Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith

And new national spells:

• two that weren’t working fine in the Inspector:
    Herd of Buffalos (Ur, Uruk, maybe more)
    Mirror of Earths Memories (remote site search for Agharta in caves)

Nice. End of Culture I have used before, but the rest look new. Same with the Jade Mask; that was there before, but maybe it didn’t used to have the national flag.

It’s a different spell, using the same name.

Now it’s a global spell, that doubles the freespawn gained by Yomi.

Oh! Nice!

Pretenders and disciples in dom 5 are auto-blessed in their dominion, but cannot be blessed outside their dominion.

I don’t see that mentioned in the manual under bless or dominion effects. Is it still true that sacred units are auto blessed if in the same army as the pretender? I don’t see that mentioned in the manual either. The manual does say that pretenders are not sacred and can’t be blessed, so I’m confused.

It will be! Manual is still being updated. When it is ready, it will be available for printing on Lulu with all the unit stats and spells, etc.

Sacred units should be blessed on the same battlefield as the pretender, regardless of whether or not they are in the same army or even came from the same province. EDIT: This must be in their own dominion, however, just like the pretender.

Is there a way to highlight where all commanders on the map? I see little troop icons in various provinces, but I can’t tell which provinces contain commanders and which don’t. I know I can right-click on a province to see the commanders there, or use the N key to cycle through commanders, or look at a list of commanders using F1 – but I’d like a “big picture” view of which commanders are where. Maybe I’m missing something?

[F1] will give you your overview screen.

No, you aren’t missing anything. The game UI is lacking like that.

For example in the F1 screen you should be able to go to the recruit screen of every province (right click?) but you can’t.

One thing I didn’t realize until right now is that in the army setup screen you no longer need to exit out of a squad’s battle position to select a different squad - just right-click on the red box of the squad you want to select.

Good tip about squad selection, Brooksi; thanks.

I won my first game! OK, it was one-on-one vs the easy AI, and the map setup unfairly favored me. I was Machaka against R’yleh, and all the thrones were above-ground, while R’yleh’s territory was all underwater at first. Still, it was a good learning game for me. I experimented with spells, crafting, summoning, battle formations, etc. I enjoyed watching the ebb and flow of my “heat” scale, especially as the thrones I occupied all seemed to induce cold. Anyway, I won in early spring of year 4.

So, time to increase the AI difficulty. I might still spring for a small map one-vs-one. Also, I used east-west wraparound, but that feature annoyed me the whole game; on a tiny map, east and west duplicated themselves on either side of my screen. I think this time I’ll try not wrapping around.

5.07 update

MA Man (LA too? no idea) has access to N1 spells to do the communion master/slave. In the Thaum school.

5.08 is out, which I think was a hotfix for the supply bug. Also, there will be a printable manual available from Lulu soon.

I was on this show with Troy, Michael, and Jon to talk about this game.

5.09 Patch Notes

General

• Draw affliction and temp effects on square unit selection
  • 1-6 to switch between units in square unit selection
  • Nation overview details show recruitment list
  • Water amount setting for quick random maps
  • Poison damage does not awaken sleeping targets
  • d -> q for Clear all orders
  • New graphics for bog beast poison spit and frost arrows
  • New graphics for some spell effects
  • Frost Bow didn’t work
  • New message for The World has Fallen
  • Print “Current Map move with units” in stats
  • Show army map move in com stats
  • c = select crippled
  • l = select limping
  • New wish
  • Fix for pretenders with too long names
  • Stat fixes

Modding

• New mod commands: #mapteleport, #blink, #bringeroffortune, #combatcaster
  • New nation/site commands: #wallcom, #wallunit, #wallmult, #uwwall
  • Modding: #domunrest now 0.1 point per value*dominion
  • Icon for XP promotion

I came too late! I was going to post it. The “Poison damage does not awaken sleeping targets” is so typical Illwinter.

New nations coming:

Mekone (EA) - Phlegra (MA) - Phlegra (LA): Greek giants with increased monstrosity. EA large heroic hoplites, MA more bestial lestrigones, LA huge horrible serpentlegged gigantes.

I find interesting they become more monstrous as ages happens, it’s a nice inversion from how Dominions work usually: in EA magic and monsters are common and as time happens magic fades and humans dominate.

Tom got his, live on his stream, from his neighbour’s hands. There may have been unboxing. Can’t wait for it to be available!

It also sounds like an inversion of how is perceived, at least here, Greek mythology, as I was associating those monstruosities more with Titans. Or maybe they got out of Tartaros! In any case, really looking forward to exploring it.

The manual is up on Lulu.

http://www.lulu.com/shop/bruce-geryk/dominions-5-color/paperback/product-23460025.html