Does Gamestop have a future?

Uh-huh. Let me see those thumbs

Reuters reported last week that Sherman has lost out on more than 587,000 shares in GameStop, originally granted in his April 2019 “inducement award agreement” and worth roughly $98 million at current prices, for failing to meet performance targets. Despite that, as noted by the Wall Street Journal, he will keep another roughly 1.12 million shares granted in the same agreement, currently worth in the neighborhood of $175 million. That value is a weird fluke, considering GameStop’s share price was well under $10 when Sherman became CEO. If the GameStop stock was worth that much today, Sherman’s shares would only be worth about $11 million.

He was barely scraping by no doubt on the meager $1.1 million a year he earned, the $150k sign on bonus back in 2019, and the 1.5x salary annual cash bonus.

It was a tough 2 years for him as CEO, there was Covids! And he no doubt did a lot of hard work from home, to be well deserving of that $180 million dollars in stock options.

He should buy everyone at wallstreetbets a free game or something, he owes them a little something for paying him that huge bonus.

I think gamestop giftcards would be more appropriate.

Game Informer subscriptions, duh.

Vulture capitalism working as intended.

My friend stupidly tried to stop by EB today, the day of release, to try and buy R-Type Final 2. I rightly predicted failure since they only stock enough for preorders but stopped allowing preorders at a cutoff date prior to release date.

He’s one of the few people who is part of the buy used physical for less than $5 off new price and then trades back for pennies on the dollar. The numbers on this have never seemed remotely worth it to me, only to GameStop.

Never tries to sell privately but just gets so little on store trade in.

R-TYPE Final 2 isn’t a great example for this stuff - NIS America has been having distribution issues with most of their recent releases, so even preordered copies aren’t available yet.

I got mine yesterday from Amazon.

I preordered through Amazon in February and was told earlier this week that I won’t get my copy until mid-May. The same thing happened with the last NIS America release I bought, Saviors of Sapphire Wings, and that game was backordered on Amazon on launch day back in March. This time Amazon just seems to be screwing me over, since the product listing for RTF2 says it’s in stock for the platform I preordered for and can be delivered by Wednesday.

Yeah, something weird is going on there. Call em up?

Soo this is on the move again along with AMC (I own this one) and I heard some news today that may just be an ace card for them.

Their core business is reselling games, we all know this. Nerd stuff is good and they can keep that going but it’s not going to sustain their business. With digital games taking over they are basically in a death spiral.

Unless they could somehow figure out a way to trade digital games or in game digital assets.

https://nft.gamestop.com/

I wouldn’t count them out just yet because that is pretty brilliant.

Plus its gonna squeeze again :)

Pretty brilliant!

GameStop has been dead to me for 20 years.
Also, GameStop is weird.

That is the largest financial penalty ever ordered by the organization, a non-government entity authorized by Congress to oversee hundreds of thousands of brokers across the U.S.

Specifically, FINRA’s investigation found that millions of customers received false or misleading information from Robinhood on a variety of issues, including how much money customers had in their accounts, whether they could place trades on margin and more.

The inaccurate information cost customers more than $7 million, FINRA found, and Robinhood is required to pay restitution to affected users.

Also, fun fact from their S-1 - 34% of their crypto trading revenue came from Dogecoin in the first quarter. And 17% of total revenue came from crypto.

That poor kid never should’ve seen that balance, and I just can’t imagine how they would let that happen. I mean a kid in that position certainly couldn’t get a loan for over 700k.

As I say upthread, Robinhood’s entire business model is about luring young people into inappropriate, highly risky positions with gamification and “free”, and disguising the fact that they’re trading on margin. They’re scummy as hell, even if you don’t buy into the order flow/trading suspension conspiracy mongering.

I don’t think I know enough to even know what the conspiracy suggestions are, but what is happening there is wrong. I mean we, as a country, struggled for years to reduce predatory lending to the point where it’s nothing like it used to be. This seems like they came up with a way to get around that AND stack a crappy information system on top of it that misleads their customers as to what is actually going on with the accounts.

70 million doesn’t seem to be enough.