Dolores O'Riordan of The Cranberries RIP

46 years old. No details.

Crazy.

Oh, damn. One of my favorite voices from the 90s.

Yeah same here, I remember that Linger song on the radio all the time. Here she is from a last year.

RIP

Damn. I still keep some old CDs in the car and listen to them frequently. One of my favorites. Sad.

Big fan, real shame to hear this.

Shocked by this. Loved the Cranberries.

I saw some reports of tours cancelled due to back problems so I wonder if pain pills were the cause of death.

I’m surprised to see she’s the same age as me since I first heard Linger when I was a senior in college. She started young!

Very sad to hear this.

It does allow me to mention one of my favorite out of left field quotes of all time, however. When Phillies slugger Ryan Howard was recovering from an ankle injury a few years ago, a reporter asked him how he was doing. Howard mentioned that the ankle felt OK, but “Those kinds of things can linger, like a Cranberries song.”

This really saddens me. They were my favorite band for a lot of years in a row.

Very sad. I was never more than a casual radio listener of The Cranberries, but that Linger song was one of those soundtrack songs of whichever summer it was that was popular. It was everywhere.

News reports are saying she was bipolar, which I did not know.

Please let it not be drugs. Salvation was one of the great songs of the 90s.

Very sad, but this made me laugh:

This is incredibly sad news. They were a radio staple when I was growing up. Dreams is one of the prettiest pop songs ever.

Oh, this is terrible.

Some of her recent solo albums seemed to have a religious bent all of a sudden. I wonder if she had some kind of chronic condition going on.

I still love listening to them now. Favourite songs are When You’re Gone, Promises, Animal Instinct and Desperate Andy. Such an amazing voice.

This hurts, man. Only 46 too.

Same, modulo a few extra years. My Cranberries exposure was limited to Everybody Else is Doing It, So Why Can’t We, but damn, I knew that album inside out. Hearing her sing, I can easily recall the place I was living, the faces of my roommates, the bike ride up to campus, everything.

Very sad. RIP.

This is really sad for me as as a kid I wasn’t into music seriously and then in Grade 10 we did music video presentations (talking about the symbolism and whatnot) and someone did the Cranberries’ Zombie video and I just fell in love with it. I bought the No Need To Argue album on tape and I think I fell asleep to that album playing (and then To the Faithful Departured) every night for 2 or 3 years during high school. I haven’t listened to them recently but I still have a soft spot for them.

One of the most distinctive voices in rock/alternative. Scary thing to me is, she died 4 years younger than I am now.