Does the Burton Batman suck?

The only “problem” with my list is for most people I rank Batman Forever and Daredevil too high and Batman Begins too low. Out side of that, I think the list matches general popular opinion.

I agree with all that. The original Superman just rock, then Ottis shows up, then Luthur and its down hill from there. (though the movie is still good.)

Also, Incredibles is the best Superhero movie. I don’t think anyone would argue its not. However I think the train segment in Spider-man 2 is pretty much the best Superhero scene bar none.

It goes quite a bit further than that.

Superman above Superman II.
Fantastic Four is on the list.
X-Men 3 is way too high.
Mystery Men? Seriously? It’s not so much that it’s on the list, more because of what it’s listed above.
Sky High, Rob? Sky fucking High? At #20, even?
Fantastic Four 2. On the list, and above Batman 1966 AND Batman Begins. That right there is sanitarium material, sir.

And really, you should just stop the list at #25. Past that it’s just organizing turds by their shades of brown.

I did say it was out of date. Fantastic Four 2 will move lower. it didn’t hold up very well upon repeat viewing. I always rank movies higher after first seeing them in the theater.

Sky High is light and fun.

As for Batman Begins, I just didn’t like the movie very much.

I’m not ranking “the best” but trying to rank everyone ever made. If I was just ranking best, I would go no futhur than the first 15.

Superman above Superman II.

I used to have a problem with this idea & accepted the conventional wisdom that Superman 2 is better. It does have some great stuff in it (kneel before Zod!) but I don’t think anything in it comes up to the first hour of Superman 1, which is basically perfect. For all its subsequent flaws, Superman 1 wins in my book. Those early Krypton scenes are just wonderful.

I would.

The thing is, The Incredibles IS an amazingly good movie, but it’s not strictly a “superhero movie”. It’s a superhero movie, a James Bond movie, and a mid-life crisis movie all rolled into one. Of course, I suppose one could simply nap through all the non-action segments and come away with the impression that it’s a pure rah-rah superhero smash-fest.

Myself, I’d say the best superhero movie is RoboCop.

You are batshit insane. Michael Caine was a revelation.

Though it does have Bond elements, the Incredibles is still a movie about superheroes (sort of a revamped version of the Fantastic Four done up as a nuclear family), so I’d absolutely say it qualifies. I also don’t see how the midlife crisis stuff (aka a character arc) disqualifies it in any way – not only is it not mandatory for a superhero movie to be nothing but fisticuffs, they tend to be inferior if they are.

If Robocop gets in, then that’s my new winner. My love for that movie is beyond description. I guess it’s basically a Judge Dredd movie so qualifies; I have always considered it “sci fi” rather than “superhero,” though such labels are vague and there’s a lot of overlap anyway.

The Schumaucher Batman was really bad. The Burton Batman was really cool when it first came out.

This statement lets me know to not listen to you about anything ever.

This statement makes me think the exact same thing.

The biggest problem I had with Burton’s Batman is that it should have been called “The Joker” and that it took him to hand over the reigns to Shumacher for the films to actually start looking at Batman rather than the villains.

I didn’t mind Keaton as Batman, he wasn’t as good as either Kilmer or Bale and at times was a bit “kooky” for my liking but I thought he was pretty good in the suit.

Returns blew chunks, Michelle P in the catsuit or not and the less said about Batman and Robin the better.

I do think the Burton “look” was ideal for Batman and of all the Superheros that I have a passing familiarity with he seems the ideal one to make a movie aimed at adults about.

It’s historically significant for the reasons others have noted above. And visually it holds up decently. And I’ll defend to my grave Keaton’s performance. But Burton is a terrible action director. The whole Batplane sequence is so lame it makes my teeth fall out.

And the one with Penguin was awful. Awful. After establishing a decently serious, dark tone, I’m supposed to react to an army of waddling missile penguins with anything other than derisive laughter? The only redeeming aspect was Catwoman, and that’s not enough.

I’m with Hugin, and the people who say that Batman Begins is the best superhero movie ever. The Scarecrow was a revelation – I didn’t even know you could have a superhero movie villain who wasn’t all one-liners and mustache-twirling.

I’ve been vaguely-to-terribly disappointed with most everything’s Burton’s done ever since I cultishly adored Beetlejuice when I was a teenager. Nothing of his struck me as bizarre and original since, although I mostly liked Big Fish and the new Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I also see on IMDB he’s got an Alice In Wonderland movie in pre-production, which seems up his alley.

I find Tim Burton very uneven. Edward Scissorhands and Ed Wood were very good. Mars Attacks and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory were pretty good. Everything else of his I’ve seen has been terrible.

Burton’s an artist, not a storyteller. That’s why plot-driven stuff like Mars Attacks! or Sleepy Hollow (the best looking bad movie ever) falls apart, but the more episodic stuff like Charlie or Big Fish works.

Incidentally, “An Evening with Kevin Smith” has some great anecdotes regarding both Tim Burton and The Artist Formerly Known as The Artist Formerly Known as Prince.

Looked her up, didn’t know she is the one who did TAS music and worked with Elfman. I’d say her version is my favorite then.

I’m probably going to be tarred and feathered for this(maybe I’ll become Bird Man who fights evil with his Bird Brain), but Unbreakable is the best superhero movie ever.

Well, Unbreakable without the last bit of of text.

I love the burton batman. I mean, Nicholson was a bit odd for the joker, but I liked that he took a bit of a new direction with it. The movie is full of classic lines and parts, and the visual style is very well done. Also, that batmobile toy kicked so much ass.