Dominions 5 - Born to be Van Wilder

The Story of Bat Folly: (note I wanted to attack last turn, but then decided just to PING it with a scout. But didnt change orders on all my troops, which is why @pyrhic saw the ghoul suicide charge).

I attacked Niefelhiem in winter on his home, which still had 8 dominion. The bulk of my troops are cold blooded, so I knew I had a couple turns at most to do the most damage before they all froze. I also brought every type of demon I could grab, and tried to make Niefel’s home filled with unrest by hitting it with Blight and Rain of Toads whenever I could. The unrest would make my ko-onis better.

I attacked with 337 units, of which 15 were mages, 2 were banes, and one prophet bat. I had 30 merc longbowmen, 50 merc ghouls, 40 odd flying demons, mostly beast bats, and about 90 bats proper. I had a …PLETHORA of blood slaves and gems.

@kelan defended with a 4 gygjas( nature and death gems), three partially equipped Niefel Jarls, a hero (huntress), a bane, and for troops he had 12 ice drakes, 11 niefel giants, 13 Draugs, and about 50 assorted jotuns, plus 33 units of province defense (I assume this is a standard 25 PD?)?

My plan was to drown them in Imps which, with Iron bane, Blood Lust, and Darkness, would be able to make them actually do damage to the jotuns. Sprinkle in some Agony castings, and a Hellbind Heart or two for spice. ( Note the requires Alt 6 and Blood 5 or so. If you are reading this, and have not gotten to those levels or more in a couple magic schools, which I got even though I got a horrific start, you need to double down on your research). In addition, I had seen how deadly the ice drakes were against the Jinn. So I devoted my best units with the best morale to attack rear to take them out.

@Kelan 's plan was to stay close together, spam out Swarm, Summon Lamastas, and let the cold do the work.

Lets just say, his plan worked better than mine.
Good news! - the ice drakes are dead. And only 2 mages died. One of his Skrattis died.
Bad news! - the cream of my summoned devils are dead. Oh, and the ko-onis trudged slowly through the snow, suffered a minus 3 to hit because of the Order in the province, and were worthless.
More bad news! I did summon a lot of imps…but they either took out the 4 Lammastas that were summoned, or beat ineffectually on the giants.

The bulk of the kills came from the 12 Ice drakes (54), and the 3 Niefel Jarls (56). If it weren’t for those two elements, I think it would have been different.

Suffice to say, I am glad that my pretender, who would have entered the battle with 10% of her hit points, stayed one province away.

(not really sure how to screen shot and post stuff? I dont have drop box or whatever).

Ouch.

If it’s any consolation @Akaoni you did swipe the Master Assassin from me. I had plans for him. Actually, it’s kinda silly. I bought the Assassin to cause trouble with Rus in our short war, but when it ended, I had another use for him. The last land province I took, I decided to just assassinate most of the indy commanders. It wasn’t really necessary, but I was then going to extend that thinking and use it against the throne commanders.

Similarly, if I’d known Xibalba (edit: Niefelheim) was doing so well on the defence, I wouldn’t have held back taking the UW provinces. But I thought I’d give Kelan a few turns to enjoy any possible benefit from the water. But then there’s Ubar cleaning up instead. Ah well, I can share with my ethereal neighbours :)

And finally, if the game would kindly stop giving me events that see me losing gold each turn, that would be great. Really threw my plans into disarray last couple of turns.

Nothing like finding out your research target is a national only spell available only to a nation that you are not playing.

yeah, so that’s a thing I did.

oops.

thats why i like to test to make sure i can reach my goals. I really dont like finding out 50 turns in that what i really needed was a ES path magician to create the booster i need to get to my target.

I like testing extensively, being assured that I will usually start out in a specific location (which I did), and next to Rus (which I did) and Fomoria ( which I did not). Instead I was stuck next to an existential threat that was quite vividly shown as such in the lucidtactics videos I watched on this nation.

Did anything happen? I havent had a chance to watch it, and wont till about 12 hrs from now.

I’d love to be able to tell you, but once again, my faithful scouts got sniped.

well, you can upload directly to the forum now, as long as the image is a reasonable size (<2mb i think). Typically i just do screenshot and then edit/crop in paint. If you really wanted to get fancy and spend no money, you could use gimp i suppose (i assume its still around, gimp was awesome for what you paid for it), but i rarely needed to edit my shots that much. Gimp was certainly better though when i was doing complex battle reports because they were often longer than one page and needed to be stitched together, and paint is not so good at that. Anyways, thanks for the details, i wish i’d have seen that one…

You guys seem to be having so much fun! I have no idea what’s happening, but all the Super Sekrit Codes are fun to read. :-)

I really should figure out how not to suck at D5. :-)

Why bother figuring that out? I’m playing, after all.

But you’re smarter than me!

I suppose no one can post a map of the current game state, because of fog of war and such?

Well, there are problems with posting a map of the current game status. See, you only see what your dominion and your scouts tell you. And one of the nations, Ubar, specializes in appearing as a “neutral” owner of the provinces, ie, one that has not been taken by another nation.

So if one of us were to post a map, it would only show whatever that nation can see in its borders, and whatever its scouts see. That would be a ton of info on that nation for others, and reveal to the others where the scouts are that created that information.

Three nations on this map have flying scouts - Pan with 25gold harpies, Caelum with 50 or so gold scouts, and Xibabla with 40 gold bat commanders. Pan can recruit them from any forest, not sure about Caelum, and Xibabla can recruit them from caves.

So if you want to really know, i would suggest quietly asking @Evil_Steve. I am confident that he would show you an extremely accurate map. I would even encourage you to share it on the forums with the rest of us, so we can …proof read it. Yeah.

UNPROVEN

Kolbex is in this game? I really need to pay more attention to things…

And, i’ve said this before, but almost all of Caelum’s scouts are the normal ground-pounding variety. Flying scouts can only come from caelum forts, and these are busy churning out…other…more important…things than scouts. One of my hopes for dominions 6 or 7 is an overlay filter which shows scouts…oh, that would be so sweet.

And Uber, as a nation, is just fucking annoying. I’ve given up expanding in his direction cause i have no idea if I’m expanding into his territory or not…hey, this looks neutral…

Wait’ll you find out what nation I’m playing!

heh, it would be true if i wasn’t such a lazy scout goat-man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euUGPQZoHw

At midnight by the old dock.

I must admit it’s a fun nation to play.

I have tried very hard to telegraph where my borders are. The communication model for this game has not always made this an easy task.

Recalling the fate of Ind and Na’Ba in the Balance game where they were the first nations knocked out, I have actively tried to cultivate firm borders with those who need to know where I am.

I’ve found in test games that the seduction/corruption mechanic just isn’t as powerful as one would think it should be. I’ve lost a LOT of gold in failed attempts. If I were ever to play this nation again, I would attempt to actually learn the mechanic and see what if anything I could do to make those units more effective. So…yes, that interesting stealthy part of the game is also pretty much off the table too.

this is gonna sound silly, but wait, was na’ba like that too? If so, that’s incredibly funny, because i had no idea…

Uf now its my turn to get 3 or 4 events that ruin my planssssss.