Do you wear a kilt?

That’s the same error in thinking that leads to nerds watching Indiana Jones and buying fedoras, or mistaking black trenchcoats for cool.

This. This times a million!

You know, I’ve only seen really heavy dudes wearing utilikilts. Is it because they’re just so far past caring that it becomes a whatever, or is it more comfortable if you’re super sized?

People wearing the traditional variety are pretty much your standard cross section of the populace; I suppose they’re allowed, but damn it dude we have jeans for a reason.

This is a lot more acceptable to me than the neckbeard nerd back in HS who would wear one.

Aside from the the aforementioned neckbeard, the only other person I’ve known who wore a kilt was a bag piper. He didn’t wear it as every day clothes though but as part of his formal performing attire with the group he was a part of.

I was a groomsman in a wedding where we all wore kilts. I was a little leery at the time, but man did that generate a lot of positive attention from the ladies at the bar after the reception.

I hear a story coming on drake. ;)

zOMG. It’s worse than wearing a white dinner jacked after Labor Day!

I’ve not worn one but would totally wear a utilikilt. I don’t like jeans. I built a work table in my garage yesterday and was wishing I had the carpenter one.

For some reason, kilts are very popular in the customer service group where I work. If I drive out by those buildings to go to Costco, I see dudes cutting across the street wearing utility kilts, parachute pocket kilts, and even camouflage kilts. Some of them are big and burly men and it’s easy to imagine they are Irish or Scots. But then you see little dudes with dark hair and knobby knees and you just think: WTF is going on here?

That’s no justification. Bar one tabletop gamer I saw at a gaming convention, I have never seen an Irish or Scots person wear a kilt outside a wedding, pipe band event or rugby match.

No sir; there are county tartans and even country tartans (Canada just got one last year) and there are even some (like Black Watch, I think) that you can wear even if you’re not a celt. My family (from Kinsale) doesn’t have a tartan, so I wear County Cork (where Kinsale is located).

And all you folks who are proclaiming what is and isn’t justified sound pretty arrogant. The world would be bloody boring if we all looked like the same homogenized, paper-cutout Gap people.

No. And I’m Scottish. (By blood, not culture.)

I just want to know where these kilt-wearers are living. I like in NYC, and I see people wearing all sorts of crazy things, but I see more men in dresses than kilts. (aside from bagpipe-parade types, but we’ve established that doesn’t count).

If someone would care to make me an honorary Scotsman/clansman/whatever and point out the proper tartan, I wouldn’t mind wearing a kilt on formal occasions.

Beyond that, no fecking way I’m wearing a skirt.

Nobody thinks everyone should look the same.

But when you make a fashion statement, you’re saying something about yourself. This is especially true when you wear an archaic or costume-y item of clothing. I don’t hope that all my coworkers will show up to work in khakis and a blue button-down, but if one shows up wearing a wedding dress, I’m going to raise my eyebrow.

Somehow there’s a strange overlap between nerds and people who incorrectly think they look cool in kilts.

Your’re right, and when people tell me it’s not masculine to wear a kilt, or I’m ‘a man in a dress’, or ‘no way (they’d) wear a skirt’, they’re telling me they’ve got a scorching case of homophobia. Raise your eyebrow, or display some other disapproving behaviour. You don’t get to dictate what ‘normal’ is. Get over yourself.

No, they have a scorching case of not wanting to wear a kilt, and/or thinking that devoid of cultural identity, a man in a skirt looks ridiculous.

I’m relieved that the Quarter to Three fashion police has weighed in on this issue. Vintage Pac-Man T-shirts stained with 25 years of grime: okay. Kilts: not okay.

And get a haircut, hippie.

I guess technically I can wear the MacBeth tartan and not be a total poseur, but kilts are ridiculous. Never owned one, would only wear one as a joke.

No, those are not ok either.