Dominions 5: Multiplayer Warriors of the Feint - 2018 Stabby-Stabby Edition

Something I discovered a few turns ago.
N lets you cycle through all your leaders that aren’t doing anything. Very Nice, but that includes Stealth units that are in key locations that you don’t want doing anything. So, you end up cycling through a lot of guys that you don’t want to.

BUT, if you use the hot key Shift W on a stealthed unit, instead of hiding, it does Hide and Wait. It now counts as doing something, and you no longer have to key through them when pressing W. The command stays until you change it!

Thank you so much.

It does make it all a bit easier.

Oh nice! That really is useful.

And just a heads-up, but I’ll be out of town and without a computer from Thursday the 10th until Monday the 21st. Nothing fun, sadly.

Shit. No computer at all? We can put the game on hold, or we could have a team mate cover for the time you are out. What’s your preference?

None at all. If someone’s willing to take over for a few turns may as well keep the game moving along.

I’m okay with finding a temp replacement, or if no one has objections, having a team member do it. Any takers?

Holy shit how you were playing Dominions without knowing that! :P

Joking, but only at the same time also being half serious: the game issues with modern graphical UI and micro is known to everyone. The ‘trick’ to at least alleviate these issues is to use extensively all the available hotkeys, I say trick because while they don’t improve the UI, at least improve the user experience by bypassing the need to use the UI altogether. Press ? in ALL possible screens to see the shortcuts for each one.

Except, Hide and Wait isn’t on the list.

Isn’t it? oh damn.

edit: It kind of is there:

W is ‘wait’ order for everyone, hide & wait is just a variation for stealth unit. In reality it isn’t even a real variation, it’s really the same with another name, to clarify they don’t lose stealth.

It makes sense for me that a hidden stealth unit will still be hidden while doing a ‘wait’ order, imo. They only revel themselves when attack.

Nope.

Actual, they reveal themselves if you put down defend as well (which is the same as attack I guess.

Anyway, wait isn’t an option in the drop down for leaders that are stealthed leaders, so how would people know that it is an option to begin with?

As always, Dominions is a great game that has and always will be tragically flawed. Whether it’s the lack of decent pretender options, the UI, or the horrible lack of balance. At least Dominions 3 had CBM.

I’ve certainly found it much more enjoyable after using the hotkeys. (Sadly this doesn’t bypass the entire UI experience.)

Lack of decent pretender options?
Lack of balance?

Sure. The rules are simple. If a Drakon is available, take it. It’s underpriced, super efficient and kills.

No Drakon, take the Thrice Horned Boar.

And almost never ever ever take a Titan (well, there are like 3 titans that are worth while).

Are you saying there is a market for another one? I agree the balance is quite off since they integrated their new system, but it wouldn’t take too much tweaking to give all pretenders chassis a chance to shine.

(Disclaimer: I was the author of CBM.)

There are a few balance mods running around. General Confusion did a video of one that seemed to make the fewest changes to bring balance.

I think CBM was fantastic in it’s day, but, Dominions 4 and 5 has often seemed to go in a different direction from CBM. Or so it seems.

No Zmeys, no awesome final summons, and it seems that Dominions these days has made gold cost troops and leaders better compared to summons, at least compared to Dominions 3.

Outside of Blood there is a definite lack of summons that feel worth their gem cost/mage time.

As I said, there are two mods going around. DE, which is just CBM plus everything else possible, including the kitchen sink. I don’t like how they ‘fixed’ jomon, breaking the monks into 6 or so separate monks. It doesn’t seem right.

CBM (I know, they stole your name) seems a bit less intrusive. I didn’t even know about it until General Confusion put out a video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOAqp_gswUI.

Here is a link.
https://steamcommunity.com/app/722060/discussions/2/1750106661704000669/

At this moment, the rumor is that a patch is on the way, and it will at least try to address Pretender Chasses. If that works out, I’ll stick to the base game a little longer, but if not, I might jump to CBM. Especially since they have nerfed Ashdod and Pangea a bit, two of the biggest contenders for over powered units or sacred.

Anyways, thank you for the work on CBM. When I created my MA Jomon Mod, me and my coauthor really tried to balance it with CBM at the time.

On the discord, people suggested checking out Crtl T - It opens up the army screen of only the forces highlighted.