Dominions 5: Warriors of the Faith

-Sparta inspired nation.
-They don’t have sacred units.
-The human units are slaves, but can promote to a different (freed?) unit, with a new ability.

-Lots of units with formation fighter, even 8g slaves.
-Naked Olympic disc throwers in battle, lol.
-New ability, skirmishers:

-Gigantes have magical weapons (but without any special effect)
-Several inquisitors, and most commanders also have taskmaster.
-Their most expensive commander is a 330g cyclops with Master Smith 1, Resource bonus 25, F2A1E2 + ?1.

Someone is going to have to research how the unrest thing work in Mekone.

The more human slaves you have, the more unrest suffer you forted provinces?
I think some giant commanders can lower the unrest with their presence, even if they don’t have any visible ability for it, because I saw some unrest drops with no associated event.
On late summer, there is an annual ritual that has to be done, the krypteon, if you don’t have an Ephor in your forts, you suffer an event with ~+14 unrest. if you have him, you have another event on fall where you can lose ~300 populatin but all unrest is eliminated.

If you think about it, this gameplay mechanic represents a fairly disgusting evil nation, even for Dominions standards. They are giant nazis that purge their nation of non-giants regularly in an ritualized way. But it’s also cool because in a way represents religion/ritual/cultural/ethnic issues in a game that usually is played by recruiting pixelmens and throwing them into the blender of battle.

How do you do this?

If you give a caster a gem, then go and script a spell to cast in battle, you will see you can cast a few spells that usually are outside his normal capacity (they appear on the list as normal, instead of in red text, as usually happens when you select a inappropriate spell).

What I meant was the first part – how do you give the caster a gem?

They need to be in a province with a lab and then you can give it to them - I think.

Inside a commander detail unit page, you click on the slots for the gems (on the right side of their magical inventory), then you will have a new window to transfer gems from your treasury to your inventory.

From a lab if there is one in the province, or from another commander present in the province. Scouts and indie recruit commanders are often used to ferry armies, magic items and gems and slaves around to get them where they need to be.

Thanks folks. That explains it.

Is there an enchantment or magic item that would grant my Neifelheim giant units flying? I can use boots for commanders, but I’d like to get my sacred giants flying around too. Flying carpets are super inefficient.

For battles, you have Mass Flight.

If you want flight in the strategic map, you can use the Air bless for it, I think, but only for holy units. Or use the ‘Flying Ship’, which is a higher level version of the flying carpet.

In general, this is the big difference with the classic Master of Magic, imo, you can’t do permanent enchants to normal units.

Thanks, those were my conclusions too. The Construction 8 Flying Ship is really the only thing. The Air bless lets you move farther on the map, but doesn’t let you fly over stuff, unfortunately.

Flight on the strategic map is extremely powerful, so it’s permanence tends to be gated behind nation traits, where it is also otherwise balanced. Every other nation can only get a limited taste via a few items and spells as discussed.

You can also use communions on the battefield to boost the communion master(s) existing paths. Communions are limited to mages that have Astral or Blood, but you can also give a mage a Crystal Matrix and make them a master even if they don’t have the paths above, or if you don’t want to waste a round casting Communion Master.

I miss reverse communions, but agree they were quite overpowered!

What does everyone do if they’re playing a land race and have to go into the ocean?

Quick answer:

Use undead, Sea Trolls, mercs like Shipwreckers or Ichtyids to gain a foothold, waterbreathing items on powerful commanders, or hiring water capable troops on shore provinces that show up at times like shamblers or mermen.

Ooooooo, OK! Thanks! I didn’t think about shoreline places having aquatic troops!

Yeah, not all of them do, but keep an eye out for them. Also, taking an Ichtyid provinces should always allow you to recruit them after, I believe.

Once you get a sea province or two with the summons/mercs/a thug or whatever, you can try build a fort underwater and start recruiting native aquatic units there, making the rest of the sea conquest easier.

But usually sea<->land dynamics are a pain in the ass.

I have been noticing this!