Doctor Who: The Capaldi thread

Next season is available for pre-order, and the first episode hits the airwaves this weekend. It is also showing on the big screen in select theaters. I grew jaded, this century, soon after Eccleston departed, but enjoyed a handful of individual episodes since then. Capaldi seems to be worth a gamble so I’ll be watching in a theater with friends on Monday night.

So Jenna Coleman’s Clara Oswald is departing the show after the Christmas special or thereabouts. Anyone here know why? Was amused when at least one news source described her as “one of the longest running companions”. Er, no. She sure has cuteness down, but just wasn’t given a good script IMO. I’m assuming that (a) she had a competing offer or (b) she didn’t want to continue working with Capaldi.

Or more likely she was given the boot as it wasn’t working well on the new set maybe. Normally you get new assistants with a new doctor.

I got really tired of Matt Smith’s breathless, frantic, manic schtick. I’m willing to give Capaldi a try in the hopes he’s more watchable.

Yeah, it’s not like anyone but Rose and the Ponds have stuck around for particularly long in New Who.

It’s kind of funny to think about it that way, because there’s a pretty wide spread of appearances. Here’s a few of the highest-appearing, chronologically:

Rose - 35 episodes (incl. numerous “ghost” appearances, etc.)
Martha - 19 episodes (technically 20, but one was her “cousin” or something)
Donna - 16 episodes (incl. 3 Specials, sorta)
River - 14 episodes
Amy - 33 episodes (incl. 2 Xmas Specials)
Rory - 27 episodes (incl. 2 Xmas Specials)
Clara - 25 episodes (assuming she’s in all 12 + Special this year)

Cap’n Jack got about 11 episodes total; Mickey got another 16(!) somehow. Aside from one- or two-offs, they are the lowest of the mainline companions.

I miss Donna.

Oh god, me too. Can the new Doctor go back and fix her please so she can come back with him?

All sane people do.

Can we just, um, I dunno, Regenerate her because she absorbed some Time Lord energy or whatever, and she regenerates into a version of Donna that is played by Karen Gillan?

Because if I could enjoy the DoctorDonna relationship while I get to, erm, appreciate Ms. Gillan’s considerable talents, I’d be the happiest Whovian ever.

I do love Mr Capaldi, though I generally find Dr Who to be completely impenetrable (that’s what she said, ha ha, etc) so it will be a mental tug of war to see if I can give it another go. I did generally like the performance of Christopher Eccleston though the episodes I saw where he was fighting department store mannequins did not interest me. And I guess maybe it’s heresy for fans, but I just didn’t care for what either of the two more recent doctors were doing. Though I’m always up for another go round, and I’m curious to see what Capaldi will do in a non-swearing role. And between Red Dwarf, Warhammer 40K and Judge Dredd, I’m really interested in what British sci-fi looks like, so what the hell.

Gillan is pretty, but Catherine Tate is a proven comic actress who can act circles around her. There can be no substitute.

Seconded. Personally I also have a bigger crush on Tate too. ;)

I did catch Gillan on a few episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV on Adult Swim a while back. She was actually pretty good. But Tate has been doing comedy much, much longer. Still, I do respect that Gillan is trying to expand her range though instead of just sticking to “hot red head” as her resume heading.

The actress that played Rose, is really fantastic on Penny Dreadful. Gillian has a show coming out soon called Selfie.

I am pretty excited for a more grown up doctor.

Here’s what I’m doing on Monday: Discover Exciting Events & Movies Near You | Fathom Events

A celebration of the twelfth doctor featuring the season premiere PLUS an exclusive prequel scene and a behind-the-scenes look at the making of Deep Breath!

Fathom Events and BBC Worldwide are thrilled to celebrate new beginnings when Doctor Who Season Premiere: Deep Breath comes to select cinemas nationwide for an amazing one-night event on Monday, August 25.

Season 8 launches with a new Doctor, Peter Capaldi (In the Loop, World War Z), at the helm of the TARDIS as he’s joined by companion Jenna Coleman (Captain America: The First Avenger) in what promises to be the most amazing Doctor Who adventure yet. Clara is alone in Victorian London with a man she doesn’t know, a dinosaur in the Thames, and a spate of deadly spontaneous combustions. The Doctor has changed. It’s time you knew him.

Also heading out to one of those. Looking forward to it :)

His first interview after filming completed. I like how he is inadvertently giving everyone the bird at the start.

I can’t understand a word he says.

Yeah, so I think he just out-awesomed three years worth of Matt Smith in a single episode.