Dominions 5: Multiplayer Warriors of the Feint - 2018 Stabby-Stabby Edition

Do we still want to use Biddyn for the map? It is 81 land + 9 water provinces, which won’t leave much room (10 land/nation). I am okay with that, but if you get a throne and/or some heavy cav near you to start, you won’t have many expansion options at the beginning.

Peliwyr may not be bad at 129 land + 17 water. This would give a water nation a better chance too, although Therodos doesn’t appear to be heavily reliant on living under water.

I am a little confused on how the Cataclysm works. From the manual:

Cataclysm
This is a way to force the game to end after a certain number
of turns. The Cataclysm will cause horrors to appear and start
destroying Thrones of Ascension. (These are powerful horrors.) Every Throne destroyed also reduces
the number of Ascension points required, so a winner should appear
shortly after the Cataclysm begins. In the unlikely event that
no one owns a Throne as the last ones are destroyed, the horrors win.

When the horrors appears, can you battle and defeat them? Or does the horror automatically destroy the throne? If you can’t defend, it would lean toward giving the game to the person who has the best luck (who doesn’t have their throne destroyed first). If there is a battle, then it is fair to an extent. Also, if we do 8 level 2 thrones (16 victory points possible), after each throne is destroyed, the victory points required will also go down, it seems. So, if we decided on half the thrones, then as they get destroyed, it would give someone a chance to hold the last one or two to win the game at the end, otherwise the horrors will eventually take them all and nobody will win (if the victory condition is too hard to achieve), or the last lucky person holding the last throne will win by default.

Just some thoughts and questions to consider. I am just trying to understand how it works.

don’t know, let’s play and find out!

Akaoni will take UUURRR.

And I agree Peliwyr will be better, and that horrors on 40 or 50 will be interesting, and that we should play and find out.

Sounds good here. I am on turn 10 in my test game with the same settings ;).

Age: Early Map: Biddyn (i’m resisting the larger map for a short highly interactive game?)

Provinces: 1
Independents: 5
magic sites: 70? any more?
Money, Resource, Supply: 100
events = rare
score graphs = enabled
Hall of Fame = 15
Enchantment slots = 7
Unique forging = limited
Random start research/Research rate normal
Thrones of Ascension = 8 level 2 (16 points), with 8 points to win?/ Apocalypse = 50
Renaming allowed

Oh and I’m Formoria

I am okay with that too. Ready to go! (although I know we need to wait a bit)

70 or higher for sites, combined with a short game, might encourage more lower end summons. So maybe higher.

ok, i’ve got to work today, but should have this up tonight oztime. feel free to to continue offering suggests

Turn score graphs off. It ends up being an intel tool that IMO takes away from some of the decision making and requirement to recce properly.

I agree about score graphs.

We had a score graphs debate in a separate game. In the end, the other group decided this first Dom 5 game was primarily a learning experience and we left them on so we can all observe how things are working. (We had them off in our earlier serious Dom 3 and 4 games.)

Your mileage may vary. :-)

i’m happy to switch graphs off, just thought it might be good for noobs (which is, in a sense, all of us), but it can go both ways, of course

ok everyone, games are up (QT3Furies/QT3Lizzies) so you can email in your pretenders.

Diplo is in this thread, through QT3 PMs, or in-game

good luck one and all.

i’ll need a vollie for each game on US or Euro time to handle extension requests in case I’m snoozing

:)

For reference:

GAME 1 - Furies [Early Age]

tgb123 [Ermor]
evil steve [Formoria]
Kelan [Mictlan]
sharaleo [Machaka]
Otthegreat [Xibalba]
Belouski [Pan]
tylertoo [C’tis]
Baconsoda [Tien Chi]

GAME 2 - Lizzies [Early Age]

Hetzer [Teredos]
Scott_Lufkin [Rus]
BotBaddict [Pan]
pyrhic [Sauromatia]
AStott [C’tis]
Brooski [Niefelheim]
Guildboss [Kailasa]
Akaoni [Ur]

Being new to this whole Dom thing, let alone multi player, where do I email my pretender? And how do I actually log into the game to play?

I saw the link to the llamaserver in the other thread, but no way to upload anything or actually play.

Righto!

Create your Pretender. In-game, go to ‘Game Tools’ and open user data directory. It will be something like:

C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\Dominions5

There will be a savedgames folder which will contain a ‘newlords’ folder, which is where all your pretender files for all games are saved. Find the *.2h pretender file that matches your nation and era. Make sure you choose the right one if you have been playing test games, or delete all your test games first. ie:

Email that *.2h file to pretenders @llamaserver.net, using the name of the game as the subject header (QT3Furies or QT3Lizzies in this case)

You should recieve an acknowledgement if everything went fine.

When the game starts, you will receive *.trn files from llamaserver. Create a folder in your Dom5 savegames folder matching the game name (again QT3Furies or QT3Lizzies) and save the *.trn file to that folder.

When you launch Dom5 hit “Continue Old Game” and you will see the game in the list and be able to play the current turn.

Once you complete your turn, hit End Turn as normal. The game will create a *.2h file in the save game folder.

Email this file to turns @llamaserver.net, no subject header necessary, llamaserver will know from the contents of the 2h file what to do with it.

Rinse repeat. Do youself a favour and manually rename all you old *.trn files so you don’t overwrite them and can go back in time to review stuff. You will end up with something like this in the folder:

So to recap:

• Create Pretender
  • Email Pretender *.2h file to pretenders @llamaserver.net with game name as subject header
  • Create savegame folder
  • Save incoming *.trn files to savegame folder
  • play turn
  • Email created *.2h file in savegame folder to turns @llamaserver.net
  • Rename *.trn files to keep a record

It’s a bit manual, but to the best of my knowledge, nobody has knocked together an automation tool/script/front end to manage it. Kinda surprises me given the Dom community, but it’s beyond my level of expertise.

Edit - for the record, I don’t explicitly keep a copy of all my generated *.2h files, since it is less common for me to want to review my orders, vs general world intel/battle replays. YMMV either way, you will always have a copy of trn and 2h files in your email anyway, presuming you don’t clear them there.

Beat by @sharaleo!

But, still some useful info here (especially the 2nd post on how to play a game):

http://z7.invisionfree.com/Dom3mods/index.php?showtopic=3578

This is for Dom4, but almost surely the same for Dom5.

Thanks Kelan, I forgot to link the Llamaserver FAQ, but knew I was on the clock to ninja any other vets! :P

Thanks, guys