Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith

You should buy Dom 5, if only to support Illwinter so they can keep updating it. :)

Unfortunately I don’t have enough money to buy just to support. I’m sure I’ll get it, but probably not a full price buy for me. That said, I do change my mind fairly often :-)

No, stay strong. I have purchased the last two games, one at the full 60 dollar price point. This one I am taking a break from. I will revisit it after it goes on sale

The first three ones of the tutorial series do a good job of showing important aspects, although I am guessing you may be familair with most of those.
The last three ones feel improvised and quite messy, and Das eventually gets carried out into let’s play mode, making the videos of little relevance if you are into explanations of the systems of the game.

I think the real-time battles in Dom5 make a big difference, and for me would be the biggest reason to play it over Dom4. The ability to choose individual bless effects is nice but might be overwhelming at first for new players. There are, as always, a bunch of interface improvements, my favorite of which is the ability to switch squads in the Army Setup screen just by right-clicking on one. Each game is better than the last, I think. The hardest thing for me to handle was the radical switch from a very commander-centric Dom2 to the more army-focused Dom3. I didn’t like it at first, but I think it was the right move. The subsequent games have continued the Dom3 focus.

As for buying it to support Illwinter, I think the new release has done very well for them already. My impression is that Johan and Kristoffer will keep returning to this game to improve and tweak it because they are imaginatively invested in it, which is something I think I said on the podcast @robc04 referred to. There are already rumblings of new nations as Kristoffer’s imagination goes into overdrive. Like I said on that podcast, you have two intelligent, imaginative, creative guys iterating a universe that they have been thinking about for 21 years. You can’t duplicate that. That’s why Dominions is so unique.

I’m sure Johan and Kristoffer wouldn’t want people to spend money on their game that they don’t have, so don’t jump into anything you’re not comfortable with. But the game will be there when you’re ready!

@Brooski can you link the podcast? my searchfu has proved quite weaksauce

Here’s the podcast.

The printed manual is proofread and ready for sale.
http://www.lulu.com/shop/bruce-geryk/dominions-5-color/paperback/product-23484953.html

I started looking at the pdf manual and I have to say I’m going to miss Bruce’s tutorial. Video’s are fine and all, but I really enjoyed reading his words and following along in the game. I guess that is a sign of my age, but I actually found it fun. The Dominons 4 manual is my favorite that I have ever read. Reading it actually contributed towards the building excitement of playing the game.

I learned Dom 3 by reading and playing the very well done step-by-step tutorial. I just looked up the manual again and had some pleasant memories reading parts of it. The short history / bestiary anecdotes were fun. Thanks for bringing this fine world to life, Bruce, I have enjoyed it for years and shared it with many others.

Yep, me too. Followed the Dom3 tutorial then jumped straight into a MP game here. Good times!

if I wanted to learn Dominions 5, what is the best way?

Probably watching YouTube videos that are aimed at showing how the game works and the like, honestly. That’s how I tend to learn games like this, at least.

Watch the youtube videos linked above, these ones:

Primer

Guide Video 1 (of 5, watch all)

Finally read the manual

Or watch some full games, I recommend Tokshen videos

Thank you!!

I played about an hour of Dom 4 today, just to see (I don’t remember why I had it, but I did and had 1 minute played) - the game has changed a lot since Dom 2! I’m watching the videos, but how big a difference does Dom 5 feel over Dom 4?

Other than UI. That’s a lot better just from videos/screenshots

The UI. Oh, oops.
The battles are a lot less time consuming and more interesting to look at. Also, the simultaneity makes them more understable, to me (I couldn’t quite compute the timing at which things were happening before). I feel like I have a better grasp over them, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you if it is based on perception, or mechanics.
I also only play single player because I am a cryptozoologist, not a theologist.

You have a summary here

I’m far from an expert and in Dom 5 have been spending my time reading the manual while poking around screens. To me the map is more readable in displaying information, clarity, and attractiveness. The UI seems a little more tidy in places.Other people have mentioned the battles already.

I don’t know if the person would want me to say their name, but a generous person sent me a key for the game. So awesome of them and I appreciate it!

The revamped bless system, the simultaneous movement during tactical combat, the removal of roads and fortress improvements, and especially the introduction of recruitment points, all make Dom5 appreciably different. I would get Dom5 for all this plus the interface improvements.