Does anyone play MMO empire management games?

I have almost started in on several of the turn or tick-based MMO strategy titles at MPOGD. My child and a wife that works nights and weekends has pretty much dashed my hopes against the rocks for playing MMORPGs ever again, so I want to try one of these.

The learning curves are what keep me away. I read about games like Call of the Warlords, Dominions, Faith, Evernight and several others, but I never can seem to pull the trigger. They seem great…in theory. RPG elements, much strategy, competing with other players, and you can play turns when you want and games that last hours to weeks or even months. I guess I should just dive into a couple, but the time investment needed seems kinda steep.

The old CGonline forums had a Dominions thread, but I think that was because there was no official forum. Did many of you play or do you still play it or any others?

Thanks,
tj

I used to play a browser based thing called SimCountry, which is kind of like what you’re talking about. I stopped because it demanded twelve hours a day, and I was only willing to give ten.

Sorta like that.

If graphics whores, pre-teens, and the princes and princesses of gaming here at Qt3 do not play these games, who keeps them alive? The creators and their family members?

Greetings:
I spent rather a lot of time playing Evernight (and its precursor, Ultracorps). In some ways, in fact, those games were responsible for me getting into the industry.

Anyway, I find these kind of games quite enjoyable. Playing against real people, rather than AI, keeps things interesting, and the diplomacy aspects are very, very different. The one-turn-a-day thing is sometimes maddening, but it does even out the playing field between those who work and those who don’t.

From my experience, what keeps these games going is a small but dedicated fanbase and low overhead costs. The Evernight community is really a community, in many respects, with well-established personalities, running jokes, consensus-generated rules, and history.

If you’re interested, there’s a fairly comprehensive tutorial on Evernight here.

[plug mode]It’s certainly not for everyone, but for $5, it may be worth checking out.[/plug]

Michael.

Sorta like that.

If graphics whores, pre-teens, and the princes and princesses of gaming here at Qt3 do not play these games, who keeps them alive? The creators and their family members?[/quote]

Bored people with jobs that allow them lots of discretionary internet access.

Sorta like that.

If graphics whores, pre-teens, and the princes and princesses of gaming here at Qt3 do not play these games, who keeps them alive? The creators and their family members?[/quote]

Bored people with jobs that allow them lots of discretionary internet access.[/quote]

That’s me. :) I just find it strange that with all of the decades of gaming experience gathered here and the oodles of these type games out there that so few people have tried them or care enough to comment on them. Someone out there plays them and I guess they only talk to each other on their own forums.

And thanks Michael. All I need is a couple of thoughtful endorsements to push me towards one or the other. Evernight is one that I have thought seriously about trying. Thanks again.

tj

Really simple and free web based one www.dawnofmyth.com

One tick an hour – the kind of game you want to check periodically throughout the day but doesn’t really take a lot of time otherwise.

I’m not in this round, but I believe it’s over at the end of the week. So presumably a new round will start after that.

Is that the Dominions by Illwinter? Because you can play that game multiplayer, but it’s not MMO. It’s a really good game, somewhat hindered by an obtuse and clunky interface. Dominions II is on the way.

It’s generated some chatter here at various times in the past – do a keyword search for it. I remember Tom Chick and some other regulars played it for a while, and beyond single player I’ve played three or four pbem games. Dominions generated more in-depth strategy discussion on sissypigs than any other game I can remember, too.

[quote=“Jason_Lutes”]

Is that the Dominions by Illwinter? Because you can play that game multiplayer, but it’s not MMO. It’s a really good game, somewhat hindered by an obtuse and clunky interface. Dominions II is on the way.

It’s generated some chatter here at various times in the past – do a keyword search for it. I remember Tom Chick and some other regulars played it for a while, and beyond single player I’ve played three or four pbem games. Dominions generated more in-depth strategy discussion on sissypigs than any other game I can remember, too.[/quote]

Yeah that one. I remember an insane amount of posts in the CG forums. I guess branding them as MMO was incorrect when I asked if people played them. I meant my inquiry to be about the MPO strategy games listed at MPOGD.com.

Dominions search…engaged.

I wouldn’t call it a strategy game, but when my gaming order (briefly) caught the craze I once spent 30 hours straight clicking on squares in War of Conquest.

Never again. :shock: