Dominions 5 - Born to be Van Wilder

My turn should be in soon, I won’t need extension, just working through assignments at the moment.

you clearly aren’t getting my mental telepathy imploring you to enter your turn so i don’t have to go to bed just yet. Oh well, guess i will just head to sleep then…

Yeah sorry, I had these two assignments that just left me mentally drained.

Anyway, turn went in, and I’m coming for Rus. The walls are breached and I’m ready to go…

's all good man. Just means i get to unwrap a new turn this morning instead. It’s like xmas!

I am also ready to go! This will be a big battle so for sure I am hyped to post screenshots.

[my secret hope is to win! but worst case I hope two units specifically do two things!]

The Good: Got my turn in, and got a scout in place to watch the fireworks.
The Bad: WTF, I am behind in research! ETHER LORDS!?!?!
The Ugly: Have you seen my scout imp?

Ether lord technology has existed in the realms for quite some time now. I’m more curious about the cost of them. I mean if you’re dropping 90 astral on a handful of ether lords, why aren’t you putting up some globals?

A 90 gem punt that would give a useful path no matter what. In this case, blood which means great utility in a communion for reasons.

Now I want to know what your two units were meant to do. I knew exactly what I needed to do, and I think my losses were pretty good.

Hey Rus, I can’t really recall what our formal relationship is - i believe we just agreed to a border, is that correct?

Ermor, not really related to that or anything really, but i’ve got some troops returning home stealthily through some of your new territories over the coming couple turns. It shouldn’t be a big deal, as i dont think you’ll find them, but just in case you do, it’s not a prelude to war or anything - you just moved very fast.

vs!

My plan was to rely on the bears delaying for a while as my fireballs and nature chaff cut away your weaker back line- with my main worry being the Cavalry.

Sadly with fire going well… your Fire Drakes decimated my bears as they tried to gum up your good cav.

So the delay…maaaybe worked a bit- but my offense idea really did not work. I probably should have gone more into thunder priests than the fire mages, but I was low on money for a while and thought to shore up with the Shapeshifters rather than pay 250g a turn for the Thunder Priests.

Well played :D and was a goood match for me!

I don’t mean this to sound like I’m better than what I am, but I could read your tactics when I was thinking about busting open the fort. There was a limited toolkit available to you, and I couldn’t imagine there’d be much in terms of battlefield wide spells you could use, especially with the magic skills of your mages. Even if you had fog warriors and/or mass flight, I don’t think it would have mattered.

The gate is always the killing ground so when I submitted the turn, I decided at last minute to move the Equites of Sacred Shroud to the front in order to push through the gate as fast as possible. I also knew the Draconians were lurking around, but I tend to have bodyguards for my mages now anyway. The gladiator units are great for that role. Little bit expensive, and once they face battle, they’re gone, so useless for long campaign. But when I gathered my forces for the push to the capital, I knew this would be it. The other reason for switching cav and my line infantry was also a result of the Draconians, to deal with attack rear orders. Why have my cav wasted on those units when they can tear through bears. So yeah, hope the mage casts fire resistance at the front, let the cav go to work and trust in my victory. Those skinshifters still do a lot of damage though. To lose about 20 cav with high protection is indicative of the power of those battleaxes.

Fire Drakes, I know why @Kelan loves them now. I never liked them myself, but they’ve done a lot for me in the game.

Oh yeah, I was also nursing a 3HP prophet too. I thought about sending him running back home :D

yeah I had a lot higher expectations of my fire mages, that low fire magic just doesnt really mean much(Learned that like 10 turns ago though).

The Fire Drakes for sure I need to look into, I also diddn’t think they sounded great but I should have summoned some myself!

Rus is a challenge I think. What do they do well? Were I you, I’d probably look at a nature bless with health regen. 19HP units transforming into 45HP bears, regenning 2 - 5 HP every turn if given a boost to health. Want a wall of flesh, there it is. But then there’s the gold cost, and I know full well how much I struggle with 45 gold cost Equites. So then there’s questions about magic research to afford mages, and with the cheapest being 125 gold and affording sacreds and everything else.

I went so far as to develop a quick Pretender that was S3, D5, N7, B3 - Major magic resistance, stygian flesh to offset their low protection, regeneration and +3HP. Could change the +3HP to bloodsurge for an extra point of blood. I don’t know. Bitch Queen chassis that turns into a crone with 4 magic item slots. I guess that is the beauty of Dominions, always options or different ways to play.

Yeah looking up general strats when I started they relied on national summons and used the Air Mages- but at 255 gold each its too expensive to go for them AND really anything else, so I went heavy into the sacred Axe dudes and thought the fire mages would be good enough(90g), but really F1N1 doesnt bring…much…to the table.

I will annoy you for probably 2 more turns with my tiny water army then go AI(or just get disintegrated by lack of land provinces/dominion).

I make no apologies for the luck that was at play with the remote assassination of the right commander.

Everyone - What is better, mechanical men or living statues? Asking for a friend…

Depends on what you want. The statues are better at absorbing punishment. The mechanical men deal it out better. They’re decent summonables.

I agree. I guess part of it too is the elemental resistance that Mechanical Men give, so when falling fires are littering the battlefield, they’ll stay alive then. Yeah, comparing the two, living statues seem to be the better choice all round, especially because they unlock faster (Ench 6 vs Construction 7) and have generally better stats. But those mechanical men can be thrown onto a front line systematically cutting a swathe through opposition lines, something Living Statues won’t do.

Hmmm.

i’d go with statues. Attack of 10 really doesnt thrill me

34 turns to go, and its pretty quiet. Well, except for the incessant scouts.

Oh, and if I have come to a special arrangement with you, can you please send me a message? My notes have been misplaced…or worse! I am FAIRLY certain I know what was written down, but since its getting on in the game, I do not want commit a faux pa.