Doctor Who: The Capaldi thread

I really hope not, but it seems like they’re setting it up. I really hope it’s a two-episode thing. If not, just…wow.

They should have gotten rid of Clara and the shades at the end of the second episode.

I liked Clara during the whole “Impossible Girl” arc.

I also didn’t care for Mickey 2. I didn’t like Mickey 1 much either but he worked with the stories. Danny Pink seemed a bit forced into the story at times.

A companion like Donna I feel might be a good fit. Just not Donna, they’d never leave the Tardis. They’d just bicker like an old married couple.

Clara was good in the Impossible Girl arc. But from my (bad) memory, that was basically the season opener/souffle girl, and the season finale. All the bits in-between were not so great.

Pretty decent mystery story this week. Wasn’t that silly, had me trying to guess what was really going on, and Clara was acting like a companion should act. Looking forward to the resolve next week.

One of the more coherent episodes in recent memory, and managed to generate some dramatic tension because the narrative wasn’t just treated as something to endure in order to spawn emotion and wacky character moments. Maybe the best episode yet for this Doctor, and a spooky ending.

I mostly enjoyed it, but it was spoiled by two needlessly stupid plot contrivances. The coordinates thing makes zero sense - which may end up being deliberate, but the Doctor should realise that. And the whole bait and switch thing to get them into the Faraday cage - why? What purpose did having more than one runner serve other than to create more opportunities to put characters in peril?

Also, I was miffed, though not at all surprised, that they could just have a deaf character be a character who just happens to be deaf, they had to make them into a plot device. It’s not just a Doctor Who failing, but still, irritating.

Well, they did reveal that the “glyphs” on the wall of the ship were intended to rewire the thought processes of anyone who viewed them. That was a bit of a deus ex machina out for some of the plot holes, but in comparison to some of the whoppers that Moffat has pulled over the years, it was a relatively minor one.

Here’s some news I never thought I’d see. Big Finish have got John Hurt for some audio adventures with the War Doctor. They are also going to be making a series with the 8th Doctor that detail his time during the Time War before the events of Night of the Doctor. This goes on my wishlist immediately.

http://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/doctor-who-the-war-doctor

I thought the War Doctor was a piece of one off stunt casting, so good on Big Finish for a little more of that!

Yeah, it’s technically explained in the plot, but it’s not very satisfying, is it? Plus none of that changes the fact that it’s stupid as you’re watching it. It was even worse than Sherlock, whose third season jumped the shark so badly that it basically ruined the rest of the show for me.

Meh, Doctor Who has a history of such things. It didn’t really bother me that much.

Yup, I actually quite enjoyed this one last night. My favourite of the 3 so far. The glasses actually ended up being useful even though I still hate them.

I found the big bad to be a great one, but the ultimate explanation for everything was yet again a bit too “timey wimey” for my liking. I wouldn’t mind learning more about the Fisher King’s race, though.

I didn’t mind the timey-wimeyness of it because at least they touched on the paradox in-story. That’s marginally better than a handwave, at least. And I agree - finding out more about them would be nice - maybe in a future episode.

The timey-wimey in this one was great, because it was well explained by the intro so it made much more sense during the reveal at the end. It would have been really hard to understand otherwise and would have really felt like hand-waving when it wasn’t!

Yeah the 4th episode helped a lot to make the 3rd make some sense. I wish I could have watched them back to back. I am not a big fan of the 2 part episodes though.

The hearse driver was hilarious. And I, too, liked the bootstrap paradox callout.

I liked that they addressed it, especially through Beethoven, but I hated the fourth wall smashing delivery. Why can’t he just be telling this story to a character instead of giving a speech to the audience like it’s a tutorial?

That villain had great visual design though. I hope they do more with that race.

I thought this was a great two parter. These are the sorts of Doctor Who stories that stand on their own. It’s also a nice reminder of why I still watch.

I always just imagine he’s explaining it to someone after the fact, so it doesn’t seem like a fourth-wall break to me. Maybe I’m just justifying it though.

Careful! Someone said that about the Weeping Angels once, and look what happened.