Dome living is the life for me!

Oh Barbara, your mind just gets more and more beautiful with age.

In a segment at the top of the show on the surge of evacuees to the Texas city, Barbara Bush said: “Almost everyone I’ve talked to says we’re going to move to Houston.”

Then she added: "What I’m hearing is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality.

“And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this–this [she chuckles slightly]is working very well for them.”

Yes, poor folks love living communally on cots after watching everything they owned get washed away. It’s fantastic!

Ooooh, that Lucky Ducky!

I swear the Bush family is going to make my head explode.

They are all evil simpletons.

Guess what, the quote is even worse than originally reported:

What I’m hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overhwlemed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle)–this is working very well for them.

And here she is, immortilized on mp3, in case anyone would like to accuse me of anything.

yeah? Yeah? I bet some democrat said something even worse, sometime in our country’s history. Can’t wait to see linoleum pull up some quote from 1904 as proof that Barbara was in the right because someone said something worse.

Chet

Bill Clinton got a blowjob and lied about it!

Awww…looks like Bush the Smarter wants to compete with his wife for who can be the most maliciously dumb. We can’t say the government is doing a bad job until we conduct an on-air interview live with someone stuck on their roof who says FEMA is doing a bad job.

Why are they dressed like prisoners?

http://atrios.blogspot.com/2005_09_04_atrios_archive.html#112597122217543452

They left out part:

What I’m hearing which is sort of scary is that they all want to stay in Texas. Everybody is so overhwlemed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway so this (chuckle)–this is working very well for them.

Edit: I did read the thread but didn’t see it. Hmph.

Jason, come on, start reading the thread.

Not to give Barbara a pass, but that is sort of scary. Not scary in terms of “OMG, these people are all staying in Houston and we don’t want them to,” but definitely scary in terms of “OMG, is anyone going back to New Orleans?” That place is going to be a ghost town. How much of its former populaion will return at all?

Hey he only spends 15 minutes a day on QT3, he ain’t got time to read!

They could move to Quebec. That would just be insane. Awesome insane.

I’d say a lot. There’s no other town quite like it and the people that live there stay there. (As we saw with the evacuation order)

As long as they’re “Cajun” and can speak that wacky Acadian French they’d most definitely be welcome. Quebec is well known for actively welcoming francophone immigrants; the number of Haitians now living in Montreal is astonishing.

Unfortunately, the US is not considered as a “refugee” producing country by Immigration Canada, so even the Cajuns aren’t really able to come over easily. They’d have to come under the generic immigration rules, which make immigration nearly impossible if you’re not a sought after skilled worker, can own a business, or sponsored by family members.

Canada relies on immigration for population growth, and is one of the most welcoming countries in the world for asylum seekers and refugees, but standard immigration from a privileged country (such as the US) is not very easy.

I know you were being facetious, but it’s still interesting to note New Brunswick with its huge Acadian population would probably be incredibly willing to help resettle some of their long lost brethren down in Louisiana. I’d guess even more so than Quebec.

But would the Quebecois really welcome the Cjun folk as Acadian brethren? I am not really all that informed about Quebecois / Acadian realtionships. My only point of knowledge is from a French-speaking New Brunskwicker who claims the Quebecois look down their nose at the French speakers outside of Quebec.

As Ephraim mentioned, the Acadian connection is there. From the CBC article:

Because of the deep connection of Atlantic Canada’s Acadians with the U.S. South, McLellan said many people have offered to shelter children or families who may need somewhere to go.

Does he have time to duck?

I considered making that joke but tried to turn it into “time to post” and that just didn’t work out.