Do you repair your Macbook Pro when it fails

Surfaces are on par, in price and quality. But get the Complete warranty, cause you aren’t repairing one.

I always get AppleCare on my laptops, never needed it though. Always figured it was worth it for laptops no matter who the manufacturer. My nephew bought a MacBook Pro last year without it. I tried to talk him out of an Apple completely but he wouldn’t listen. Just waiting for the thing to break at this point.

This week’s ATP (Apple focused tech podcast) spent a good 10 minutes talking about horrible the current Apple laptops are. One thing that made me think of this thread was they mentioned a problem in passing about thermal issues and hinges breaking? So maybe @Scotch_Lufkin’s problem is a common one? Not that it matters if Apple ever admits it, it will be years down the line.

God damn, you really are their favorite consumer ;)

The new Surface Book 2 is the closest I’ve seen in a laptop that could replace my MacBook and the iPad Pro. If the drawing apps I used (Procreate) on the iPad were there, I would think about switching. I got my MacBook last year, so I am a long way from needing a new one.

You say that, but I have bought MS and Dell warranties on laptops in the past as well. I tend to buy expensive laptops and think its worth it I ever do drop one or it breaks.

I defend Apple a lot here, but I waste a ton of money on other tech companies as well. :-) I do really, really like Apple stuff, but I use stuff from the competitors as well. It has been about 6 years since my last Android tablet, and 9 since my last phone though.

I’d say Apple still hasn’t fixed the problem (devastating column making the tech rounds today)

Even ignoring the fact that it breaks with a single atom of dust, I also find it really unpleasant to use. If I didn’t use an external keyboard all the time, I would not be on a macbook pro right now.

I don’t mind my 2016 Pro Keyboard but I don’t love it either.

I do tend to coddle it more than I would like.

For a company that is so renowned for and prideful of its hardware design chops, they are really, really bad at making keyboards and mice.

Apple mice are literally the devil.

I’m indifferent to the goofy modern MBP keyboard. It’s fine. Haven’t had any quality issues with it, but it’s also a work machine so whatevs.

The touchbar remains dumb as hell. Good grief.

It’s not just the Macbook ones though. The iMac keyboards are horrendous.

They still make those?

I snark, but I honestly didn’t realize iMacs were still a thing.

Really? I think they are fine. Nothing amazing, but perfectly acceptable. Never heard anyone complain about them until now.

The iMac is quite popular among Mac users @inactive_user. It’s easily the best (non-gaming) computer I have used in 35 years of computing.

They’re like Apple looked at laptop keyboards and decided that’s what people wanted, rather than what they put up with for the form factor.

I disagree. They’re chicklet keyboards, sure, but within that class (chicklet) they are among the best available. As a general keyboard I think they’re fine — compact, well-made, extremely durable, and reliable. Basically everything the MacBook Pro keyboard isn’t (except for compact).

Sure, it’s a half-decent chiclet keyboard, but why on earth would you want a chiclet keyboard on a desktop? That costs £100! Or even more if you have the temerity to want a numpad and other such keys. And isn’t backlit. If it were waterproof, maybe it would be a trade-off worth considering. It’s not.

Hey I bought one of those! (I got it as an upgrade when I bought my iMac.) I like it. Although honestly I don’t need it. When I am doing heavy Excel stuff I use my PC. macOS really needs a function key toggle. Although I bet there is an app for that.

And because Apple is intent on making those fucking butterflies work…

I think if/when Apple moves to ARM next year, and the inevitable form factor change, the keyboards will get redesigned.

Until then, yeah, they are going to keep trying to get this thing to work. It seems as if the issue is less dirt getting under the keyboards but temps under the keyboard. It seems as if the keys that are consistent to failing tend to get hot.