Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker, Thirteenth Doctor

It would derail this thread entirely and is Kevin Spacey-bad.

OK, Start a “Kevin Spacey-Bad Moments” thread. You GOTTA tell this story!

Meh, I also didn’t want to get into this because it’s not exactly flattering to me, but consists of Creepy sexual advances that I was initially oblivious to, as I just didn’t see them coming, even though he invited us to his hotel room and offered us booze.

It was in 1984 in Buffalo and my dad had driven me, my friend, and my sister to the convention - we had met Jon Pertwee, who was always my favorite Doctor as I both liked his style (cranky old man scientist who liked gadgets and actually physically fought the monsters).

We met JNT - He asked us to come back to his hotel room to show us Caves of Androzani, which hadn’t aired locally although it had in Britain, so it was an irresistible invitation. Just my friend and I went, not my (older) sister, although I do think she was invited and that was just her choice. We thought there would be other people there too, but there was just JNT, his companion, and me and my friend.

He did show Caves of Androzani to us (it was divided into two parts, not 4, as it aired), but also kept trying to get us to drink more and wanted us to sit with him and started putting his hand on my friend’s leg. His companion said some increasingly salacious things, but didn’t do anything physically. It was really terrible, in hindsight - he wouldn’t let me leave until I lay on the couch (on my back) and let him hug me by putting his head on my chest, and lying in that position for a couple of minutes.

I was creeped out by it (even more so now, having shed my naivety), but I surprisingly non-chalant - by that point I knew he liked us, but I just viewed it like an ugly girl hitting on me - while I was mad in hindsight for letting him do that, I never would have allowed anything (more) overtly sexual, or the removal of any of his clothes or anything.

It was kind of a dangerous situation though, as there was just me and my friend, and JNT and his companion - it probably was more damaging than I realize, as both my friend and I felt guilty for years (maybe even now) that maybe it was our fault, which is completely retarded. We were just naive kids who didn’t even consider that he might have ulterior motivations. I don’t hate him - he was just gross and pathetic.

I can intellectualize how it wasn’t that meaningful to me, but I did feel trapped and obliged to be polite, etc. A moment that I think affected my comfort with intimacy and made me much more cynical and distrustful of people after that. It probably says something that I’m publicly revealing that despite being a relatively private guy who even wrote under a pseudonym.

Wow.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope it helped get some kind of burden off our chest. I am glad nothing dangerous or really damaging resulted from that encounter.

When we were kids (I was born in '71) those things weren’t placed on our radar, the way they should be/are to kids today.

I had always heard stories from people who attended cons that spoke of his seediness and creepiness, but nothing quite to this level. To the point where I am shocked to hear of it, but not completely surprised, if that makes any sense?

Up to episode 5. Mostly meh on the series overall, but the new Doctor is all right I think. At least, I don’t actively dislike her as much as I’ve disliked most of the Doctors since Eccleston’s.

The Pting is my new favorite Whoverse alien.

The most enjoyable part for me so far is the relationships between the companions, especially Rory & Graham.

This has been super fun for me too. I am just adoring Graham. Also I think Whittaker is doing a fantastic job.

Catching up, I am on the Kerblam! episode and enjoying it so far, still some of the stories have been weak to average this season.

Production has really slowed in the last few years. Wonder if they’ll move to every other year as the new normal.

I would say the writing has been more than weak, its been pretty terrible.

They just keep on with the “we know this doesn’t make sense, so talk fast and spout nonsense” crap. Can’t anyone at the BBC write a script that makes sense?

It certainly has; I wonder if there’s a money crunch going on.

Yeah… I started the season with enthusiasm and after 6 episodes, I’ve basically lost interest.

I skipped most of this season and just caught the finale. So y’all are saying the ancient big bad being defeated by a companion accidentally shooting him in the foot is about the level of writing I missed out on?

Finished up the India split episode and the Witch Hunter episode, I still have 2 episodes to go. The casting is top notch this season, but the stories are indeed the weak link again, just like last season.

Completely agree. I just want them to get a new showrunner at this point.

The show is not the Dr. Who I am used to.

Seems like its gonna happen!

Slightly old news as we know Jodie will be back.

As I said upthread, the most enjoyable thing for me this series, by a country mile, has been the companions, and particularly the relationship between Graham & Ryan. I think those two have been absolutely brilliant.

I haven’t minded Jodie Whittaker, but she seems like a female David Tennant to me, with a dash of Matt Smith added to the mix. I hope she is allowed to develop more to put her own individual stamp on the show. I don’t think there is any lack of ability there.

A few of the episodes I did enjoy a lot, but others were very pedestrian and too easily resolved.

So overall a bare pass I suppose, but I understand the viewpoint of others who are not satisfied.

What a boring finale with a lot of stuff going on, how the hell do they make a episode of Dr Who boring. Also this might have been the worst villain ever.

So yep… Graham and Ryan are great, Yasmin is alright but having three companions seems one too many and she seems to have very little to do. I think looking at the season from start to finish the issue I am having is our New Doctor is missing the Gravitas that I very much enjoyed with Capaldi, and even Smith and Tennant had to some degree in later seasons even if they were younger actors playing an old Time Lord.

Maybe the new years special will be good?

Yeah, the finale was weak. Not truly bad (eg - Sleep No More), but certainly not up to standard.

I really enjoy Whitaker’s version of The Doctor, but the one thing I’ve noticed is she’s always … well, right. One of the things I’ve about Doctor Who is how it explores imperfection despite the massive intellect and breadth of experience The Doctor has. Whitaker has yet to have that “Oh, $#!t” moment which all the other Doctors seemed to embrace and grow from.

Disappointing to hear the writing never picked up… I thought the first episode was quite fun, but the next few were dull enough to make me lose interest. Which ones are the most interesting this season?