Does MS really need to charge that much for Office?

Nice work sir, but I found it’s even cheaper at Amazon.

Ok, jpinard! Hop to it!

Yeah, I just choose Compusa since it was a B&M.

Hey, I use LaTeX for all my lab reports. So damn useful when integrating pictures and text and math equations. But not very portable because most machines don’t have it.

That’s a very good article but he’s inaccurate on one point. Capturing the consumer surplus has almost nothing to do with how wealthy a buyer is. It’s about how much utility the consumer gets from the product.

That’s why office costs more for businesses. Microsoft doesn’t care whether or not I run a successfull business, the utility of an office program for a business user is higher than for someone using it in their home.

Also that’s why Disneyland charges $9 for a hamburger. They don’t care what my personal disposable income is, they just know that once I’m in the park I’m very unlikely to walk all the way to the entrance, leave and find a local hamburger stand and come back to save $7. I get more utility from staying in the park and standing in line for a ride than driving around LA looking for a burger and for most people that utility is worth around $7.

LaTeX also looks so much prettier than everything else. You can tell immediately when a paper or book was done with LaTeX.

Yes, because it usually has those really ugly fonts by Donald Knuth…

Hey now, computer modern is the nicest font ever made. Evar!11

PDF is snazzy. Acrobat Reader is garbage.

Unfortunately, the best PDF viewer in all the world is Mac-only. Preview.app does an amazing job with PDFs–it’s fast, it looks good, and it doesn’t fill your screen with a billion useless UI elements.

Thankfully PC users don’t have to suffer with Acrobat either… I use FoxIt as my PDF viewer, it’s sleek and fast.

“Home and Student Edition” is just another Office label like “Ultimate”. You don’t have to qualify for it in any way as you do with educational versions of other software. Its also for “Home” users.

Right. They fuck you, because they CAN.