Do you like Shooters?

No… not the first-person kind. REAL shooters!

If you do, and you own an Xbox 360… then you need to pull out $20 plus tax right now and slap it down because one of the best of all time is now out for the system.

Raiden Fighters Aces

Includes Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2 and the mother of them all Raiden Fighters Jet.

As far as I’m concerned, Jet is one of the most replayable shooters ever made. Number one, I can’t believe they brought this to the US. Number two, I can’t believe it just appears one day out of the blue (the release date was supposed to be later… actually this one I believe), and number three… TWENTY DOLLARS.

I still play Jet in the arcade near me. It’s a brilliant piece of work. I ordered from EB so when it arrives, I’ll post impressions. If it arrives… I won’t believe this exists until I have it in my hands.

Yes. I agree Dave Long, and there are not many times I can say that. But I <3 top down shooters like that, or Shmups or whatever.

Now, throw down some Raptor, and I’d be truly happy. When does it release/ is it released?

DO WANT

Is one of these Raiden 4?

No, I’m pretty sure 4 was its own standalone 360 release.

No, the raiden fighters series is separate from the ‘normal’ raiden series. Raiden 3 and 4 are pretty meh anyhow, the fighters games are infinitely better.

Okay, good to know. I’ll keep an eye out for this. Sadly, I haven’t even bought Ikaruga on XBLA. Is that currently the best shooter no XBLA?

I’m not seeing how a love of Raiden is reconcilable with “Every game should be easy enough that everyone who plays it should be able to beat it without ever failing.”

Ikaruga has a crazy hard learning curve. It’s good if you can master it, but it’ll make you grind your teeth a lot. I own the GameCube home version.

Any idea if this Xbox 360 release lets you play it sideways like Ikaruga?

So apparantly Dave thinks it’s ok to love brown and grey shooters as long as they are Japanese.

I used to like top down shooters many moons ago, with the likes of 1942 and Gyruss… I think as the years have passed though, and my reflexes have waned considerably, I’m just too out of the loop. I’ve tried my best to like Geometry Wars, thinking that this was the new “shooter”, but again, my lack of a reactive skills seems to let me down, plus all those flashing lights confuse me :)

EB Games claims to have this in stock, so essentially the game is out now. Amazon says next week. I already ordered and received confirmation on shipping this morning.

It does not contain Raiden 4, which is also not made by Seibu Kaihatsu, the creators of the Raiden games and makers of Raiden Fighters and its sequels available in this box. Raiden III and IV were licensed to another company.

RE:Ikaruga - It’s excellent, and well worth the coin, but be prepared to learn and understand it and not just hold down the fire button expecting to walk through the game. The XBLA port is easily on par with the Dreamcast/Arcade original. Very well done.

RE: Any idea if this Xbox 360 release lets you play it sideways like Ikaruga? YES! You can flip your TV on its side and play it in the proper vertical mode. This is commonly referred to as TATE mode.

Hopefully we’re getting the 1.1 version of the game (I don’t see why we wouldn’t…). It has some minor fixes to it and people who aren’t very good at shooters will like this…

[ul]
[li]Added credit setting. The feature of increasing credits based on play time is removed.
[/li][/ul]

Cool features ripped from the wiki…
[ul]
[li]Full support for vertical monitors
[/li][li]Online high-score rankings
[/li][li]Upload and download game replay data
[/li][li]Strategy guide directly on the game DVD
[/li][li]Gameplay videos of Japan’s best players on all three games
[/li][/ul]

RE: I’m not seeing how a love of Raiden is reconcilable with “Every game should be easy enough that everyone who plays it should be able to beat it without ever failing.”

Who was that directed at?

RE: So apparantly Dave thinks it’s ok to love brown and grey shooters as long as they are Japanese.
There’s nothing brown or grey about this game. They make videogames in color in Japan.

There’s nothing brown or grey about this game. They make videogames in color in Japan.

And apparantly those colours are brown and grey

It’s apparent to me that you’ve come to this thread just to be a moron. Thanks for that!

you are a fucking idiot.

And you’re very angry, grrr!!

But look at that shot. It’s primarily brown, grey and blue. Kind of hard to argue.

Yes, because the entire game exists in that one screenshot.

Dave:

I like shooters but have not played any of the Raiden Fighters series. Are you able to articulate what it is that you like so much about Jet, or is it one of those visceral, elemental things that defies explanation? Additionally, how does this compare to Shikigami no Shiro 2*, if you’ve played that?

*also thanks for accidentally making me find out that Shikigami no Shiro 3 exists for the 360, but in Japan only. That blows. :(

Yes, because the entire game exists in that one screenshot.

Grrr!!

Valcon has confirmed that it is the 1.1 version of the game. The only thing that isn’t 100% clear is if it will include the scanline display options included in the later patch. I would assume it does based on the “Visual filters” bullet point listed on the website, but its not confirmed.