way.

Couldn’t have asked for a better day for it. I’m going to try and sneak in another few rides if I can, but if not ending the season on a high note.

I’m one of the few people that seems to actually enjoy riding in colder weather. I sort of get a kick out of putting on all the arctic gear (lobster gloves, footie covers, balaclava, etc), setting out shivering and then - after a mile or three of pedaling - reaching that wonderful point where you’re warm and comfortable from your exertions.

I mean, I love riding in the heat too, but there’s something really rewarding from going from uncomfortable to comfortable instead of the opposite.

It’s not the cold, I run all through the winter outside, it’s the rain and snow. Now, on the cusp of November, we are going to have a lot of dreary overcast days of rain, freezing rain, sleet, and such. With daylight ending before I get home, biking is now weekends only. But when it’s 40 and drizzling? I stay in. And with my skinny road tires, once we get sleet or ice at all, I have to be done.

Chicago in November and December is a bit of a mess. Until we get snow that sticks, outside activities are on an ‘as possible’ basis.

But one of my absolute favorite things ever is going for a run in a snow storm.

Yeah, snow and ice on the ground are no-go for me as well. Luckily, we don’t usually get that much snow here near DC. Last year being (probably) an exception of course.