Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith

I made a few CoE videos in the past so I’ve been gifted a Steam code for Dom5. My subscriber base won’t be too keen on Dom5 but I’ll probably make at least one video to help spread the word, maybe even net a few sales for illwinter. In the meantime, here’s a short video of the credits with an astounding background track that gets the heart pumping:

Oh good, been waiting for YouTube videos to start popping up, will definitely give any videos you want to put up a watch.

Am I the only one who kind of wishes this series would get a major graphical overhaul? I know it’s a pretty niche game and it isn’t about the graphics, but I feel like there is a happy middle ground between what I’ll generously describe as “functional, quirky and retro” and Total War Warhammer 2. I realize even asking probably makes me a bad strategy fan, it’s just that this will be my 3rd Dominions release (I didn’t get on board till Dominions 2) and I’ve felt like a jerk for kind of hoping they’ll step up the graphics game each time.

I’m sure there are dozens of you. Dozens!

Almost everyone?

Alas, it’s a wish that will never get fulfilled. Illwinter is clearly not interested in being a normal game company.

Dominions soundtrack has always been fucking amazing.

I’ll ruin the party a bit by saying that while the credit song is less traumatising than whatever was used for the teaser video, I was longing for something more Dråmatic.

It’s the same, though in the trailer it starts near the middle.

In any case, new spell:
Asphodel only, N4D2, Enchantment 4.

Troop composition has some variation, but seems to be 31 manikins troops. They stay around after battle. Spell also causes +10 unrest and kills 110-130 pop (at least for small/moderate sized forest provinces

Enkidu Elder lost the ability to use line formations, but gained PD organizer 1 and tax collector. Eunuch went from PD organizer 1 to 2.

Owning a province reveals names of province 1/2/3 steps away in EA/MA/LA. Makes finding capitals in LA significantly easier on small maps

Youtuber compares Dom4 & Dom5:

and starts an AAR

How dare you, Das is no ordinary YouTuber, he’s the best.

DasTactic is doing the official Dominions 5 video guide.

Awesome!

He plays an awful lot of Dom 4 and DF. A really nice guy too.

Looking at all those improvements in motion, it looks like this is going to be yet another day-1 purchase of a game I will never play multiplayer, just like all the other games in the series!

With our Dom 4 MP game completed, I really wish Dom 5 was available this holiday morning.

There’s a Dominions 5?! That’s a pleasant surprise, this will almost definitely get me back into MP.

The real time battles are a good change I think, but it’ll be a while before I speed them up at all. It’s a lot going on all at once.

Das’s 6-part series started, worth checking out of this will be your first Dominions game, or if you need a refresher and haven’t been following the changes coming with the new version.

Manual is done. DasTactic has a set of five intro videos to ease new players into the game. Release tomorrow!

Very nice Bruce! I’m looking forward to reading it. Maybe even more so than playing the game… ;)

I see the Illwinter docs page has the manual link up, but currently gives 404 - I may or may not be F5ing this page for the next 23 hours.

Beginner videos are good and Das is well regarded, but for my tastes his stuff is too slow and waffley/unfocused, and these seem to fall into that template too. It’s been demonstrated that training videos should be under 10 minutes to better engage viewers, ideally closer to 6. Paradox’s HoI IV beginner series* did this well. Each is tightly scripted and finished teaching a concept while Das is still doing his intro. ;)

*here for interested parties

Yeah, it’s better than nothing but I would have done the videos in a different way. Don’t cram 25 minutes of talking half a dozen concepts that can result a bit abstract because you are still outside of a real game. Chances are people will get bored or confused upon reaching the middle point of the first video.

A tutorial should start with the basics. Skip the pretender creation, and go directly to the map. The map is divided in provinces, you recruit units, you move them as an army to another province to conquest it, you make a new fort to recruit even more units, repeat.
After that, basic army setup, and basic magic (build a lab, script a pair of spells, research, site search). And after that, you explain the bless spell and the effect in sacred units.

Once you have explained all that is then when you ‘go back to the beginning’ and show the Pretender creation, explaining the dominion, scales and blesses.