Doctor Sleep - Mike Flanagan and The Shining sequel

I enjoyed it but I agree it wasn’t too scary in the “horror movie” sense. Pretty traditional Stephen King story though.

Has anyone seen the extended cut?

I’m a fan of both The Shining book and movie. I’ve read Doctor Sleep but haven’t seen that movie yet.

So what’s the verdict on the Director’s Cut? Overlong for no reason, or adds worthy stuff to the theatrical cut (I know there are spoilers about what’s in it, I’m just wondering whether anyone has seen it and has thoughts)?

The general consensus is that if you like this movie you’d really appreciate the cut. And if you’re really interested in seeing it for the first time, you might as well watch this version. It adds a lot of material mostly around Danny, his abilities and his relationship with his father. Adds a lot more depth to not only his character but how he reacts and moves along with the plot.

— Alan

Sounds good to me. Director’s Cut it is. Thanks!

I just watched this. Rebecca Ferguson is stunningly beautiful. So much so I didn’t care what the film was about I just waited for her to reappear.

So true. Go watch Mission Impossible: Fallout then and enjoy more of her.

I just saw and enjoyed this. Not earth-shattering, but a good watch and not a disgrace as a sequel to either the original book or movie. (Given Kubrick is dead and King isn’t, this actually had more to do with the Kubrick movie than I was expecting.)

People are right to say it isn’t purely a horror movie. It’s more like a horror/YA fantasy hybrid: Danny Torrance and Jean Grey vs. the Lost Boys. But that turned out to be pretty entertaining.

I read the book but probably won’t see the movie. I am curious though, does the death detector cat make an appearance?

Yes45

100 years ago today!