Dominions 2 hosting

Hi guys,

I’ve been following the Dom2 threads since the game was released and I think it’s about time I joined in a game.

I’ve seen a few guides for hosting but I can’t remember there being one for hosting under linux. If possible I’d like to setup a server that deals with everything automatically (I’ve got a couple of linux servers doing very little), but I don’t know if there’s any scripts that’ll help me. I’m more than happy to host games for the QT3 crowd if I can get it going.

If not, I’ll just have to beg my way into the next QT3Noob game :)

• Jamie

Poor timing on your part, 2 new games just filled up. Usually we see a new game pop up every month or so on QT3. If you hang out on the shrapnel boards you can find games much more often, the only downside being you have to play with people from the shrapnel boards. I much prefer the QT3 crowd.

If you want to do hosting and have a linux server, it’s really easy. About the only script you need is one to send out automated e-mail notifications when the turn advances. I’ll be happy to provide the script I wrote for that.

Ah, I’m sure there’ll be some people wanting to play in a week or so :)

If you could mail me the script that’d be great - email’s in my profile - so I can test out the hosting and make sure I know what I’m doing when the time comes.

• Jamie

Why don’t you host your own game? Why look for another game, why don’t you just host your own?

I get the impression there’s ‘enough’ games running at the moment, not sure there’d be the demand.

Though once I work out the hosting I’ll probably advertise a newbie game to test it out anyway.

Someone still has a sore ass.

I don’t think the QT3’ers think there can be “enough” games running. Also, a couple games are coming to an end (Lutes 1 and QT3Pro) in the relatively near future.

I don’t think the QT3’ers think there can be “enough” games running. Also, a couple games are coming to an end (Lutes 1 and QT3Pro) in the relatively near future.[/quote]

Ryan has an excellent point. As games finish, the players will probably be shopping for a new Dom2 games. I know I’ll be starting another game when Lutes-1 finishes, but I can’t really make a prediction on when that will be.

Just divide the remaining world provinces by 10, or however many you’re capturing per turn. :)

Those two games hosted by Backov filled up in less than 12 hours, so I’d say there’s plenty of demand. Sucks if you don’t visit the forum every day.

If you can’t get the server running, I might host a PBEM game or two. Not exactly looking forward to that, but oh well.

BTW, you might want to check out Esben Mose Hansen’s Dom2 server page.

Ok, I’ll run a couple of games shortly then (stuck at work at the mo, Friday afternoon and I’ve actually got things to do! The cheek of it).

Maybe I should put it to vote on what sort of games people want (size, type of players ie newbie/hardcore, settings)?

Qt3Noob2 should be ending soon too.

It would end sooner if everyone would accept the overwhelming superiority of mighty R’lyeh and bow down before the Tentacled Ones, submitting their souls and sanity to Cthulhu.

But some people are unreasonably stubborn about that sort of thing.

Anyway, I wouldn’t worry about finding players to fill a game - seems like there’s always demand, for both newbie and experienced games.

Ugh, dom2_nosdl is segfaulting on both my linux servers.

Bugger. I’ll keep trying.

[size=2]Edit - fixed:

I WILL learn to read the readme.
[/size]

Someone still has a sore ass.[/quote]

No, someone just likes to mock idiots.

Ow?

Then mock yourself for that prissy “Oh, the 5 seconds to send turns out is too time consuming for me” bullshit you gave us. JM is simply asking for some assistance in getting things going under Linux.

Then mock yourself for that prissy “Oh, the 5 seconds to send turns out is too time consuming for me” bullshit you gave us. JM is simply asking for some assistance in getting things going under Linux.[/quote]

I didn’t ask for your opinion; I stated as a given that I did not want to host and asked where there were games. I didn’t, and don’t, give a shit about whether you think that’s fair, whether you think I should try to host, whether you think I’m being selfish with my time, or what you think about much of anything.

You were being a complete retard, and now you’re here getting snippy with someone asking an honest question in petty retaliation over the mocking you were rightfully on the recieving end of. As it is, all you’re doing right now is dragging some poor guy into your bitchy mood. Now stow it.

No, I wasn’t getting snippy with the original poster; I have no problem with him. I was mocking you and your type. Please see my previous post on this subject.

As for your “Now stow it” comment, you once again seem to have control issues and a need to tell people what to do. Fortunately, you are not my father. Once again, I don’t give a shit about what you want me to do. Please see my previous post on this subject.

Can you two take it to PMs or start posting in the original thread or something?

JM, thanks for volunteering to host. I have no doubt your game will fill up fast, whenever you open it. To save yourself the hassle, I’d post the experience level, game settings, and how often you expect people to send turns in right up front. Otherwise everyone will bug you about it.