Dom2: Good vs Evil game - CLOSED, get your pretenders ready!

The game seems to be unbalanced, but I think it’ll be a fair fight. I’m counting on the novice factor to handicap the goods a bit, whereas with proper blood slave sharing, the evils should have some pretty nasty armies rolling off the assembly line. Not only are we playing the bad guys, we know a lot of dirty tricks, as we’ve had them played on us :)

You are his second try, sadly. I was hoping he wouldn’t keep trying and I could avoid posting this.

Senator Cthulu/Lord Ebonstone tried to get me to claim him a spot first. As he is currently banned from QT3, Carnifex decided not to allow him in the game. When I informed him he couldn’t play he had a freak out attack on me in email. At that point I decided I’d had enough of him for the time being. The end result is he isn’t allowed on any games on my server until he gets a bit more maturity.

Curse you Carnifex! I thought I could stay away from Dominions for a while, but I find myself getting sucked back in. Especially as a team game is likely to mean less endgame micromanagement.

I’m tempted to play Jotunheim, but it really depends on the game settings. What map are you thinking of? How often would turns be due? What are the victory conditions, etc.

I’d like to play on Cradle, with Independents set to 6, starting with 3-6 provinces each, with victory points for capitols and mixed around the map (say 12x1, 6x2, 4x3), and victory to the team that controls 2/3rds of the victory points (although we’d have to track this ourselves). I also like 15 hall of fame entries with so many players, and it’d be fun to leave the Score Graphs on for once. The other settings I’d leave at default, except allow renaming (so long as people agree not to abuse it).

I’d like to try for 3 turns a week. Perhaps faster early on, and probably dropping to 2/week later on.

What about everyone else?

I would say I am an intermediate player. I can hold my own if I have the right nation and, of course, I win all my single-player games. But I am not a huge stats-meister like many experts. So, I could play for the good guys, as one of the harder races (for me) such as Caelum or Atlantis (or even Vanheim). I am not very familiar with either nation, which would probably bump me down to near noob status and I could help mentor other players. If, however, you find you have a lot of noobs and need another bad guy, I would be willing to play either nation. Just let me know. Mainly, I just really like the concept of this two sides, team format.

Dom 2 beginner’s guides?

Anyone? Bueller?

Uh. Where are all the “mentors”? :?

Try Bruce Geryk’s guide at www.Illwinter.com

As for the game, I’ll stand behind Robert in line as an intermediate player who knows what clam-hoarding is but couldn’t be bothered doing it. If players are needed (which I doubt), I’ll jump in as anything.

I’m getting the feeling that the sides are going to be the intuitive players as the good guys and the munchkins as the forces of evil. It’ll be interesting to see how it plays.

Well, I have yet to win a game, so I’ll take, ummm… Machaka, if you please.

Okay, put me down for Pangaea on the good-guy side, with the understanding that I reserve the right to withdraw if score-graphs are on. Nothing wrong with score-graphs, I just personally don’t like them.

I’m really not a mechanics shark, so I may not be as good as a teacher as others. Plus all of the nations I regularly play are on the “evil” side so I won’t be able to give advice from experience. I can cover fundamentals hopefully and even if the good side doesn’t prevail against the evil pro-sharks, it ought to be a decent learning experience all around.

I personally think the learning experience might be better if we don’t try and fill all those slots. I find games above 8ish player to be unmanageable because somebody is always on vacation/grandmas funeral/sick/has finals/travelling for business/etc. My personal preference is 6 players games but with the team aspect we ought to go a bit bigger for this game probably. My recommendation would be to close off the “evil” side right now as full and maybe wait for 3 more “good” players to give good a 7-5 advantage (I’m looking at you McMaster, Jakub). Looking at that evil player list, I’m definitely thinking they are going to clean house. I’ve played against all those people and they are sharks, sharks I tell you!

P.S. Backov, you won QT3-Hardcore. What are you doing on the “Never Win” team? ;-)

I’d figured the never won condition was a joke, considering the premise was to offset the factional misbalance by player experience…

Oh yes, rules!
No score graphs (I don’t like them and I don’t want them to drive people away, independents 5 (sound good?), renaming’s OK.
I like the victory point idea, let’s stick with that. As far as maps go, Cradle’s fine unless someone has a strenuous objection. Gotta have the renaming option- it’s just too fun to pass up.

The end state is allied victory- either good or evil wins. Either side may of course decide to turn on itself after wiping out the opposition, but the game will officially end once the last good nation is extinguished.
Evil cannot lose.

I’m familiar with a lot of the “good” nations, especially Marignon, Pangaea and Tien Chi. That’s why I didn’t pick one of those. The nation you are playing, Man, is relatively straightforward, so I can help you with any question you might have about it. Nick can help as well. Once the game starts, I’ll send you (and everyone else on the team, obviously) my email, so you can ask questions.

We are using 2.13 right?

If necessary, I can be a mentor, but I think I’d be a good Ermor. ;>

Who should I take Balut?!?! PANTHRO ON THAT ASS

Of the the remaining unclaimed good nations, Vanheim or Pythium would probably be the best bets, though none of them are really wrong choices. I’m really hoping someone on good takes Vanheim, we need the blood magic. The bad people are going to be using a lot of it I’m sure and we’ll need a bit to keep up.

Also, since we actually have the cradle map creator in this game (Hi Jason!), I nominate him to massage the .map file and get us good starting locations. It’s going to be awful boring for someone if they get stuck surrounded by teammates with no enemies to attack so I’m hoping we can have a checkerboard start with good and evil all nicely mixed up.

For people on the “good” team, feel free to consult me via PM, email, or AIM if you want a little advice getting a good pretender design together. Pretender design is a lot more important than it seems, since for a lot of nations it’s their only chance to get access to certain types of magic.

Yes

I have used blood magic in other games. I could take that role, if you would prefer, Nick. It might be better than leaving it to someone new to the game.

Just post when all the courtesy’s done and you’ve decided who’s playing what.

The problem with Blood Magic is it’s not easy to get a hold of at all for a newbie player. Vanheim would be a great faction to learn, McMaster, but make sure the mentor players on Good give you advice on how to grow and manage blood income. Actually, the reason I’m not on Good is that I barely play as any of the “good” factions in Dom2, so I’d be more of another newbie than a mentor on the Good side. I’ll still give you advice though, as Abysia is probably my best faction and I’m all over that Blood Magic goodness.