Dominions 5 - Born to be Van Wilder

ya, the funny part about that was your spectre was paralyzed at the time. You’d think you wouldnt run away from something paralyzed, but then again, maybe thats the best time to run.

@dfs you ok? Need time?

Thanks for the delay. My oldest is in town for the first time since Covid and I got a little happy there forgetting other responsibilities.

caught up for a while.

that’s good to hear :)

Of course, np!

Onto gaming commentary: for the last year or so it’s been a pretty interesting cycle here in the last cold lands. It’s been pretty much, one really interesting month, followed by a rather…dull’s not the word, but remarkably less interesting round. And it’s been more interesting because I knew it would have this cycle, like this round i’m doing something cool, next round is sorta dull, but I know the month after is going to be bonkers!

Well, that cycle’s probably over now as we rise towards the steady rolling boil of the endgame. I’m losing the peaks of the really interesting months, but the troughs too, as the tempo of plans steps up a bit. Cataclysm is in about 3 years.

Despite shooting ourselves in the proverbial foot last month with a shudderingly stupid mistake (just a gem costly one, where you cast something that you think is going to do something and you realize that you totally dont understand this spell that much, and maybe you should pay more attention to the details. Yknow, maybe read it again real good.)

For anyone just playing along at home, there are three or four legitimate super-powers in the game. Caelum, Ermor, and Xibalba are the three I would rate for sure. Pan is probably there too, but its hard to say. On the one hand, they’re the smallest of the four, but on the other, they’re the only one other than Caelum with a global enchantment up, and it’s been up longer than Caelums has been. They also have an absurd amount of forts considering their size (4 or maybe even 5), so in theory, they could have pretty advanced research. Xibalba is fresh from consolidating the remains of Niefelheim, and has probably the largest continguous land mass. They have 2 capitals then, and a few other forts, so they could also have good research. Ermor has a mass of territory, but a bunch of it is spread into the less useful water provinces, of which they hold a virtual monopoly. They’re also fresh from the conquest of Rus, but they’ve been at real war for a while now, so perhaps their research isn’t what it could be? Caelum is nearly the size of Ermor, and the territories are mostly land, but it hasn’t taken any other capital and remains mostly aloof in its mountains.

I think this year will be a quiet one, but the real storm is coming. Should be fun!

Rus is being annoying persistent. Little spotfires here and there, but I think the final blow will come soon. And about time. My repeated remote attacks on the Rus capital have rendered it less than good from a gold and resource perspective, to be expected. Though foreign dominion is still rife which will impact everything.

From an Ermor perspective, I guess the hardest part is developing a means to protect large borders with small numbers of troops. Were this a regular game, Ermor can easily shunt out troops to secure things. But gold is always precious, and there is a transition to summons to bolster the lineup, but gems too are needed for other uses as well. I have a few plans underway that will take a couple of turns to develop, but I believe that no matter the outcome, this has been a good game by all. I’ve said from the start that even should I lose, and I find that a greater reality as I struggle to transition, I’m happy with how things fared from an Ermor perspective. This comment about the transition isn’t to throw anyone off and say “oh, he’s just saying that to cast a target on anyone else.” No, what I see is two flying nations that can dominate the map quickly while Ermor shuffles like, well, zombies. And alas, death gem income has been absolutely weak! But, again, plans are in motion.

You would have to be batty (groan) to think that my research is anywhere near Caelum, Pan, or Ermor. I had a significant number of mages in the struggle against Niefel, and of course a good chunk of my mages need to blood hunt. Those two issues have made me flit through the night in fear, as my echo location shows my neighbors casually throwing spells and summons around that I could only day dream of using.
No, my concern right now is getting my research back up to…something.

@pyrhic - at the time, I was very gold hungry, with a lot of provinces suffering from turmoil and such. Thats why I balked. Let me look at the terms again.

no need to look again, i did as you suggested.

Woops, weekend got away from me. Can i gets 24 ext? Apologies

done.

Ffffffuuuuuuuuu

I don’t understand. Haruspex - N2. Can only target friendly lands. I had it on autocast, and it was casted on a remaining Rus province. Surprise! Kelp Fortress. So now I have a second fort to siege down. Here’s the rundown of what happened:

Commander cast Haruspex.

Commander auto-selected the next friendly province.

I lost that same provice the same turn to remaining Rus troops.

Commander casts Haruspex and finds a convenient Kelp Fort just for the remaining Rus forces.

I lose my goddamn mind.

Bit of a bug for Illwinter I guess??

Hah! Dominions never ceases to surprise you!

Depending on the turn order, maybe it isn’t a bug, though? You have troops milling around in some lands and they have no idea where the fort would magically appear. The spell goes off and then Rus invades and wipes out your troops milling about the countryside. Rus looks around and admires the newly created fortress that just sprouted out of the ground!

I admit it sucks, though!

This game is quite surprising, thats for sure. It looks like Ubar will suffer a slow, agonizing death of one province a turn taken from him? Or at least thats what my scouts show.

And where have all the cow- Manticores gone?

Kind of surprised Rus AI had actual forces, unless you are underwater.

he is, and it was, lol. Besides, the above-ground kelp fortresses are quickly and readily dismantled for nori

Hey there Fomoria, just a little thing i saw, but did you notice your prophet is diseased and has only 3 more months to live? Plus he’s got a full kit of gear and no visible commanders with slots he can pass that off to before he expires. You might have enough time to get him back to a fort if you turn him around now, or you can send out another commander to meet up with him and exchange his stuff.

Yes, I think I’ll be able to make the trade, but I did notice that. Damned wells of pestilence! Just a silly, stupid thing that happened on the way to the forum.

Once again a large army on Ubar’s cap. And once again I wonder “what is the sense in all of this?”

Wow, talk about misunderstanding messages. @pyrhic , I thought you were talking gold, when you were talking province numbers.