Doctor Who: The Capaldi thread

So modern doctor who is basically based on nonsense technobabble used to drive a plot, e.g. carnivorous sleep dust. But really, the ending of that last episode was utter utter nonsense.

sadasd

The tattoo can be removed from Riggsy but not Clara because <reasons>, oh and doctor I have captured you prepared to be teleported away, because <reasons>

Let me be brave. Let me be brave.

God damn it.

It was no Earthshock, but every time I’m about to quit (even though I like seeing old monsters return, that Zygon two-parter was almost too munch to endure) the show pieces together something to retain my interest.

Despite feeling this show is pretty lost, and I’m almost at the point where I’d prefer a (big budget) American reboot for the sake of getting something more coherent and less feelsy, this has actually been the best season in a while. Perhaps since Moffatt took over as showrunner.

I’m pretty sure Clara is not dead. Motice the way the Doctor was looking at her neck, where the tattoo was, when he hugged her goodbye?

Yeah, something is up - they’ve never had The Doctor without some harebrained scheme. They don’t always work
just in case some fan has been living under a rock

and almost everyone knows that she’s leaving the show,

but I suspect this won’t be the exact way that she goes out.

Did anybody catch exactly what the tattoo said when it was on the back of her neck? It didn’t look like numbers to me, more like a three-letter word, but they only showed it for a moment and then switch to the reaction shot of Mayor Me channelling Tenant’s “I’m so, so sorry” routine.

It said ‘033’, the same as it displayed just before being transferred over. Then at the end, it says ‘008’.

Yeah, it was just using some retro-future font

No comments about tonight’s episode? It was either awesome, the logical extreme of Groundhog Day, or a babbling lore mess, and I have no idea which. Or if it’s all. Or something in between. The only thing I really understand is

doctor 8

The 8th doctor apparently revealed that he is half-human on his mother’s side, which is why he can be the hybrid. Maybe this is obvious and well known, but spoilering it just in case.

I’m going with ‘awesome’.

Regarding your spoiler, Paul McGann’s doctor is regarded as canon, but no-one knows if he was speaking truth or not in that TV movie. It’s never been discussed or confirmed since, one way or the other.

Perhaps what he meant when he said it is:
spoiler

“The hybrid is Me.”

Yes, it’s obviously meant to make us suspect that possibility,

otherwise he should have said

‘I am the hybrid’. But when has he called Ashildr ‘Me’? Hasn’t he always used her original name up to this point?

I don’t know why I’m using spoilers there… everyone in here should have seen the ep, right? :P

Well, I missed that connection entirely, so thanks :)

Certainly going with awesome on the episode.

Interesting, but somewhat confusing.

Questions…

Did the Doctor actually give his confession dial to Ashildr in the previous episode, or was that a fake? If it was his real confession dial, how did it manage to travel from London to Gallifrey over the course of the aeons while he was chipping away inside it? Actually, even if he gave Ashildr a decoy, same question.

Either way, how did her teleport bracelet put him in that predicament? Who could have contracted with her to capture him who would have had the ability to do that?

I suppose that Time Lords aren’t meant to escape from the trap inside their confession dials, assuming that they all work like that in the first place. So perhaps Ashildr was really expecting this to be a death sentence for the Doctor.

Good question.
maybe answers?

She said whomever it was also required it, so I assume that she had some means to teleport it along as well. Of course, we always have to remember that The Doctor lies, but when asked when he also said he didn’t know how it worked. That may be something we’re supposed to find out next week.

A couple of weeks behind. Just watched the Morpheus episode. I think that was the worst Dr. Who I’ve seen in 50 years of Dr. Who. Good lord that was bad.

While I don’t think I’d go THAT far, it was certainly an unfortunate episode in an otherwise strong season. I know there’s a follow up planned for it in the future, but does anyone really want that?

I am similarly conflicted about this episode, but completely happy they didn’t bring back anyone from the dead. (Are we spoiling that yet?) I think it ultimately worked for me, even though I did find it a little absurd how many eons they made it take. I suppose it makes sense if the wall is that thick, but I thought even Matt Smith’s stay on Trenzalore was comically long without the emotional kick to earn it.

On the hybrid note, I thought it was more poetic than literal. He’s “half Dalek” in that he was willing to destroy his own people, and half Time Lord in that he was doing it to save the rest of the universe.

Although I did love the brilliant retcon from the 50th anniversary, which still allows him to work through the pain of destroying Gallifrey.

But he specifically says

‘you got the prophecy wrong. The hybrid is not half Dalek - nothing is half Dalek…’