Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith

I think it would work even better in a grand strategy game, because the turn scales are presumably longer, a week or a month. Lotta things can happen in a week or month! Some of the AGEOD games straddle the line between operational and strategic, don’t they?

In my opinion the great strength of WEGO is the ability to surprise the player, to force them to confront situations they did not anticipate and probably could not have. In this respect I don’t think Into the Breach truly counts because there is no fog of war: you know precisely what the other side is going to do and when.

Another mechanic that I am extremely fond of is some kind of limitation on what the player can do each turn, since after all in a real situation attention is limited, as the ability of the command chain to process orders. This systems like that in Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm or the more recent Old World that restrict the player to a certain number of moves appeal to me a great deal.

Yet another mechanic dear to my heart, though I can’t immediately see how it would apply here, is one where order delay is modeled in the system. Off the top of my head I can think of three examples: Command Ops 2 and Campaigns on the Danube (which is a true masterpiece of fog of war implementation) on the computer, where the mechanics of it are understandably opaque, and in the tabletop sphere Redvers’ Reverse, where it is more transparent.

Also if this is a wishlist, something like the semi-King of Dragon Pass personality system in Decisive Campaigns: Barbarossa would be just swell. Shadow Empire makes a pass at it but it’s nowhere near as well done in that game, which is probably because it was largely Cameron Harris’s work, as I understand it. Too bad because in every other respect I’d rather play Shadow Empire.