Don't Ask, Don't Tell meets the first kiss on the pier

Awwwwwwww.

A Navy tradition caught up with the repeal of the U.S. military’s “don’t ask, don’t tell” rule on Wednesday when two women sailors became the first to share the coveted “first kiss” on the pier after one of them returned from 80 days at sea.

Petty Officer 2nd Class Marissa Gaeta of Placerville, Calif., descended from the USS Oak Hill amphibious landing ship and shared a quick kiss in the rain with her partner, Petty Officer 3rd Class Citlalic Snell of Los Angeles. Gaeta, 23, wore her Navy dress uniform while Snell, 22, wore a black leather jacket, scarf and blue jeans. The crowd screamed and waved flags around them.

“It’s something new, that’s for sure,” Gaeta told reporters after the kiss.

“It’s nice to be able to be myself. It’s been a long time coming.”

The newspaper comments are more positive than I expected, but there’s still some hilarity.

First off, 2 girls 1 kiss.

Second, I’m actually finding like zero entertaining comments in the comment thread. Seriously, even the standard I TROLL U morons aren’t out in force. Just a couple garden variety bored people. The rest are fairly supportive.

Clearly you need to pick a better newspaper.

He linked to the Seattle Times, and Seattle is a very progressive city, with a prominent gay community, and, according to one of those surveys, the second most promiscuous city in America (after our close neighbor to the south, Portland). If you want fun with moral outrage, find a paper in the Bible Belt.

TTIUWP

Check out nearly any other political article on the Times for some “quality” discourse in the comments. When it comes to gay rights we’re mostly on the same page, I think.

This is for you, Aeon!
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2823351/posts

Holy shit.

so much butthurt in there

Yeah, that’s par for the course for the freepers. Though I did like “But whoa be to those attempting hetro relationships…”

"Wait, what are they…
“… Whoa.”

Reading the OP’s article made me misty and happy. Then I read the Freepers responses and was filled with murderous rage. What a bunch of complete wastes of genetic potential.

The worst part is that readers and writers at the so-called “Free Republic” don’t see anything ironic about wanting to repress gays and lesbians. Your only freedom is the freedom to agree with them. The right’s embrace of fundamentalism and police state tactics is enough to make me weep.

!??!?!?!

I could read these all day:

32 posted on 12/21/2011 9:46:19 AM PST by Trueblackman (Posting on FR since 1998 and 100% teleprompter free post as well.)

61 posted on 12/21/2011 9:59:29 AM PST by B Knotts (Just another Tenther)

80 posted on 12/21/2011 10:11:48 AM PST by USS Alaska (Merry Christmas-Nuke The Terrorist Savages)

They didn’t look at that picture. They looked at a picture some nimrod linked in the freeper comments section, one showing the two most masculine women he could find getting married.

Edit: Jason’s quote added so that his ninja edit doesn’t make my post non-sensical.

I think they were looking at the pic in one of the comment posts.

My guess is that the “too ugly to find a man” fuckheads are referencing the photo of two different women posted at comment 6 – who no doubt match up more closely to the specific “mannish dyke” stereotype that they find so repulsive.

Being lazy, they just didn’t bother to check the original story (and picture). I wonder if it would have made a difference?

Edit: point already made.

Hot lesbians = A-OK

If they were a pair of scrappy young lads, it would be not happening.

I support only attractive gay marriage. Hey, I can totally understand why some hot chicks can’t keep their hands off each other. However, if they looked like Chris Farley it would be a crime against god and nature.

I wonder how much havoc I can cause on that website.

Did you know someone already took the username dogfucker? I am hurt.

Luckily a very similar username was not taken!

edit: Apparently the comments are submitted for review. I submitted this one

I wonder if I will get passed through, I guess I’ll find out soon. If it does I intend to have an exciting time swapping between various personalities and generally acting batshit insane.

edit2: I submitted several, so they deleted my username. Time to make a new one and go for something slightly less inflammatory than chickenfucker.

Please repost here when you do. The best antidote to freepers is to laugh at them.

Why hasn’t the image been posted, directly, in this thread?

God bless!

Because it’s in the article?

Also HOW DARE YOU WEAR LEATHER YOU TROLLOP! HOW MANY COWS DIED TO BRING YOU THAT OUTFIT?!

Sheesh some people, just so offensive.