Doctor Who: The Capaldi thread

Finished the ninth series last night. Found the ending rather weak, especially what it did with all the characters. In this regard forgetforsaken is right. I don’t like how the Whoniverse gets filed with “eternals”: The master was always the doctor’s nemesis, ok. But in the last years they added River Song, Harkness, the impossible girl, and now Ashildir.
And the doctor’s godlike attitude gets worse from season to season.
As much as I enjoyed this season I’m glad that I discovered for me the old doctors, especially the second and the fourth.

So…

-No series in 2016, only a Christmas special.
-Series in 2017 but it will be Moffat’s last.
-New showrunner will be Chris Chibnall, occasional episode writer and writer for Torchwood but more famous for Broadchurch at the moment.
-Might be worth noting that Capaldi is confirmed to do the Christmas special but not the series yet. Perhaps Moffat fancies one final flourish with a new doctor. Capaldi’s recent comments make me wonder if he’ll want to wait so long for another series as well.

Oh man, I hope Capaldi sticks around for longer. I do love him so.

Same here. Looked over at the episodes that Chibnall wrote they don’t seem that memorable, though I’ve heard decent stuff about Broadchurch.

No season next year? Good God the BBC is so inept and corrupt. I also can’t imagine anyone less competent and qualified to take over as showrunner than the person who ran Torchwood and consistently wrote the worst Doctor Who serials like Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. It’s almost an Onion story on the incompetence and lack of ability or accountability of government run anything.

Their response for why they aren’t doing a season this year is because they don’t want to complete with the Olympics.

Good Lord.

What? That race in the country with the poop water?

Time for an apologist!

People have short memories, as there was a similar gap between seasons six and eight.

The first six seasons all started airing late March/early April. But then season six (2011) was split, with the second half moved to later in the year (almost three month gap between halves). Then season seven started late the next year (September 2012) and was split over two years, six episodes per year. The next two seasons (eight and nine) both started airing late 2014 and 2015 respectively.

They’ve said that the tenth season will return to the earlier airing time in 2017, so it’s only an extra 6 months. Not totally unprecedented with this show. Also note that most UK shows only produce six episodes per season - they likely need more time to write, and the Olympics is a convenient excuse for Moffat to take his time and go out with a bang.

Actually the BBC hasn’t said they didn’t want to compete with the Olympics at all. They simply said the BBC had several major events (Olympics & European Championships) on their schedule this year, Moffat’s final series would be a major event and so they felt they could delay it into 2017. I bet they have a bit of a production conflict as well because at last count they planned to film the next Sherlock series in the early part of this year. A time when Moffat would usually be working on Doctor Who.

Well, then, it is a good thing that I am rewatching the entire series. Although, I’m already up to The Family of Blood. I have to say, the Doctor is pretty vicious in this one.

“They wanted to live forever, so the Doctor ensured that they would”.

Honestly one of my favorite moments in all of New Who. God DAYUM…

Worth reliving - https://youtu.be/w4xm9NHNUf8?t=1m38s

It’s seems like Tennant was more sad than angry.

Wonder how the other 3 would have done in that scene, not the episode.

He gave them chance after chance in that episode to save themselves, and giving them those chances likely cost the lives of several humans along the way. It was a complex resolution, and I love the episode for it.

God dammit, apparently Capaldi is leaving after the next season.

Fuck, FUCK. I love Capaldi. LOVE.

He was particularly strong this last season, I thought. Still, a three year run is pretty good.

At least they have a whole year to polish his final season to awesomeness.

Depends if you count the 1 episode Christmas special this year as a season or not ;)

It seems like the Moffat era has had the Doctor beaten and battered about the universe, always seemingly a step behind, watching as people die, including his companions, and blaming himself for it. It’s made for some emotional TV to be sure, but I feel like it may be time for a stronger, more decisive Doctor Who. A return to the golden age of weekly adventures where The Doctor saves the day with less angst and more style plus a side of extra snark.

I doubt he would be interested, but Idris Elba would make a brilliant “strong” Doctor Who. His Doctor Who would be menacing but likeable, kick-ass but comical at the same time. A “strong” Doctor would play to Chris Chibnall’s strengths as well. The best episodes of Torchwood were always when Jack and crew were kicking ass and cracking wise while saving the day.