Doctor Who: 2007

It’s already been renewed for a 4th season, and Davies will likely be back.

They were actually portrayed completely seriously until Tom Baker’s era, when they changed them completely and made the complete clowns, which was a difficult characterization to “put back in the box” once done. They were more serious again in Davison’s time, but still pretty goofy.

Everything was goofy and retarded in Pip and Jane’s storylines, so that’s almost moot, heh.

I’d been hearing rumors he was burning out on it.

Yeah, he’s stated he doesn’t want to do it forever, but who knows how much of that is contract negotiations? He hasn’t confirmed he’ll be back.

Tennant has confirmed that he’s back for the full 4th season after this one. Having watched the season opener, I’m reminded why that’s such a good thing. While I’m sad we didn’t get 2-3 years at least out of Eccleston, Tennant is very solid in the role.

IIRC, Tennant said before season 2 that he loved Doctor Who, would be happy to do the show as long as it’ll have him, he’s not worried about being typecast, etc. Seems like he knows this is a solid gig and he’s not prissy about not getting to do serious roles because of it. Like that worked out so well for Billie Piper and David Eccleston :)

Christopher Eccleston, and he’s already a well established and accomplished actor. The show was lucky to get him, even if only for a season.

Whoops, Christopher Eccleston, my mistake. I didn’t realize he was already established, though.

I’m not sure that would be a bad thing. I love what he’s created, but it might be okay to have some fresh blood.

Yeah, a lot of people over here were surprised when he accepted the role in the first place. He’s not really a household name (or wasn’t, prior to Who), but he’s definitely a respected guy.

Tennant’s not at much risk of being typecast - he’s shown what he can do plenty of times over. Amusingly, if you listen to the New Who audiobooks, he reads the narrator in his regular Scottish accent, switching back and from the Doctor’s English one on the fly. It takes a while to get used to ;-)

Eccleston had a prominent role in the BBC’s Cracker in the early 90’s. That was the first time I’d seen him.

Eccleston was also Lord Norfolk in Elizabeth. Good role.

That’s what I was thinking…until we got Torchwood, which made me think that that’s the sort of “talent” who will inherit the show if he leaves. So I now want him to stay forever.

5 Doctor X-mas special…kinda: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcP02lSoS64

Yeha that Dead ringers was out at the same time the first “xmas episode” was, an oldie but a goody.

Don’t even say something like that!

Good god man, you’re cursing us.

This week’s episode was pretty good, although a bit too clever for it’s own good. I do like that they got into the real (rebuilt) Globe theater to do filming and stuff. Nice version of Shakespeare. And omg catpeople again next week~ :P

Agree completely - enjoyable, but too cute-clever for it’s own good.

I like the cat people! Glad to see them back, and the Face of Boa. But the stories with the Face have been the worst in the first 2 seasons, so hopefully they’ll break that streak.

Wow, almost a week after broadcast, and there’s only two comments on The Shakespeare Code? I think that says something about the episode.

Specifically, it says what you two have already said (which was almost exactly what I was going to say: “Fun, but too cute by half”).

Really liking Martha so far. Bodes well. And it’s nice that Rose continues to come up, however briefly. It gives weight to The Doctor’s loss. I’ve always hated it when important characters leave a show and the others have completely forgotten them by the next episode.

I enjoyed it, but it wasn’t anything notable. Honestly if every episode was just this good I’d b happy.

Next one looks like fun.

The episode was better than I expected - I merely expected “OK” :)

No commenting because it’s Guitar Hero II month?