Dominions 5 - Pretender to the Throne!

Not unless you lose the province.

But, you do get access to the Mages of Summer now.

But, it should just increase your domain heat by 1. Keep in mind though that winter has ended, so the world is naturally warming.

Are they any better than my nation’s mages? Plus, I’d need to build a lab there to recruit them. My moneys are already so precious!

You need a lab, but if you don’t have access to Fire 2, or Nature 1, they are neat.

And you don’t need a castle, so, 500 gold, and you can start throwing them out.

And of course, you get a gem income.

Does the +1 heat trigger each turn regardless of whether or not someone has claimed that throne? I ask, because I was wondering why that province and the surrounding ones had heat scales so early on (when I’m cold 2).

It will trigger heat events, but they should be sporadic. It should modify your global Domain score to Cold 1, if you pretender had Cold 2 scales. The average temperature currently should be Neutral, last turn it was Cold 1, so everyone’s temperature should have gone up 1 this month.

Well poo…

https://illwiki.com/dom5/bogarus-la

Oh, Bogarus prefers cold 2.

Yeah, I thought Bogarus preferred Cold 1 and you had grab an extra cold scale (a single cold or heat scale can be countered by extra growth/production/order for more gold overall).

I need to hire a throne relocation contractor.

Well you might get a Throne of Winter!

So i’d like to vote on a restart, and my vote is yes.

The game is clearly divided between the haves (Arcos, Patala,C’tis) and the havenots (everyone else). For example, Ctis and I have more neutral territory to divide (between us) than bogarus has available to him, and that’s if he can even expand and capture all the neutral territories available to him. The haves all have at least 2 forts up, and are all likely working on a third or fourth. I could go on, but i think it’s pretty obvious…

I just think it’d be more fun for all if we just redo. So that’s my vote.

I’ll go along with whatever, but I’m clearly a have not and yet I don’t mind getting stomped and just moving on to another game. I’m learning!

I am fine with that. I certainly see Bogarus having a real rough go at it. And Vaeti. Not sure about Atlantis

I’ve got really good scouting. You and I are about the same, you might even be larger, but i don’t have good view on your west yet. Ctis is a little bit smaller than us, i think, but only by a couple provinces. Atlantis at least has a basis out of which he can expand a bit, but Vaett has less available and bogarus, practically nothing at all.

I am frankly astonished that there are players in this game doing worse than I am.

As a non-water nation, I can’t say I’m a fan of being placed on a 6-province peninsula with only two land route exits. Are there more balanced maps than this one?

Personally, i think the map’s fine, i’ts just some bad luck. And as a cold nation, getting across rivers should be second nature for you - of course, hitting that summer throne was a huge problem for that

Yeah, you have to hit those bridges as soon as possible.

Also, it almost always come out ahead if you trade 1 temp scale for a growth scale. Unless you are heat/cold 3.

let’s get @Evil_Steve and @dfs to chime in here, so far, sounds like 3 are agreeable/yes

i’m happy either way :)

I like my start, but there’s no point in playing dominions if players aren’t having fun. I’m not against a restart. The first 15 turns go by so quickly. It’s been 9 days. If multiple players (particularly new-ish players) are unhappy, I won’t mind a restart. It will give me more time to think about an end-game.

In test games I landed in one of two locations over and over and over again. Don’t you know the real game put me someplace else.

I’m guessing @Mysterio got put down by 31. Yeah, get to the bridges. The bless/pretender system is different, but the nuts and bolts of the game haven’t changed that much. I have found some things that used to work well have been nerfed, so, look out for that, but for the most part it’s just a matter of getting into the rhythm of submitting turns. Frankly getting back into it directly in front of Covid turned out to be a blessing for me.

Oh…and @Kolbex . Do not discount that sacred unit in your expansion army. I know…there’s no shield. boo-hoo. They are very cost effective troops even without much of a bless (although you do want to send a sacred unit to give them even the vanilla bless.) The ice guard are fantastic when you’ve spread your dominion, but that takes time and during expansion, you don’t have time.