Dominions 5: Multiplayer Warriors of the Feint - 2018 Stabby-Stabby Edition

That’s Guinness in the middle. Does that help?

I can’t tell who anyone is replying to in this thread.

I was replying to Ottthegreat.

Hmmm I’ll have to analyze this extra information carefully :)

Guinness looks pretty friendly at least.

Oh and that’s the pretender list from QT3Furies, probably should’ve been more clear on that.

@Hetzer , Therodos in Lizzies. You are hopefully aware you have about 6 hours left to submit your 2h file (the turn’s orders) to the llamaserver, right? After that the game will host without you. Which makes you have a _____ turn.

I believe the proper term for that condition is what happens to a Guiness when its left out on a table, getting warm and flat.

Yes, trying to be clever and failing. Because I need a beer…

Ah! It makes sense now.

FYI if you click Reply to the lower left of the post you want to reply to…

It will put a little note in the corner for people to see who you reply to and they can even click on it to go right to the message you replied to. It’s pretty handy!

EDIT - Another benefit is it alerts them that you replied to them. Replying to just the thread doesn’t do that.

because @Hetzer is new. i’ve added 12 hours as a one-off :)

I’m going to forget all my monkeys’ names!

For the new people, some DOM basics. Vets, feel free to add or expand on anything, and new ppl feel free to ask questions. I just figured that it’d be a good conversation point since we’re at about this point in the (lizzies) game now…

Basic NAP structures in DOM

NAPs or Non-aggression pacts, are standard Dominions agreements in the multiplayer game. NAPs can have different forms or limitations and the most common is probably the NAP3 - this means that both sides agree not to engage in aggressive actions against the other and that once cancelled, both sides must wait 3 turns until they begin to engage in actions against the other.

What constitutes ‘Aggressive actions’ can be debatable, and is probably worth a discussion if you’re unsure. Most would agree that passing scouts through a province is not an aggressive action. Spies, stealthed thugs and armies, and assassins are all…politically sensitive as they can all become aggressive. For instance, if i was playing eriu and parked 20 thugged out stealthed commanders across your empire that’s…maybe a little aggressive. Globals (mid/late game spells) can be even more grey - with some globals being considered an absolute and immediate breaking of a NAP agreement,

The important thing to think about in a NAP is probably ‘what does this get me’? I think a lot of beginning players look at NAPs as a bit of a safety blanket and indulge in them perhaps a little too much. You want to be sure with any NAP that you’re not limiting yourself too much as it’s possible to NAP yourself into too small a pocket to be viable. On the other hand, forming a NAP with a nation that would either destroy you (or engulf you in a war that would otherwise set you so far back that you might as well have lost) can be incredibly important and allow you to focus your war/expansion efforts in the area where they might be the most needed. The best NAPs give both parties something.

It’s also a pretty good idea to define zones of influence in any NAP so you both agree where you can expand. Otherwise, you run the danger of your armies running into each other. Sometimes this is easy because your provinces abut each other, but in other cases there may be many neutral provinces still available for the taking. My advice is to be as specific as possible, otherwise you can be looking at issues where both parties feel a particular province is in their sphere and that can get messy fast.

Note that in some games(but not all) contact with a nation is only allowed once you have discovered them (you can see at least one of their provinces on the game map).

@Baconsoda time is running out…

QT3Lizzies Pan turn 4 (or something)

Expansion is going well, and I’ve received my first offer of diplomacy. While I am eager to enact this one as it’s a very logical border, I am leery of over-NAPing myself, something I’ve done in previous games.

To my east lies Ur, and as they don’t seem to be expanding my way I’ve redirected my forces to take the forests on our borders, as they’re the largest clump of woods in the area. I’m planning on staying at least 1 province away from his capitol; he’s taken a nice town/field province and I think he’s letting me have those forests…what a nice guy!

I see C’tis to my west, and Sauromatia to the north, so will have to look at defining my borders there as well…

Ah, so you’re LittleMissPiggy!

QT3Lizzies, Kailasa

Fortunately, our monkeys know how to read and write at the 1st-grade level so we were able to sign (ie scribbled with a crayon) a NAP with our first encountered neighbor, a bunch of powerful human ladies leading human men by their nose-rings. The divine Monkey God will now divert his mighty army in other directions. Uh…if we can find another direction our monkeys can actually travel, that is…

Oh, Hi there neighbors! /waves at @Evil_Steve and @tylertoo!

Nope! But, I did just run into her!

squeeeel!

QT3Lizzies Pan turn 5-ish

Why, hello Ur! I had no idea you were there to my east! Fancy bumping into you like this! My, what a nice dragon you have there. Perhaps we should talk? I had a nice conversation with my other neighbor C’tis the other day, yes that was very nice. We could have a nice talk too!

More expansion this turn, and to cap it off I had a very nice message from C’tis asking for borders and perhaps a NAP. It turns out there’s a natural river border between us, and since I don’t have any amphibious/river crossing troops (and he does) it made sense to make the river our border. There was one exception though, a province adjacent to my capital directly across the river. To be safe I asked for that territory, which C’tis agreed to. I did offer to make that territory a demilitarized zone once I took it, to sweeten the pot for @AStott.

I do see Ur to the east, and there’s a nice throne between us. I set up a scout to peek at the Throne defenders, and I’ll see what’s there before deciding if I am going to try for an early Throne or not. I’m tempted to as it’s a Throne in a forest, which would be very nice for Pan! On the other hand, if I try to take it and fail then Ur could very well swoop in and clean up. Decisions decisions! I send some reinforcements from my capital to the area to give me some options…I’m worried that I’m leaving some neutral territories to my north too long but a throne in a short game is probably more important.

QT3Lizzes Ur

Well now, this map just got a lot tighter. Therodos, Iike I suspected, wanted some Cavemen as well. But my prophet and some hard hitting sacreds were a match for his ethereal troops. No doubt I will have to send him a message in game.

I see Pythium, and also the Hydras he is making. No doubt that is too take on the War Elephants occupying a rich farmland nearby. I will have to talk to him as well.

And hello Pan! I see that you love the forests, like Ur loves the swamps. I get to make special troops in there, just like you get cheap researchers and archers in that forest. Be careful with that throne, I see 140 Zulu types on it. I will have to send HIM a message as well.

Finally,to my south! Rus and Ctis, side by side. That will make for some interesting hot and cold interactions. Time to send in the scouts, and talk to both of them.

In other news, I am rapidly approaching the time I need to start another castle. But mine cost 750 gold. And I have a lot of neighbors with itchy trigger fingers. Best wait and build up a bit more.

QT3Furies: Fomoria

Well LittleMissPiggy (E6N6, E&N protection buffs) was all up for some truffle action, but I have to say this is a really tight start for the squealer, and expansion has been a mite conservative. Mictlan is just over the river, and there’s two thrones in the immediate area along with a swamp commanded by a Grotesque.

“Well they were very…tight.
Tight?
Yes, you could see quite clearly. . .
Oh I see.
Everything. Outlines. The lot.
Oh. Yes thank you.
Clear as day.
Thank you very much.
Nothing left to the imagination.”

And here, i didn’t even think Pythia existed yet in this timeline…

Kailasa, Lizzies Turn 7(?)

The mighty monkey army shambled into an independent province from the north and conquered it swiftly with few losses. Before they could even break out the victory bananas a large army of huge, horned men in bronze armor appeared suddenly over a rise to the south. They began clanging massive bronze axes on long shields and behind them rose a giant scaled wingless dragon, its horny head towering over the large beast-men. The presence of the dragon sent the bronze men into a wild frenzy and suddenly they all began to glow slightly, a blessing from their god! And then they charged…

The great army of the Monkey God was certainly surprised by the invaders but rallied quickly and formed ranks. They met the charge of the giant wild men in bronze and their dragon bravely, our own sacred warriors of Mt Kailasa taking the brunt of the impact. Men, ape and beast clashed with falchion, foot, axe, tooth and claw and many fell on both sides but eventually the invaders turned and fled back the way they had come.

The monkey armed finally had their victory bananas but they were bittersweet.

So yeah, this was an “accident”. Both Ur and I moved fairly large and expensive armies into the same province. Losses were heavy and about even on both sides. Now it’s time for diplomacy.

Sorry about the Curse and Horror Mark on your dragon. If it’s any consolation, my new 4-armed Hero commander that joined me last turn now has a limp.